Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,179 times

Advertisements

So, My husband and I with our 3 children are thinking about moving to NC from MB, SC. Its a resort town, and hardly any work here. My parents also moved down with us, and my dad who is very qualified, still cannot find work that pays more than $8 an hour. So my question is, we love the coast, but we know that there arent very many prosprous year round work areas. Is there? What about schools? Any info anyone can give us? Maybe Greenville? Not looking to get rich, just live mildly comfortable, near a town that has more than 40-50k residents? My husband is a plumber, so new construction is a MUST. I've done mostly retail, customer service and Admin. Looking to go to school for Horticulture (i know its kinda a dead end), comp. tech, or vet. assistant. Any advice? Looking at Greenville, but would love something like Morehead City or something along OBX or the beaches more south, but worried Wilmington and jacksonville arent gonna cut the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesurfergirl View Post
Not looking to get rich, just live mildly comfortable, near a town that has more than 40-50k residents? My husband is a plumber, so new construction is a MUST.
Jacksonville has plenty of new construction going on. It is a town of 70,000, and maybe not your ideal. But I believe a qualified plumber can find work here. For admin jobs, you may have to check the government job site at USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site .

Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
A friend of mine is from Myrtle Beach and works in Jacksonville. His parents moved up from Myrtle Beach to live with him. He actually lives in Beulaville, though, not Jacksonville.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Recall, Greenville is around 90minutes from salt water.

The only cities over 40k, east of I-95 are: Wilmington, Greenville, Jacksonville, Rocky Mount and Wilson. Goldsboro is soon to be right around 40k (36k in 2010).

Wilmington economy is based on the beach. Greenville is East Carolina and the Hospital. Jacksonville is the Marines. I wouldn't suggest Rocky Mount. Wilson is whatever. It is in between Raleigh and Greenville.

Greenville seems to have a decent amount of construction going on, and I assume Jacksonville. But I don't know with the other ones.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM

374 posts, read 812,769 times
It worked out for Kenny Powers.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
The construction industry is a very tough field in this economy. Although things are slowly improving, work is still very scarce. Many of the builders/developers are loyal and have used the same plumbers/electricians/contractors for years. I would be sure to have a job lined up before moving or have alot of $$$$ saved up. Best of luck.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
So, My husband and I with our 3 children are thinking about moving to NC from MB, SC. Its a resort town, and hardly any work here. My parents also moved down with us, and my dad who is very qualified, still cannot find work that pays more than $8 an hour. So my question is, we love the coast, but we know that there arent very many prosprous year round work areas. Is there? What about schools? Any info anyone can give us? Maybe Greenville? Not looking to get rich, just live mildly comfortable, near a town that has more than 40-50k residents? My husband is a plumber, so new construction is a MUST. I've done mostly retail, customer service and Admin. Looking to go to school for Horticulture (i know its kinda a dead end), comp. tech, or vet. assistant. Any advice? Looking at Greenville, but would love something like Morehead City or something along OBX or the beaches more south, but worried Wilmington and jacksonville arent gonna cut the bill.
It sounds like you don't really know WHAT you are looking for--including whther such a place will be found in NC. Have you considered the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area (biggest city on the coast in that vicinity) or Charleston, or Savannah, all which wuld have more "going on"? Why NC specifically?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,179 times
His family still lives in upstate SC and my relatives are moving when they retire, to NC also. I'm still trying to talk him into "Hampton Road", kinda far from upstate SC. I'll research Jacksonville first, any recommendations on public elem. schools?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
It worked out for Kenny Powers.
Only because he taught himself to throw a knuckleball and Texas' closer got hit by a van.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
I'll research Jacksonville first, any recommendations on public elem. schools?
I don't have personal experience, but Southwest and Bell Fork in Jacksonville are above-average rated elemetary schools. Swansboro ES ia also above average. Swansboro is a nice town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina