Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 12:34 PM

29 posts, read 123,512 times

Advertisements

We are a semi-retired, couple in our mid-60s looking to relocate to the North Carolina coast in 2014. We previously lived in the Piedmont Triad for 8 years and are generally familiar with North Carolina. We have also lived in 4 other states when I worked full-time and traveled a lot for my work.

We would like to have as many of the following as possible:

* Access to beaches within a reasonable driving distance. My wife loves the ocean and I need salt air and salt water for my congestion and skin problems.
* Access to classical music teachers and the arts. We are both musical and play piano and organ.
* A location where we can identify with other retirees.
* Quiet, semi-rural living in a small town with low crime.
* Home health care work availability. My wife is a CNA/HHA and works part-time.
* Reasonable housing cost of about $700/mo.
* Access to chiropractic care

Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:41 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeltz48 View Post
We would like to have as many of the following as possible:

* Access to beaches within a reasonable driving distance. My wife loves the ocean and I need salt air and salt water for my congestion and skin problems.
* Access to classical music teachers and the arts. We are both musical and play piano and organ.
* A location where we can identify with other retirees.
* Quiet, semi-rural living in a small town with low crime.
* Home health care work availability. My wife is a CNA/HHA and works part-time.
* Reasonable housing cost of about $700/mo.
* Access to chiropractic care

Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.
It think it is going to be impossible to find all of your requirements in a single town. I am a retiree living in Sneads Ferry, which is the semi-rural town within a couple miles to the ocean. You can find similar conditions in Surf City and Topsail Beach. What you will find for $700 rent will be a small apartment or mobile home. We have a Chiropracter in Jacksonville, and I am sure your wife could find work.

You would probably have to drive to Wilmington to find classical music teachers or much of an arts community. I subscribe to XM radio to hear any classical music as we are too far away from the Public Broadcasting stations. We have a senior center in town where you could have lunch or play bingo, but the majority of people here are young families connected with the Marines. So there isn't much of a senior "community", although we have a few retired friends here. If you wanted a much larger senior population, you could look at Leland and Southport, but the prices will be much more expensive. You might investigate Morehead City and Beaufort, but I am less familiar with them.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
You might check out New Bern. I am not that familiar with it but have heard its a popular retirement location. I have a friend from high school who lives there and she seems to like it.

South Carolina (Charleston area maybe) might be worth looking into also.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeltz48 View Post
* Access to beaches within a reasonable driving distance. My wife loves the ocean and I need salt air and
There a couple of issues to be aware of:

1. Some coastal counties do not have laws against open burning, so there are times when the air is filled with smoke. The developers are clear cutting land and burning the pine stumps. If you have lung problems that would be bothered by smoke, then find an area with no development or strong ocean breezes. Perhaps Currituck or Dare Counties would work.

2. There are noises from artillery firing, and helicopter flights from Camp Lejeune, sometimes late at night. If the noise would bother you, you might look at least 25 miles away from Lejeune.

3. There are some crime issues, but not violence against people. There was a drug dealer who held up the drug store to get pain pills, and people with meth labs are arrested occasionally. You should not leave cars or houses unlocked because there are people who steal stuff.

4. There is a piano teacher with a sign outside her house, but I have no idea if she is good with classical music. I think you would have to go to Wilmington for that.

Otherwise, we enjoy Sneads Ferry despite a few disadvantages.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:15 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Beaufort/Morehead City or Wilmington might fit the bill.

Don't know about the classical music teacher situation, but there is an active classical music concert series--The American Music Festival--that performs in Morehead City/Beaufort--and in Wilmington. The organization brings in performers from all over the country. Their musical director might steer you toward teachers.

American Music Festival of North Carolina

Your rent budget is tight, but you might find something is you're ideal tenants -- no smoking/pets.

Morehead City has a hospital as does New Bern. Both areas are alive with retirees/lifestyle changers. You'll soon make friends. Crime is pretty low compared to most urban areas.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
Charleston area might be worth looking into though I am not that familiar with it but I have heard its a good retirement location.
Before some days I have read this blog and you must check it if you are concern about access to beaches within a reasonable driving distance -http://bit.ly/16JCqhG

Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Charleston is beautiful, but that budget would need doubling for a nice place. It's not cheap at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina