Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM

42 posts, read 63,207 times

Advertisements

I've applied for several jobs in nearly all areas along the coast of NC over the past couple of years and found that they all pay low wages yet the cost of living is higher than inland - say Raleigh/Durham.
I'm a bit perplexed as to why? The jobs relate to computer networking. Everything from entry-level on up pay a lot less. Average top paying job in this field is about $40k and that same job in Raleigh/Durham would likely pay at least $50k but probably closer to $60k.
Is it supply and demand of the workforce or some other force at work here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:18 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderin_y View Post
Is it supply and demand of the workforce or some other force at work here?
We call it the "beach discount". Because many people want to live near the beach, many emplyer figure they can pay less. You should check the salaries for computer jobs in Hawaii!

It isn't only computer jobs. Here's a prior thread about jobs in the nursing field: any New Hanover Regional Med Center nurses?

Old 05-29-2015, 07:09 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,888 times
Do any companies offer the ability to telecommute for your job?

When we moved here I started my own business providing remote services in a niche in my industry. I've been able to earn a respectable salary for myself while living here. But, if I somehow managed to lose all my clients I would need to move to survive financially. The jobs in my industry here are virtually non existent, the listings I have seen posted have such a low salary that I would make more at costco.

My neighbor on one side does something with IT, i don't recall what. My neighbor on the other side is in sales. Both work from home as well. I've met a lot of people who live here and work remotely.

My wife has no telecommute opportunities, she did take quite the cut so we could live at the beach for a few years.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Lots of people along the coast work from home. They live along the coast because its where they want to live and they could live anywhere.

If you are employed along the coast, you should somewhat expect lower overall salaries because there is a demand for living on the coast, therefore, more employees to jobs. That same demand drives up housing prices, raising the cost of living. Obviously, waterfront property is more valuable than non waterfront property. Closer to the beach is more valuable than further from the beach...most times by A LOT.

Finally, consider that the Coast of NC is fairly environmentally sensitive, which can limit the places where you can live...therefore rendering the buildable areas as more valuable. In New Hanover County, which will eventually be built out, this value will continue to increase and spur redevelopment, which we are seeing now at a commercial level (like around the Mall area...where another building is coming down for another restaurant).

Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
Do any companies offer the ability to telecommute for your job?

When we moved here I started my own business providing remote services in a niche in my industry. I've been able to earn a respectable salary for myself while living here. But, if I somehow managed to lose all my clients I would need to move to survive financially. The jobs in my industry here are virtually non existent, the listings I have seen posted have such a low salary that I would make more at costco.

My neighbor on one side does something with IT, i don't recall what. My neighbor on the other side is in sales. Both work from home as well. I've met a lot of people who live here and work remotely.

My wife has no telecommute opportunities, she did take quite the cut so we could live at the beach for a few years.
Yes, unfortunately, my IT work involves being hands-on. I do envy those who can work from their homes and live anywhere.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We call it the "beach discount". Because many people want to live near the beach, many emplyer figure they can pay less. You should check the salaries for computer jobs in Hawaii!

It isn't only computer jobs. Here's a prior thread about jobs in the nursing field: any New Hanover Regional Med Center nurses?
I guess I should have known that. Locals must despise outsiders competing for these low paying jobs. I kind of feel sorry for them as the employers always have the upper hand and take advantage of the situation recruiting the best for as little pay as they can get away with.
I kind of gotten the impression from places I've visited along the coast that the locals are quite tolerable and welcoming of outside visitors to collect their tourist $$ - but in the back of their minds hoping and thinking "visit...just don't stay!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina