Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 38,598 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

1st of all many thanks to all of you who have responded and helped to solve my queries on my previous post. "Helping each other" truly reflects Clevelanders! Keep it up!

Well, the bad news is that I have decided to rent for now instead of buying a house due my family reasons. Now, I am looking for single bedroom apartment around "Metrohealth Hospital".

I would be staying alone for now and am looking for good apartment around 700$. I can stay around 20-25 Minute drive from Metrohealth. I would prefer safe and somewhat happening place as now I would be living alone for some time. I would also prefer garage parking!!

Any specific names that you all can think? I was looking at Shaker heights? Warrensville heights? Any other areas that you would suggest? ( FYI : My family will be living in Pittsburgh) Given this, would you still suggest west suburbs like Lakewood, Rocky river/? Does it really make difference in real time if I live in Shaker heights or west side suburb, if I wanna see my family at weekends in pittsburgh?

Is downtown per se safe?

Also, I have no idea abt cleveland traffic? Is it really bad especially say if I come from Shaker heights to Metrohealth around 7:30 AM. I think its gotta be thru downtown!!

I would love to hear your responses and suggestions

I thank you all and look forward to be part of Cleveland!

FYI: I am moving in June 2007

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,344 times
Hello! Welcome to Northeast Ohio!!

Traffic traveling from Metro Health to Shaker can get congested as westsiders come in to downtown. I don't think it will be like the parking lots you see at rush hour in other cities though.

Living in Rocky River of Lakewood will add about 20-40 minutes to your trip depending on traffic conditions.

The Shaker Square neighborhood is a nice walkable neighborhood, as is Shaker Heights the suburb. Cleveland Heights (Coventry area) and University Heights are also nice areas that are happening.

Downtown Cleveland is relatively safe, but like in all major cities remember crime lerks so you have to have your wits about you. That said the West 6th street area is definitely a happening area as it has a large cluster of night clubs and restaurants. Downtown also has other nightlife amenities like a House of Blues, Hard Rock Cafe, local bars and nightclubs, A new bowling alley-martini bar concept and many others. Tower city is a 2-3 level mall in downtown and while it has no anchor department stores has many national retailers and has indoor access to The arena and Ball park as well as is the city's main transit hub with rail connections to the airport, Shaker Square and University circle the city's arts, culture and medical hub.

Lake wood and Rocky River are also nice areas, while Lakewood is more "Happening" than RR, though I don't know much about those particular areas.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 38,598 times
Default To MAbcl

Thanks for your info!

Do you knw how the traffic would be when Coming From SHAKER HEIGHTS to Metrohealth Early in the morning around 7:30 AM?

How are the areas like Warrensville? Is it just ok or happening as it seems close to Shaker heights but better access to Freeway!

Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,344 times
From Shaker in the morning rush hour shouldn't be too bad the only thing is there is not good freeway access and you'll have to take surface roads full of commute lengthening red lights and traffic cameras. At worst you have a longer commute at best you get to see parts of the city.

Warrensville is your typical post war suburb, but this area is in somewhat of a decline and I wouldn't say its happening. It does have terrific freeway access and you could probably find a good apartment here, but crime is on the increase. It's alot more auto-dependent than Shaker or CLeveland Heights. The thing about the freeways (you'd probably take I-480) is that it can be a commuters hell in the mornings especially if there is an accident and all four lanes back up. Also note this freeway merges with I-77 and I-271 which carry lots of commuter traffic between Akron and Cleveland, to add to that there is currently a reconstruction of the interchange of I-480 and I-77, so traffic here can be bad at present.

Also I keep mentioning this site on here, but the forums on urbanohio.com is also very active and has people more familiar with some of the areas you are interested in. There have been alot of relocation threads recently with people moving to Cleveland primarily from the Northeast specifically the East coast.

Hope this helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland