Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 8,350 times

Advertisements

I see that Wilmington is a hub for filming movies, wondering if there are any schools in the area that accommodate students looking to get into the industry (not in an acting capacity)? Arts schools, film schools etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_us4 View Post
I see that Wilmington is a hub for filming movies, wondering if there are any schools in the area that accommodate students looking to get into the industry (not in an acting capacity)? Arts schools, film schools etc.
Film production at Cape Fear Community College: Public Service Department

Also UNC Wilmington has Film Studies: http://uncw.edu/filmstudies/

Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I don't know how big an area you are looking at, but NC School of the Arts (UNCSA) has I think the #7 film school in the known universe. It is a state treasure, and when you factor in costs to the above rankings, UNCSA is number 1 in a cakewalk. It is, however, more of a conservancy. You will not make it if you are not totally passionate and fully committed.

Have said all that, I have heard that ther is some level of animosity by the Wilmington film group toward UNCSA film grads. You might want to keep that in mind.

Heads up. The film business runs on interns. Basically slaves. They get no pay for their work. Focus in a specific niche in the biz, where you need the education to function, such as editing or cinematography, possibly, production. Take 6 or 8 months expenses to your first location because it takes time, and relationships before you get paid.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 AM

61 posts, read 115,219 times
We moved to this area last summer and I am loving all the filming that is happening. Our daughter remained in our home state (Maine) to finish her Senior year with her friends, and work on and independent film that was shot there back in the fall. She has so far been accepted at UNCSA and three colleges in California (only one holds her interest, its Columbia College Hollywood). She has some experience within the industry, and has served as a PA on two independent films, as well as writing and directing a short film a few years ago (which went on to win several student film awards around the country). We got the chance to tour UNCSA and really thought it would be a great place for her, but I also know that she is thinking she would have a better opportunity in LA. Hoping she makes the right decision in the end! Film....is a tough business to get into, its not for wimps :-)

Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM
LLN

My oldest graduated in May. It is a difficult biz. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
My oldest graduated in May. It is a difficult biz. Good luck.
I think you shared some valuable information with me last year. You are right...it is a difficult biz. Has your daughter found a job, and how is she feeling about the time she spent at school?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM
LLN

Things have not worked out well. Started out great!

Before graduation she had three films lined up. Late May through mid July, August and September, and then October -mid November. That is as good as it gets.

The first two did not happen, one drawing a lot of Hollywood attention. Then NC started getting rid of the film tax breaks so she and some friends moved to New York.

Some short videos, only a few paying gigs, and just got a job as barista to help pay bills.

She has been close a couple of times. But she has done Nothing anywhere near her education level. Just menial PA jobs. She drove a rather large truck, carrying film crew around NYC several weeks ago. That was impressive.

Three comments on school

1. Fantastic education in arts. Zip on how to break in to the biz.
2. There is no evidence whatsoever of the highly touted Alumni Network
3. Other than the week trip to LA, the school has been of zero value in job placement. Zero.

She had a full ride academically to a top engineering school in the North East, and was positioned to do the same at an astronomically rated liberal arts college.

But, "She didn't want to go there." I can still hear that voice.

I hate being "right" on this one, but this is pretty painful,

Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Things have not worked out well. Started out great!

Before graduation she had three films lined up. Late May through mid July, August and September, and then October -mid November. That is as good as it gets.

The first two did not happen, one drawing a lot of Hollywood attention. Then NC started getting rid of the film tax breaks so she and some friends moved to New York.

Some short videos, only a few paying gigs, and just got a job as barista to help pay bills.

She has been close a couple of times. But she has done Nothing anywhere near her education level. Just menial PA jobs. She drove a rather large truck, carrying film crew around NYC several weeks ago. That was impressive.

Three comments on school

1. Fantastic education in arts. Zip on how to break in to the biz.
2. There is no evidence whatsoever of the highly touted Alumni Network
3. Other than the week trip to LA, the school has been of zero value in job placement. Zero.

She had a full ride academically to a top engineering school in the North East, and was positioned to do the same at an astronomically rated liberal arts college.

But, "She didn't want to go there." I can still hear that voice.

I hate being "right" on this one, but this is pretty painful,
Oh no...not what I wanted to hear! We were told some wonderful things while touring UNCSA about both the Alumni Network, and job placement. They made it sound like the job placement of students was GREAT. I had a good feeling about the college. Our daughter worked on the set of an Indy film last fall for four weeks. She worked with a lot of people from LA....all of them told her not to waste money on college, that once in LA...they could care less if you have a degree, they want experience. Regardless of what your degree is, you will start out as a PA. I fear this may very well be true.
She and her dad will be making a trip next month to tour Columbia College LA. I have mixed feelings about it, but much will depend upon what financial package she gets offered from both colleges. She had made several connections in LA and they are encouraging her to head that way. I am just not sure its the right move. Some difficult decisions ahead for her....

Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
LLN

I think it is essential, if you are gonna study film, to study something that the guy off the street cannot do. For instance, editing. My daughter is in Production Design, which, at some point her education will pay off, but initially, they can get a dancing bear to make and fill out sets. That is the issue, getting past/above menial work.

I was stunned after all the hubba hubba we heard about the alumni, how my daughter is pretty much left on her own. I aske her to call the school and their advice was don't work for free, you are certainly worth getting paid for. That was real helpful!

Now, my daughter is not very people oriented (not good in film, but she knows all) and I am not sure how that has played into the network.

I guess I figured it would be, we have have another Fighting Pickle in NYC, lets go have a drink, let me show you around, let me introduce you to....that sort of thing. That has not happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina