Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 24,726 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the information so far its been very helpful. I do have a few more questions and sure I'LL have more but first could someone clear up the crime rate for us. From what i read from people that live there it sounds like a nice safe area but what i see as far as the crime rate index it rates kinda high on more than one site. It has us a little concerned. Also silly question i'm sure but do you guys get snow (more than a dusting) ive seen pics with snow there? And last for now how far to the closest mountainand to the closest ski hill. Oh and any suggestions on dance and gymnastics places for my daughter. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etraveler View Post
Thank you so much for the information so far its been very helpful. I do have a few more questions and sure I'LL have more but first could someone clear up the crime rate for us. From what i read from people that live there it sounds like a nice safe area but what i see as far as the crime rate index it rates kinda high on more than one site. It has us a little concerned. Also silly question i'm sure but do you guys get snow (more than a dusting) ive seen pics with snow there? And last for now how far to the closest mountainand to the closest ski hill. Oh and any suggestions on dance and gymnastics places for my daughter. Thank you again!
1. Crime. I can only suggest you contact the Sheriff's office: Contacts The indexes may contain break-ins in vacant beach houses, thefts from stores, arrests of people drinking at the beach, etc. As I look at the main City-Data report on Morehead City, the number of violent crimes like murder, rape and assault is quite low. The largest number is theft, which may simply be shop-lifting. I would not be terribly worried.

2. Snow. We get 1-2 inches of snow every couple of years. The kids in my neighborhood were happy to get out their sleds for one day this year. The ski areas might be a Massanuten, Virginia, 6 hours away or Beech Mountain, NC, 6 hours and 15 minutes away.

3. Gymnastics? I'll leave that to someone else.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Keep in mind when talking about crime that beach areas have tourists and they are on vacation and sometimes they get a bit rowdy...so those crimes are typically smaller type crimes, not neighborhood type crimes....more like alcohol related stuff.

Snow every 4-5 years or so...can happen, but rare.

Gymnastics and sports stuff is going to be limited because its not a high population area, if there is one, its probably only one...won't be many options of stuff like that.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM

107 posts, read 257,272 times
There is a Gymnastics center in Cedar Point and two dance schools, one in Emerald Isle and one in Swansboro. Crime is low in the whole of Carteret county.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Crystal Coast Gymnastics Morehead City, Inc Home

index

Home

Just a small sampling. There are more. AS I said before about Havelock, but is true for Carteret County and New Bern as well, depending on the neighborhood, is that the area is very youth oriented. The community is centered around the children and schools from rec sports through high school. That's the real reason for the above average schools in Craven and Carteret vs the most of the rest of ENC.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 AM

37 posts, read 61,950 times
Dead body behind the visitor center, murder on the waterfront....seems like more than smaller type crimes. I am considering moving up from Pleasure Island and this is concerning....and startling. Is this typical of MHC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
tourists .....and sometimes they get a bit rowdy...so those crimes are typically smaller type crimes, not neighborhood type crimes....more like alcohol related stuff.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrsealife View Post
Dead body behind the visitor center, murder on the waterfront....seems like more than smaller type crimes. I am considering moving up from Pleasure Island and this is concerning....and startling. Is this typical of MHC?
I believe the body near the visitor center was a man who died from natural causes. There was a July 4 bar fight, and a man was charged with involuntary manslaughter: Fatal July 4 bar fight suspect makes first court appearance - WSAV: News, Weather, and Sports for Savannah, GA

Was this the "murder" you referred to? Things like this stand out more, because the coast is supposed to be a peaceful vacation area. But, where-ever people gather, there will be fights and sometimes violent death. There were two stabbing deaths at North Topsail Beach also. These were a domestic dispute and the offender has been caught.

Events like this do not mean that MHC will be dangerous to you. They primarily involve people who hang around bars or get into fights over drugs or infidelity. If you are a law-abiding home-body, you have a large chance of being very safe.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 PM

37 posts, read 61,950 times
Thank you for the insight. I am law-abiding but don't plan to live my life staying at home. Not saying I go to the bars. I don't, but "large chance" doesn't feel big enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you are a law-abiding home-body, you have a large chance of being very safe.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM

107 posts, read 257,272 times
Morehead City is a very nice town...you will see cops patrolling, that keeps crime down. Every town has a down side, but Morehead City is way ahead of the big crime curve. Drugs are probably the most prevalent concern there and anywhere. Feel free to ask for more help..

Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I don't want to insult you, but a lot of nice, respectable live in Morehead. You are neither more special nor more vulnerable than they. You are worried about the wrong stuff. You should be most concerned about healthcare. The hospital is ok, but you would not want to bet your life on that outfit. It is not bad medicine, just pretty small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina