Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times

Advertisements

I've read with interest many posts and think the Wilmington area may be a good choice to consider retiring soon as it provides some classical cultural offerings, decent close by medical care and natural beauty. I've found the current Elizabeth City discussion to be very helpful. It's refreshing to read honest assessments without too strident bashing, and I hope those familiar with coastal NC will provide me with similarly helpful insight. How welcoming are Wilmington and the surrounding communities? I realize EC is not nearby, but would a liberal, a crunchy granola type, a gay couple or a minority be comfortable in the Wilmington area? If not Wilmington, are there any other coastal communities that might work?

I'm seeking a tolerant and somewhat progressive environment and want to live in an area which is as welcoming to an atheist from Hawaii as a WASP from New England or an interracial family or a gay couple from Europe. Of course, not everyone will react the same, but I wouldn't be comfortable if most are parochial as seems to describe EC. If coastal NC is not a good fit, it's best to know upfront so we can continue searching. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 AM

214 posts, read 822,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful2010 View Post
I've read with interest many posts and think the Wilmington area may be a good choice to consider retiring soon as it provides some classical cultural offerings, decent close by medical care and natural beauty. I've found the current Elizabeth City discussion to be very helpful. It's refreshing to read honest assessments without too strident bashing, and I hope those familiar with coastal NC will provide me with similarly helpful insight. How welcoming are Wilmington and the surrounding communities? I realize EC is not nearby, but would a liberal, a crunchy granola type, a gay couple or a minority be comfortable in the Wilmington area? If not Wilmington, are there any other coastal communities that might work?

I'm seeking a tolerant and somewhat progressive environment and want to live in an area which is as welcoming to an atheist from Hawaii as a WASP from New England or an interracial family or a gay couple from Europe. Of course, not everyone will react the same, but I wouldn't be comfortable if most are parochial as seems to describe EC. If coastal NC is not a good fit, it's best to know upfront so we can continue searching. Thanks for your input.
There have been so many transplantees to the area over the past 10 years, you will find a variety of folks, and all seem to be living peacefully together. Wilmington and the New Hanover county area seems to be a better fit for you than say coastal, rural Brunswick County, but hey my neighbors are gay, and they have had absolutely no problems, and are renting from the Chief of Police, that says a lot right there. My feeling is if you treat others with respect, you will be treated in kind. Of course I'm from the big city, so I have a great deal of tolerance for all types of folks.
It really will all depend on where you feel the most comfortable, you should come down and explore just to get a taste.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
Thanks, SSbelle. I agree with you that tolerance and mutual respect are crucial. Good people exist all over, but life is much more pleasant when there are many kindred spirits to enjoy.

Wilmington may be our spot. My husband was stationed in NC in the 50s when behavior as described in the crunchy granola Elizabeth City post was far too common. At the time it was almost inconceivable that the state would become more enlightened, but, happily, many areas seem to have moved beyond that dismal way of thinking. Still, the responses to the EC post indicate not all areas are as tolerant as one would hope. We don't want to invest in that type of small-minded community or, for example, in neighboring SC with its regressive politics.

I hope we'll be able to explore the area soon.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,451 times
Default Did you ever find a good area?

Hi, I am wondering if you ever found a good coastal area to settel in NC? I am looking to do the same and with the same hopes.
Bieje

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful2010 View Post

Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
I live in Elizabeth City and I love it here. You look for the bad in any community and you will find it. There are places in every city that you should stay away from. I came from SE Virginia. This place is worlds away, but only 40 miles away from where I lived in Va. Its a slower life here. But not far from the Outer Banks or points north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina