Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times

Advertisements

A good portion of Clevelanders have a distinct Great Lakes accent; some don't. The same way that many Cincinnatians have a mild southern accent while others are practically neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,386 times
Default The cleveland accent

I'm a native of Southern Appalachia who lived in the Cleveland area (Shaker, then Lakewood) for about ten years (both of my kids were born in Westlake). One of the things I absolutley HATED about Clevelanders was the glee with which they would make fun of and belittle ANYONE who had even a hint of a southern or appalachian accent. I'd never been called "hillbilly", "hilljack", or "white trash" in my life until I moved to Cleveland. The best part was the indignant denial and defensiveness I would get when I pointed out that the "Great Lakes accent" was as ridiculous as they were saying mine was. I heard that bulls*#^t about "we sound like TV announcers" countless times from mullet-wearing cretins almost every day.

Any Clevelander who thinks that the south has a lock on white trash hasn't driven down Lorain avenue lately.

Perfect example of the Cleveland Accent: Buddy from "Buddy's Carpet" commercial fame.

***** Cleveland.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,811 times
Default Lightin up peepole

While it is hard for me not to be alittle mad at the folks poking fun of
your aksent , I feel you .
Tell a little story here , yes northern folks tell stories too (northern Ohioans) Many years ago when Donnie & Marie were a little country and
a little rock and roll , they were to perform at the Ohio State Fair
As soon as I got of the bus with my dad , if that is not hillybilly
(drove down in less time then taking the bus )
As soon as we reached the fairs gates and was asked for our teekit,
I asked my dad if we were still in ohio , ya zon why? I said where did
all these hillybilly folks come from . Well let me tell you once my
Dad was lossing his English Words and talking German to me , I knew to
shutup . I learned a lesson that day Never make fun of people in front of your folks ! Years latter me and my dad got on talking about things,
while he was mad at me for my comment , he did not want
to tell the people around him , he was sorry in his broken english,
That he taught me better ! Funny thing is I raise my son to be kind
to all . A lesson learned without words from my DAD.

Any Clevelander who thinks that the south has a lock on white trash hasn't driven down Lorain avenue lately.

Perfect example of the Cleveland Accent: Buddy from "Buddy's Carpet" commercial fame.

***** Cleveland.[/quote]

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM

367 posts, read 621,948 times
Every region has an accent, you just don't believe it until you get out of the bubble! haha, I have friends in Canton who think that I have an accent, friends in Pittsburgh that say I do (at least we don't say Zinz, or don ton (downtown), friends in New York think that everyone should sound like them...). haha

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM

73 posts, read 171,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Every region has an accent, you just don't believe it until you get out of the bubble! haha, I have friends in Canton who think that I have an accent, friends in Pittsburgh that say I do (at least we don't say Zinz, or don ton (downtown), friends in New York think that everyone should sound like them...). haha
It's Yinz/Younz, not Zinz!

BTW, does Canton have an accent? I haven't been there enough to know.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:00 PM

367 posts, read 621,948 times
haha, I meant yinz! I guess Canton does a little, but nothing I would say is out there. They claim I pronounce 'fired' differently...

Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Again.. am I the only outsider who moved to Cleveland who notices differences just in the region alone? Areas like Parma, Parma Hts, Middleburg Hts, Seven Hills, Wickliffe, Eastlake, Mentor, etc who have more of a "midwest" accent?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM

73 posts, read 171,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Again.. am I the only outsider who moved to Cleveland who notices differences just in the region alone? Areas like Parma, Parma Hts, Middleburg Hts, Seven Hills, Wickliffe, Eastlake, Mentor, etc who have more of a "midwest" accent?
Just curious - by "midwest" do you mean Great Lakes midwest (Detroit, Chicago, etc.) or Midwest midwest (Indianapolis, Kansas City, etc.)? I'm asking because the accent is a lot different. You could add Upper midwest (Minnesota, Dakotas) as another group too plus a bunch of other subgroups.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 42,856 times
Stumbled onto this thread when I googled "do people from Cleveland, Ohio have accents?" I'm a Black woman, age 53, was born and raised in Cleveland. Left Ohio at age 18, have lived out West since 1979. SoCal for 9 years, now in Oregon since 1988. It wasn't until about a year ago I had people asking about my "Cleveland" accent. I was stunned to hear that because I was raised to believe people from Cleveland don't have accents but apparently we do! Now I will say this: Spent my first 8 years of life on the East side in a mixed Czech/Black neighborhood and the next five on the West Side in an Irish neighborhood and my high school years in a small town about a hour away from Youngstown. I caught hell everywhere I went because of how I spoke: my mother insisted on "standard English" and to the Black folks on the East side I was 'talking and acting White' but to the Westsiders I still sounded like an n-word! Some of the school bullies would extend their lips and claimed I spoke wish some sort of mushmouth sound...oh boy did I spend a lot of time in tears in the girl's bathroom! In high school, I caught it for being a 'city kid' who used too many 'big words' but when I'd go back to Cleveland for visits, I was chastised by relatives and old neighbors for talking like a "hillbilly' or Pennsylvania dutch! Crazy, no? I have a BA in Broadcast Journalism where I learned to use the 'standard non-regional American dialect' and so it just blows my mind to realize I spent over $17K only to have to have people asking me about my Cleveland accent!

Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
The Cleveland accent is subtle, but I can almost always catch when someone talking on media is from this area. It's very close to standard English though, and takes a very attuned ear to hear it.

Ladycascadia, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. That must've been very tough to be made fun of because of your race, how you talked, and where you were from. I hope and believe it's changed a lot for the better in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland