Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:44 AM

449 posts, read 1,126,382 times

Advertisements

Are any of the Pitt County schools good???? I am so disappointed with my son's currrent middle school!! We are leaving in Aug (lease is up) and we currently live in Farmville. I would move to Greenville if I thought I could find a decent school. I've checked the great schools site, and I felt like it was a matter of picking the "least awful" school. They were right on with the rating they gave Farmville middle. There is a brand new middle school-Hope Middle,I visited it,very nice, but it's so new that ratings test scores etc are not available yet. Can anyone Help me please We may just end up going back to Florida, although we have family in Virginia, and would consider that. Thank you to anyone who can give me some info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Wow! Still no comments??? I guess the schools are all pretty bad Well if nobody can reccomend a good school, how about telling me which ones to avoid!! I may not be able to move out of the area and was hoping I could get some feedback. Please! Anyone?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 151,668 times
I grew up in Greenville and went through the school system. I graduated High School nearly 10 years ago but I don't remember the school system being bad. Are you basing your opinion on test scores? I am happy with my primary education and I feel I was adequately prepared for college.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
I grew up in Greenville and went through the school system. I graduated High School nearly 10 years ago but I don't remember the school system being bad. Are you basing your opinion on test scores? I am happy with my primary education and I feel I was adequately prepared for college.
Thank you for replying Greeny & NO I am not basing my opinion on test scores A lot can change in 10 yrs! My experience has been with Farmville Middle, which supposedly was a good school just a few yrs agol My son has been an A/B student every year until we moved here. Now he is a C/D student, he is struggling! He was reading on an 11th grade level in the 5th grade, here they tell him it's okay to read 5th grade level books!!!!! WHAT?? So much for encouraging kids to excel! I was told by his reading teacher that they were more concerned that the kids were reading and grade level wasn't as significant My son was being continually harassed, hit, called names etc. When I brought it to the admin attention-they did nothing, I told my son to defend himself! SO the very next day there was an incident-and guess who was suspended?? First time ever They should've addressed the issue and spoke with this child who was harassing my son. There was also a group of boys, some camoflauge jacket cliche, and they were also harassing my son!

I've had to pay for math tutoring, he can't seem to get the help he needs from the school. His Pediatrician has diagnosed him as depressed, originally tried to say he had ADD, tried meds for that!! He is not on medication now thank god!! My son is normally sweet, happy go lucky and upbeat, and he's a cutie( girls all like him) guess that's why the boys here tease him.

The school is so rowdy! My son says the kids rule the school, not the teachers and admin. I have spoken with the Principal many times. Notes and phone calls to the teachers always go ignored-always comes down to me going in and making a little scene.

Sorry but I am so passionate about this, don't mean to be long winded! So my whole point of this post is to get information on the other Greenville Middle Schools. As you can see I did not base my opinion on test scores-although they are horrible! There has got to be at least one or two good middle schools in the area. Please somebody enlighten me!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,695 times
i am aware of the ongoing problems at farmville middle. there is a very good staff there, but the engine that runs the train has no steam, and they handcuff the staff. there at one time was an excellent math teacher there, but she has moved on. if you contact the math dept. for pitt co. schools i think some one will be able to help you.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,320 times
Default Farmville Middle supporter

A question to "Proudfamilymember" - Why do you say the engine has lost it's steam. The 06-07 school year was the first year in 5 years that FMS made growth under the North Carolina guidelines and made AYP under the federal guidelines. By the way - they were the only middle school in Pitt County to achieve both of these. Suspensions are down, and test scores are up. Why do you say the teachers are being handcuffed? Good things are happening at Farmville Middle. Teachers and students are being held accountable. Also, they have excellent math teachers - their 8th grade Alg I scores top out at 100% pass rate almost every year. Students and parents are happy and things are looking up. What do you base your thoughts on?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,884 times
Default Greenville Schools?

I am also trying to figure out what the Greenville schools are like. My family is going to be moving to Greenville in a month or so and my husband and I cant seem to figure out what school district to live in for our kids? I would love ANY input I can get. Based on the greatschools ratings the Chicod school has the highest rating for elementary schools based on test scores ( which is the grade area my kids are in). However, when looking for houses there does not seem to be too many options in that school district. I am not familiar with the Greenville area and would love any feedback I can get on public OR private schools. thanks!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGS MOM View Post
I am also trying to figure out what the Greenville schools are like. My family is going to be moving to Greenville in a month or so and my husband and I cant seem to figure out what school district to live in for our kids? I would love ANY input I can get. Based on the greatschools ratings the Chicod school has the highest rating for elementary schools based on test scores ( which is the grade area my kids are in). However, when looking for houses there does not seem to be too many options in that school district. I am not familiar with the Greenville area and would love any feedback I can get on public OR private schools. thanks!
I think Greenville (along with other towns in NC) recently (within the past few years) redid some of their school boundaries. So certain neighborhoods have switched schools. It normally takes a while for the dust to settle after changes like that. But I've only visited Greenville so I don't have any first hand experience with any given school.

We know some people who send their kids to a private church run school in Greenville and they are very happy with it.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 19,117 times
which christian school did they go to in greenville?

Last edited by rozio; 01-11-2009 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I checked out the 2007 - 2008 Grade 7 reading scores on the NC DPI web site. Hope Middle scored a 66. The next best was in the low 50's. I think they changed the test criteria last year, but if you were to base your judgment, solely on the reading EOQ test (and you should not), then Hope MIddle would be a runaway winner.

The mean and the median for all NC schools, grade7 are 56 and 57, FYI.

LLN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina