Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM

69 posts, read 87,238 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 30-year-old, single male considering relocating to Wilmington.

I grew up and was born and raised in Swansboro so I am familiar with the area, however, I haven't lived near the area in almost 20 years. Been for visits from time to time and know how to find my way around and all that but know very little about what Wilmington (or the surrounding area) is REALLY like these days.

I have an opportunity to move to home to Swansboro or to Wilmington. Currently I live in Nashville and don't really care for the city, the weather, or the allergies.

That all said, I am a big fan of surf and skate culture (take the boy out of NC but...), I have made a living for the majority of my life as a professional musician and occasional labor or cook. I graduated with a degree in English that I am currently not using.

I am looking for a somewhat active night life/youth culture. I don't drink but I do like to go out and meet people and socialize. I'm pretty liberal across the board but do have some conservative tendencies, mostly related to saving $ as musicians are broke a lot. Looking for good local music or at least people to play music with in the variety of noise rock, psych rock, jazz, etc. Huge fan of music outside of playing it and the arts in general. So museums, festivals, movies in the park... on and on.

Being a single dude in his 30's, I'm also hoping there is a decent population of young ladies of the educated and friendly kind. I already know you can go beach or swim or kayak or whatever pretty much whenever you want there and that's a large part of the appeal to me.

Also looking for employment. Currently I work at a guitar shop and in the past have managed restaurants, tutored kids and students in Spanish and English, managed men's apparel shops.... I'm a pretty humble guy so I don't need a Fortune 500. Would prefer to dodge food service and actually apply my degree or do the music thing, but I have no qualms and am very realistic about getting a 'Joe Job' and I'm cool with that. Are there good jobs in the area outside of service?

Is the city bike friendly?

.... I can't think of much else. Any info. anyone could share would be great. Specifically what may or may not apply to a 30-year-old dude.

I am also considering anywhere really along the Crystal Coast from Wilmington up to Beaufort/Morehead. Atlantic Beach, EI, Swansboro.

I know there is VERY little up that way, but honestly, I have even looked at Belhaven just to get away from large populations and return to the slow, quiet, lazy days of my youth.

Thanks in advance all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Oh and living!

Rent prices pretty decent? I would start renting with the hope to buy soon. I keep looking at downtown. Would prefer to find myself in a small (2/1) bungalow, but could do with the right studio or 1/1 apartment.

Mostly, for me and the times I do record and play and practice music, I find that having neighbors can be a real stink.

How is downtown in available, decent places like this? Pet friendly? Central HVAC? Please no window bangers and baseboard heat, I already paid heavily for that t-shirt.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Well, that area has changed dramatically in the past 20 years, and I don't know if the same "lazy days of your youth" is possible anymore on the Coast of NC. "They've found us"!

But, it's a big advantage knowing the area already. I think most of the jobs on the coast ARE in the service/tourism industry, but see what kind of networking you can do with contacts from when you were here before; that will put you ahead of others coming in "cold". Still, it's best to start doing online research in your chosen field(s) because the desirability of NC right now makes everyone and their brother want to move here and they're all competing for the same finite number of jobs.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rn.chandler View Post
Is the city bike friendly?
There are good bike trails like the Cross-City Trail. However, I would not try to ride a bike to work on the main roads. There are no bike lanes, and the traffic is unforgiving.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone for replies. I appreciate the info.

Glad to know there are bike trials around, that's certainly something I like to do often.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Bumping this to see if anyone out there has any more info.

Have been to reddit NC and didn't get a whole lot more information there.

General consensus seems that Wilmington and the surrounding areas are still affordable and daily life is pretty good but there aren't exactly a myriad of employment opportunities.

???

Old 09-08-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I would start renting with the hope to buy soon. I keep looking at downtown. Would prefer to find myself in a small (2/1) bungalow, but could do with the right studio or 1/1 apartment.

Mostly, for me and the times I do record and play and practice music, I find that having neighbors can be a real stink.

How is downtown in available, decent places like this? Pet friendly? Central HVAC? Please no window bangers and baseboard heat, I already paid heavily for that t-shirt.
This listing is typical of the older bungalows. In this low a price range I don't think they will be renovated to have central air conditioning. They are close to the neighbors so they may or may not appreciate your music. People say the city is pet-friendly. Please check the crime statistics for whatever house you look at-- there have been numerous gang shootings in the projects and just outside the downtown. .

Just an example below, as I am sure you can search for what you like. I am not sure I would live in the neighborhood however. Check the Spotcrime reports: http://bit.ly/ZeYj5M

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=NC593988690

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-08-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
General consensus seems that Wilmington and the surrounding areas are still affordable and daily life is pretty good but there aren't exactly a myriad of employment opportunities.

???
It is true there are not a lot of employment opportunities outside of the hospitality business. There's competition from students and locals who want to continue living there. I really don't know if you can survive on your music skills.

You ought to scope out the job situation and figure what you can afford in rent. I see a few apartments in the $500/month or less range. The average rent is probably higher.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-08-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the good info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina