Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,600 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am posting because I would love to have some of your opinions on a move to Shallotte, NC. I am from Baltimore but grew up in a small town in OR and want my kids in the same kind of atmosphere. I am nervous and was just looking for any input anyone my have. I am a RN and will most likely commute to Grand Strand or New Hanover for a job. My husband is in sales for Coors, and feels like everyone drinks beer. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 01:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Hi

My in laws live in ocean isle and have lived in sunset beach - off of the beach in both places. I think shallotte is a nice area, I do not think that the brunswick public schools are great. I don't know what other types of schools are available there (private, charter, etc), I just have not heard good things about the middle schools. From what I have seen driving down there, there are a number of private schools that are christian based, and a few that are not. you can check out greatschools.net and that will at least give you the names of the schools in shallotte and the surrounding area.

I do think shallotte has that small town feeling, but at the same time, it is also a tourist place, with lots more traffic from memorial day to labor day. I don't think you or your spouse would have problems getting jobs there, you just may want to figure out if it is the small town atmosphere you are looking for!!!!

Leigh

Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,600 times
Thank you for your input I will have to look into the private schools I suppose. I often wonder how they would compare to a Baltimore City school district?
Thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
You know, I have no idea how they compare, I just looked at greatschools.net and the bruswick county public school system webpage and looked the the test scores. The elementary schools seemed fine, but the middle was not. So, there seemed to be a number of private schools in the area, but I don't know what their education base is like. I just know, for me, my moves are now going to have to be based on the schools for my kids.......I can't afford private school, but we are in wake county and see to have lots of choices for the kids. I don't know if brunswick county has as many charter and magnet programs.

Best of luck

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina