Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yeah i agree with this. the news sites attract some of the worst slack-jawed yokels in the area.
If someone thinks "their news site has the worst commenters" then they haven't explored enough. This is like the people who say "XXX city/state has the worst drivers" or "YYY is the most backwoods".

News flash, the vast majority of everything between people, especially in the US, is fairly similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If someone thinks "their news site has the worst commenters" then they haven't explored enough.
good thing i didn't say that, then.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
According to the NC Board of Elections, the breakdown in voter registration in New Hanover county is:

54,026 Dem
51,198 Rep
959 Libertarian
49,457 Unaffaliated

In other words, it's a very Purple county (like NC as a whole).

Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If someone thinks "their news site has the worst commenters" then they haven't explored enough. This is like the people who say "XXX city/state has the worst drivers" or "YYY is the most backwoods".

News flash, the vast majority of everything between people, especially in the US, is fairly similar.
Yeah I didn't say it either. WECT has some mouth breathers as commenters, but so do other organizations. There may be worse, but Wilmington is a pretty small town. Besides, I did tell the OP not to make my mistake

Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley05 View Post
Because some people are natural adapters and others constant complainers. If you can't handle change, then don't.

Sticking with something that is a bad fit when there are an abundance of alternatives in a large country isn't "adaptation" or "perseverance" as you imply, but simply foolhardiness. Labeling people who share their honest opinions as complainers also serves no productive purpose.

As for death row, life is like chess - at the end of the game, the pieces all go in the box.

Irrelevent.
-rr

Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
I think NC is a great place to live....

Once you get past how the locals treat you. And, how the locals treat persons of color, or different beliefs, or people who don't want others to starve.

Once you past all those little things... IT'S GREAT HERE!

Want to buy my house?
from your posts , it appears that you don't even live in the wilmington area.

or you ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm a registered Republican that overwhelming votes as I please. My vote can be found red or blue and sometimes not at all if I don't like anyone that is running. I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. I believe in God but don't attend a church.

It's pretty rare that any of this comes up in conversations with people. When I first moved here in 2006, the neighborhood I was in was traditional old south and the question of religion was asked a few times. I've since moved and no one has asked me since then.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
or you ..
What's your point? You're thinking that few miles is going to make a big cultural difference in Eastern NC? Ha!

Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
What's your point? You're thinking that few miles is going to make a big cultural difference in Eastern NC? Ha!
yes. eastern north carolina is bigger than some northeastern states.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 AM

69 posts, read 181,635 times
Your work colleagues and neighborhood will have the most influence on your impression. It was the same when I lived in NYC. I had some jobs there where everyone voted republican and where I frequently heard blatantly racists and right wing comments but also had jobs where the work force was very international, intellectual, and diverse.

The historic downtown is more likely to have the vibe you want. It is patchy though and has pockets of crime. Midtown is another possibility. My guess is that Ogden or monkey junction would be more conservative and areas near the beaches would be a mixed bag. North Carolina does attract a lot of northern republicans so it is not just a north south thing. Many of them flock to the gated communities and never go downtown. Northern suburbs tend to be far more segregated than downtown Wilmington where minority neighborhoods overlap with white ones.

It is all about perception. If you think it is a stereotypical southern town you can certainly fine evidence to support your perception. If you think it is just for retirees you will find plenty of those. If you think it is a hip town with a thriving art community you can also find plenty of that culture here. But you will find most of the latter downtown.

Last edited by viajero8; 03-27-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero8 View Post
Your work colleagues and neighborhood will have the most influence on your impression.
You are correct. If you go back and look at my previous posts you'll notice a change in my attitude about the area that occurred in 2011. What changed? I moved from the "country" surrounded by native North Carolinians to a sub division populated by a lot of transplants. In my new neighborhood we have households from Michigan, 2 from New Jersey, 3 from Maryland, Virginia, Florida and other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina