Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times

Advertisements

Many folks have a hard time adjusting to the ocean along the Crystal Coast actually being to the south of our beaches instead of to the east.

Our beaches run pretty well east-west along the coast. I don't know that having a beach oriented that way makes a lot of difference but it means catching sunrises and sunsets is a little different. When we lived on the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, the sun set over the water.

As you can see from these pictures taken on the beach near the Eastern Access Parking at Emerald Isle, the sun is definitely setting almost straight down the beach.

By the way, the water temperature is still in the upper seventies. The air temperature which was summer like until today is supposed to cool down over the weekend.

Come on down and enjoy the best time of the year at the beach this weekend. The Swansboro Mullet Festival is this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 PM

222 posts, read 936,448 times
The sunsets last week were spectacular! I just saw one sunrise, though.

Forgot to mention I saw your article in "Dropping Anchor" which I enjoyed reading. The Mullet festival was fun for the couple of hours I was there. It got too crowded too fast, though.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile The Mullet Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
The sunsets last week were spectacular! I just saw one sunrise, though.

Forgot to mention I saw your article in "Dropping Anchor" which I enjoyed reading. The Mullet festival was fun for the couple of hours I was there. It got too crowded too fast, though.
Thanks, I had to dig pretty hard to find out information on the White Oak.

I was at the Mullet Festival this afternoon. It was a fantastic day and the crowds thinned out this afternoon. I heard it was really crowded Saturday.

Here are some slides of the Mullet Festival that I took this afternoon.

You don't want to catch too many sunrises unless you can just roll out of bed and see them.

Our home in Roanoke, VA is like that. I could wake up take a few sunrise shots and stumble back to bed. I have a number of those posted on a photo site.

Here I have to drive over to the beach, and you can spend some chilly mornings waiting for the sun

This one that I call Morning Waters (http://coastalnc.org/morningwaters - broken link) is one of my favorite Emerald Isle sunrises.

-David Sobotta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina