Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2023, 05:34 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times

Advertisements

Congrats to Parma Ohio for winning the best places to live in 2023 award

https://www.cleveland.com/community/...2023-list.html.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 05:37 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I went to Ukrainian Village in Parma for the church festival last month and had a great time. Lots in the area, nice looking homes, nice people, good location. If I had to move elsewhere in the area, Parma would be in my top 5 probably.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:55 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
My grandma used to make pierogi for their Sunday sales, nothing better!

Old 11-03-2023, 12:47 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Parma's dining scene is surprisingly diverse. There are some really good Indian, Thai, Korean, Latin American, Filipino as well as Polish, German, Ukranian, and other Eastern European bakeries and restaurants. The traffic and the strong presence of grumpy old blatantly racist people are turn-offs though.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:58 AM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Parma's dining scene is surprisingly diverse. There are some really good Indian, Thai, Korean, Latin American, Filipino as well as Polish, German, Ukranian, and other Eastern European bakeries and restaurants. The traffic and the strong presence of grumpy old blatantly racist people are turn-offs though.
Those are my turn-offs to Parma, as well as. While things may be a bit better, today, Parma has a history of race discrimination against African Americans and was the subject of a Federal Court order regarding housing segregation.

Other Parma turn-offs are: poor public transit access (OK, there are some 24/7express buses along Pearl Rd and Ridge and some in Parma's upper NW can drive to some stations along the Airport/Red Line Rapid), sprawl and a lack of walk-a-bility. Other than the airport, there's not much of interest that's close by: Parma's away from the lake and there's not a lot of interesting natural areas... And aside from a few isolated districts, the housing seem to be a lot of bungalows and otherwise uninspired post World War II track housing. Overall, the place just seems boring to me with not that much diversity of people, ideas or things to do.

In sum: you can have Parma as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by TheProf; 11-06-2023 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-06-2023, 11:16 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
I rented a room in an older guy's Parma condo for awhile a few years ago. He used to love saying "Parma's come a long way." I think he was referring to the racial climate as well as the fact that people where he lived accepted him for being gay. I was there during the 2020 election season and, judging from the front lawn signs I saw while out walking, I'd say the city is split pretty evenly between liberals and conservatives. It wasn't my top choice in area to live, but I found things to like there. I liked taking hikes in the West Creek Reservation during the peak of fall foliage, for example, and I discovered a Thai restaurant within walking distance of home.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:30 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I rented a room in an older guy's Parma condo for awhile a few years ago. He used to love saying "Parma's come a long way." I think he was referring to the racial climate as well as the fact that people where he lived accepted him for being gay. I was there during the 2020 election season and, judging from the front lawn signs I saw while out walking, I'd say the city is split pretty evenly between liberals and conservatives. It wasn't my top choice in area to live, but I found things to like there. I liked taking hikes in the West Creek Reservation during the peak of fall foliage, for example, and I discovered a Thai restaurant within walking distance of home.
That's good to know Parma's changing for the better.

Parma is know for its great, classic bowling alleys (with actual old-time leagues), though, without all the high-techie thrills... And that's no put-down because I love to bowl.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:04 PM
on3

498 posts, read 383,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Those are my turn-offs to Parma, as well as. While things may be a bit better, today, Parma has a history of race discrimination against African Americans and was the subject of a Federal Court order regarding housing segregation.

Other Parma turn-offs are: poor public transit access (OK, there are some 24/7express buses along Pearl Rd and Ridge and some in Parma's upper NW can drive to some stations along the Airport/Red Line Rapid), sprawl and a lack of walk-a-bility. Other than the airport, there's not much of interest that's close by: Parma's away from the lake and there's not a lot of interesting natural areas... And aside from a few isolated districts, the housing seem to be a lot of bungalows and otherwise uninspired post World War II track housing. Overall, the place just seems boring to me with not that much diversity of people, ideas or things to do.

In sum: you can have Parma as far as I'm concerned.
Are these top 100 lists just made based on random persons opinions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...exas-list.html

I can think of many cities around Cleveland area that should be ranked higher than Parma, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: