Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 17,674 times

Advertisements

I am living in Cary right now. Cary has changed a lot during the past decade with an influx of northerners and their "ways." I am ready to move somewhere else in NC and we like the Wilmington area. I would like to know from people who have been there for a while, if you perceive people to be friendly or not in the Wilmington area, and if that may be changing. thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I haven't been here a long time - about 1 year.

On one hand, people here (downtown, at least) are tremendously outgoing. It is easy to meet new people, because so many people are from out of town. In that sense they are very friendly and not so clique-ish.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a slow pace and old-fashioned southern manners it can be spotty. The hurry-hurry-hurry attitude is strong here.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM

122 posts, read 479,512 times
Default Northerners "their" ways?

Hey, I'm a Jersey Girl and want to know what is "their ways" so I can avoid that behavor when I move south.
We have had a lot of New Yorkers move to NJ and I know what you mean in general.
New people moving into my town tend to be rude. Forget getting a return Hi and smile. It's like you're invisible.
I'm sure some of us will adjust to "your ways" eventually. Plus some of our ideas might make an improvement to the city/town. Thinking ethnic restaurants, good bagels etc.
Thought about Wilmington too. Someone on a thread said that housing prices were going thru the roof and salaries weren't keep pace. Tons of traffic. (this was about 1 1/2 years ago).
Good luck on your search.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 AM

Default Response to Jersey Girl

By "ways" I just mean kind of rude, stand-offish and "keeping up with the joneses" personalities. I know not everyone is like that, 2 of my closest friends are from NJ whom I met thru my kids' schools, but in general, it's just A LOT different culture in terms of attitude than it was in Cary about 15 years ago. I am willing to deal with traffic in Wilmington and the high home prices, (already used to that since we are practically priced out of Cary now) but I am looking for a friendlier place where people still smile at each other and hold the door open for you, etc without thinking you're a "weirdo" if you do these things. (And I don't want to move to Kansas to have that

Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,352 times
Hi. I grew up in Cary...born and raised. Originally moved to Wilmington to attend college 13 years ago. I did end up moving back to Cary for a few years for employment reasons but have since returned to Wilmington. I will always love Cary (b/c it's my hometown) but Wilmington is MUCH more laid back! That's what I've always liked about it. I have found it fairly easy to make friends. My neighbors are friendly (more friendly than they were in Cary). Good luck with your move

Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerlita View Post
I am living in Cary right now. Cary has changed a lot during the past decade with an influx of northerners and their "ways." I am ready to move somewhere else in NC and we like the Wilmington area. I would like to know from people who have been there for a while, if you perceive people to be friendly or not in the Wilmington area, and if that may be changing. thanks
Is there anywhere in NC where there hasn't been an influx of Northern People. And so what if people are from the North, South, East or West?

Every city is gonna have nice people and every city is gonna have rude people, it is 2008!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Wow, such insight!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks anonymous and oyster 07 for the response on Wilmington, the original topic

Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 69,069 times
Cant we all just get along........LOL

Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
Wilmington is like anywhere else, the more you go around being friendly to others, the more people are friendly to you in return. And the more people you meet the more people you find who are friendly in general just by sheer odds.

In general I'd say it's a friendly city although I am not sure I've ever been to a rude city- there are always nice people as well as jerks out there and it's never seemed to change based on where I am. It's a people thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina