Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM

31 posts, read 102,011 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum-trying to get some info before visiting to look for possible future home. Both of these areas have been recommended to us-we are not at all familiar with the NC coast.
Some of our questions:
1. How frequently do hurricanes hit-is one area more susceptible than others?
2. Is house insurance expensive in these areas (relative to what, I know, currently in coastal FL).
3.Are these areas predominantly tourist or retirement or both.
I guess I am asking, are they honky-tonk beach towns?
4.Availability of regional medical center?
Basically, just trying to get an overview of the area.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM

68 posts, read 118,507 times
I just moved to Oak Island, but I'll answer what I can. Hopefully some more established residents will also post
1. I believe that all of the Brunswick Islands share the same hurricane risk..if there's a hurricane, it'll hit
2. I am renting, but even with that many national insurance companies wouldn't insure us because we are in a high risk area. The cost itself is about 30% higher for renter's insurance, I can't speak to what it would be for the structure.
3. It's not like Myrtle Beach or Wilmington. Definitely visit in multiple seasons before moving. Oak Island is extremely quiet right now. Beautiful and quiet. Southport has I think the only Walmart in the area that closes at 11, so if you need anything after 11, you need to run to Shallotte. Not a huge deal, but not fun to find out at 11:30 when you need sugar or what have you.
4. Shallotte, Southport, Wilmington, and Myrtle Beach have hospitals. Your insurance provider can probably tell you best where the coverage is.

I wish I could answer everything but that's my 2 cents.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
I'll also give a couple answers.

Some of your questions can be answered by searching the boards. Look for the discussion of St. James and you will find some info on both towns. In addition the main City-Data profile has statistics on both towns, like average age, income and average house prices, location of hospital and college, major employers, weather, etc. Just see www.city-data.com, and look up the town.

Southport has both retirees and local people. It is definitely not a honky-tonk beach town, and the retirees are fairly affluent. There are lots of gated, golf communities. I do not know Ocean Isle Beach.

As the PP said, hurricane risk is the same. Insurance is higher than inland, but probably less than Florida. We pay $2400 on a house with replacement value about $325K.

Decent hospitals are available, as well as clinics, but you may drive further than in Florida.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-05-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Southport has both retirees and local people. It is definitely not a honky-tonk beach town, and the retirees are fairly affluent. There are lots of gated, golf communities. I do not know Ocean Isle Beach
And I know Ocean Isle (not "Isles") but not Southport. OIB, as it's commonly abbreviated, is very much a "summer town", mostly cottages and not a lot there except what serves a vacationing beachgoer. I think you'd want Southport or somewhere closer to Wilmington if you were moving there full-time.

There is no way to predict where a hurricane will hit, but the two are very close together, so that question is moot anyway. The NC coast does get some activity because of the way it juts out, though the Outer Banks to the north (check a map to see what I mean) are in most danger of that. However, we do get hurricanes inland in NC as well. not commonly, but we do, and certainly anywhere on the coast should be ready for a hurricane(s) any season.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,849 times
My family owned a home on Holden Beach (located between Southport and Ocean Isle) for approximately 15 years, so I may be able to help answer some of your questions.

Hurricanes - The Brunswick County coastal area hasn't taken a direct hit by a major hurricane in several years. Luckily for the folks in that area, the storms that have came on shore along that area of the coast have made landfall where the Cape Fear Inlet meets the Atlantic. By doing so, the Brunswick beachs have been on the weaker side of the storm. But, in my opinion, that area of the coast has been very lucky. The position of the barrier islands (the islands run from West to East, and face due South) from Little River SC up to Southport NC make that area very susceptible for a major hurricane. The "big one" that everyone talks about in that area is Hurricane Hazel, which happened in October 1954. Holden Beach and Long Beach were completely destroyed. So, to answer you question, hurricanes can and will happen in that area. How severe they will be, depends on your luck at that time.

Insurance - In all honesty, it depends on where your property is located. If you are on the mainland side of the Intercoastal and within 1000 ft of the water, you insurance will be expensive. If you live on say Ocean Isle or Holden Beach, hurricane insurance may not be available. If you can find it, it will be VERY expensive. Our hurricane coverage had to be purchased through "Lloyds of London" for several years.

Tourist or Retirement - The islands of Ocean Isle and Holden Beach are mainly vacation homes. The year round population is very small. The Oak Island beaches are mixed. The year round population of Oak Island is around 8,000. Although Southport is a big tourist destination, it is mostly year round living.

Honky-Tonk'n - You would have to go to Myrtle Beach for that. All of the Brunswick County beach are highly family oriented.

Health Care - The Bruswick Hospital located north of Shallotte serves the Ocean Isle and Holden Beach areas. It is operated by the Novant Health Group. Southport has a smaller but nice hospital. There are a lot of various medical offices along Hwy 211 in the Oak Island/Southport area.

Knowing what I know about the area, if I wanted to live year round, at or very close to the beach, I would look strongly at the Oak Island/Southport area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina