Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 9,776 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in a small (and horrendously redneck) area of NC for 3 years now where we have family. We are in our late-twenties and we have decided it is time to relocate. Our goal is to be as close to the coast as we can get. We have spent a lot of time vacationing near the Southport area, but are looking at the Wilmington area as well. My husband can easily relocate with his job as he works from a home office. I am a cardiac nurse, so job opportunities in the medical field is a necessity. Being able to afford property as close to the water as our budget allows is a priority. We are looking at homes around $250,000. Wilmington seems to offer more in terms of restaurants and places to go, and I actually interviewed at the hospital there last year and toured the town, but we just seem to be more drawn to the Southport area. We actually like the quieter, small-town feel of that area. Both places are on our short list, and we are weighing the pros and cons for each. We would greatly appreciate any advice from those that are experienced residents! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read our post!
Other things to consider if you care to know more:
-We are not first time homebuyers, and are willing to own a small home that needs a little "fixing up"
-I work three days a week with my schedule so I'm willing to commute 30-45 minutes
-We do not have children- and have no plans for any- so schools are not a priority
-We like to adventure on the weekends. So for day to day living it is not a big priority to have lots to do nearby. We just like to be within a reasonable driving distance to many fun options.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
So late 20's and no plans for kids?

If that is indeed the case, then Brunswick Co may be a good option. Just keep this in mind, for 250K you will probably end up about 3-5 miles from the beach (assuming you can get a job at either Dosher or in Bolivia). In Wilmington, most neighborhoods are 3-5 miles from the beach. But you did say you liked the small town feel.

I would look to see what you can get IN Southport for 250K. To me, the appeal of that town is to be IN Town, walking/biking distance to everything. As well, being in town insulates you somewhat from the summer craziness (when the beach communities fill up). If 250K can't get you want you want, check the Shallotte area, which was depressed during the recession but will come back because of its central location.

If you get a job in Wilmington, I would recommend living in New Hanover County, the commute back and forth across the bridge or to Hampstead is not neccessary and just wastes time/gas.

Some folks don't like Myrtle Beach, but it is actually a great day trip (especially in non summer months)...that is possible from Wilmington and Brunswick Co. Charleston is a great weekend trip. And there is lots of adventure to be had along the coast as well.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Thank you for your post. Yes, we like kids, we just don't want our own We figure we will end up at least a few miles from the beach, and that is OK with us. I've applied to Dosher, but they are much smaller than NHRMC, so I'm limited with my job choices. Thank you for mentioning Bolivia, because I have not considered that area for employment. Realistically it will come down to where I get a job, and that will probably be in Wilmington because of greater options. And Charleston is one of our favorite places to travel!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM

Here is the link for Novant in Bolivia...

About us | Brunswick Medical Center | Novant Health

It's a brand new facility. Bolivia is the county seat and is where the Community College, Courthouse, and County Offices are located. Lots of professionals in Brunswick Co drive to Bolivia for work. Its not too bad a trip from Southport using 211 and Midway Rd...maybe 20-25 minutes.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Any thoughts on buying property in Oak Island. On paper it's alluring to find a new home that is affordable for us and a five minute walk to the beach. But it seems too good to be true?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 AM

413 posts, read 701,697 times
Not familiar with Oak Island, I'm up on Topsail, just a warning to investigate flood zones and insurance rates before investing. Some of those houses are cheap for a reason. We had a wise realtor advising us. It is wonderful living in sight of the ocean. Many purchase homes saying "we'll only be a mile from the beach," but they never get out here. There is always the risk it will all get washed away, though.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM

38 posts, read 75,168 times
Hey NurseNat, Wilmington is a wonderful place to live! I'm 28 and have lived here for the past 10 years. Southport's very nice too and I would probably consider retiring there some day. I do like living in Wilmington though cause there's always something to do. As far as beaches, Wrightsville Beach is nice and very popular. I've never gone on Oak Island so I can't comment and don't know anything about the builders on the southern Brunswick beaches but I can refer you to someone if you would like more information.

Kure Beach is the southern-most beach in New Hanover County and might be an area for you to look into as well as it's fairly small and much quieter than Wrightsville or even Carolina Beach just north of it. I think it could fit your commute times as long as you avoid rush hour, and there are a couple of houses for sale in that price point within a mile or so of the beach. There's also a small community just northeast of Wilmington called Scott's Hill that might be a good compromise between the small town feel you're looking for, but close to beaches and all the activities in Wilmington.

A lot of people our age have taken up paddle boarding in the past few years, so that and kayaking are fun and easy ways to create your own adventures exploring the numerous islands in the Intracoastal Waterway and Cape Fear River. I bought a small boat a few years ago and I love to explore the area with it. The Wilmington area has a lot of great restaurants, so there are always lots of tasty places nearby no matter where you end up. Plus, there are also festivals and events in Wilmington going on frequently on the weekends too, so I think you'll find plenty of things to do in the region! If you have any other questions, fire away.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Thank you for your post. I was looking at some homes in Carolina Beach per your advice, and I'm so surprised by the prices and proximity to the beach!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:44 PM

I would recommend Carolina Beach or Kure Beach over Oak Island, although the Ocean can be rougher because it faces East (Oak Island faces South). One of the main reasons I suggest it is because of schools (New Hanover over Brunswick), which you are not worried about...however it does affect property value. I know a number of folks that are moving to "Pleasure Island" for permanent residents with kids, because they love the proximity to the beach and its much more affordable than Wrightsville.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Oak Island, and I lived there, is what I call a working man's beach. Other than front row, a few second row, and along Yacht Drive (ICW) most houses are small and not luxurious. Again, I lived there, so I am not throwing stones. But, you can live mid island and walk to the beach in 5 minutes. if you live near, I think it is 40th street. Only a few streets cross the mid island canal.

The real issue with Oak Island is the Cape Fear River. It empties into the Atlantic at the east end of the island, and the water flows west. The water nearshore Oak Island is dingy, due to suspended sediment coming out of Cape Fear. If is not dirty, or polluted, but it is not crystal clear blue, either.

That is one reason there is still land to be purchased on the island.

We have been gone a long time, a lot has changed, but we found living on the island was vastly different from vacationing there (extended stays in family house).

My advice to look near Swansboro or Beaufort. The coast there, though not as accessible as on Oak Island, is nicer and the water is much clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina