Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

17 posts, read 114,550 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently considering a job opportunity in Greenville, but are hesitant to move to yet another small town. Is there somewhere between Greenville and Raleigh that would put us closer Raleigh but yet still be a reasonable commute to Greenville?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Not really.
I lived in Greenville for 7 years. Being originally from the Detroit Suburbs, I was pretty miserable and bored.

Sorry, good luck.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatively View Post
My husband and I are currently considering a job opportunity in Greenville, but are hesitant to move to yet another small town. Is there somewhere between Greenville and Raleigh that would put us closer Raleigh but yet still be a reasonable commute to Greenville?

Thanks!
Simple, West Wilson.

You will be 35 minutes from the Raleigh beltline.

You will be 35 minutes from Greenville.

Oh yeah, I live over here and I am not miserable.....so just remember everything mhogan says is his opinion. I love this area....but this is also my opinion. If you see where I am getting at!

I am very familiar with Wilson, Greenville, and Raleigh. If you have any questions just ask. I will do my best to answer. I am moving to the east side of Wilson next month to work in Greenville. So I am in the same boat. But I have lived in this area before....so I know I will like it.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM

The main reason I answered as I did was the original posters concern about moving to another small town. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the original poster was from a larger city and didn't like small town life. So, I felt my frame of reference was relevant. Certainly, most people I knew while living in Greenville thought is was great and wouldn't live anywhere else. That just was not my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Simple, West Wilson.

You will be 35 minutes from the Raleigh beltline.

You will be 35 minutes from Greenville.

Oh yeah, I live over here and I am not miserable.....so just remember everything mhogan says is his opinion. I love this area....but this is also my opinion. If you see where I am getting at!

I am very familiar with Wilson, Greenville, and Raleigh. If you have any questions just ask. I will do my best to answer. I am moving to the east side of Wilson next month to work in Greenville. So I am in the same boat. But I have lived in this area before....so I know I will like it.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:08 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
The main reason I answered as I did was the original posters concern about moving to another small town. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the original poster was from a larger city and didn't like small town life. So, I felt my frame of reference was relevant. Certainly, most people I knew while living in Greenville thought is was great and wouldn't live anywhere else. That just was not my experience.
No problem Mhogan. All I was saying is everything said about the ways we feel about NC are opinions.

You living in Brooklyn, Greenville would be a very tough place to adjust to.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
No problem Mhogan. All I was saying is everything said about the ways we feel about NC are opinions.

You living in Brooklyn, Greenville would be a very tough place to adjust to.
I was in the ministry at the time and kept telling myself that I could adjust.
After 12 years at both ends of NC, I finally decided that if you're a city boy at heart you probably will not like the country and visa versa.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM

17 posts, read 114,550 times
Thanks for the responses.

You are correct that we are not big on the small town life. We are currently in an even smaller town than Greenville -- one that doesn't even have a real college or university -- and we spend a lot of our time taking trips to larger cities. We are about 5 hours from a city of any size now, though, so being only 90 miles from Raleigh would be an improvement.

There are some positives to a possible job offer in Greenville that we need to consider. Housing appears to be affordable and we'd have family just a few hours away.

So, what do people do for fun in the Greenville & Wilson areas? How are the movie theaters? What restaurants are there (that aren't chains)? From what I've seen online, there are some cultural events at ECU.

What are the politics like in the area? We are in a very conservative area right now (nearly 80% Republican) and are like fish out of water.

Thanks again for the info! I will do some research on Wilson, per your suggestions.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,372 times
Zebulon,clayton wendell stay away from eastern nc it really does cost the inconvience and lack of variety its also ghetto and utilities are high

Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 PM

44 posts, read 200,890 times
Wilson would not be bad. Kinston too maybe? There is Smithfield as well, which I am more partial to but it would be a pretty heft commute. But they have made a bypass a few years ago on 264 which makes it a lot faster.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 20,885 times
I live in Rocky Mount and love it. Wesleyan University has many cultural events and their is a symphony and science museum as well as many historic neighborhoods. I own a 1923 Georgian Revival in red brick. $ bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths which was in great condition when I purchased it for $100,000.00. Raleigh is 45 minutes away and Greenvile 30. Wilson too is nice, but a little too small for my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina