Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 PM

8 posts, read 39,885 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I have an interview for job at Coastal Carolina Community College (CCCC) and if offered a position, will likely accept. That being said, I would like to get some information/opinions on the area. It will be me and my fiance relocating, no children, except for the four legged kind. We are both originally from Asheville, NC (which we loved) but currently live in Knoxville, TN, which we don't really care for.

We should be able to afford approximately $1100 - 1500 on housing and would like a single family home. We prefer an area where houses aren't stacked on top of each other, but know that doesn't always exist anymore. My fiance is a 'jack of all trades' so is not too picky on the type of work and I am willing to commute ~ 20 minutes to CCCC, if needed. We are looking to live in an area that is somewhat convenient to amenties (grocery stores etc.) but looking more for an area where the people are friendly and open minded (more suburban is good but not required).

Would we better looking for a place to live in Jacksonville or we would be better looking at areas closer to Swansboro, Sneads Ferry (or others). Any information about the area would be greatly appreciated. We will be visiting the area between 12-14 July.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2976 View Post
We should be able to afford approximately $1100 - 1500 on housing and would like a single family home.....

Would we better looking for a place to live in Jacksonville or we would be better looking at areas closer to Swansboro, Sneads Ferry (or others). Any information about the area would be greatly appreciated. We will be visiting the area between 12-14 July.
I think there are several areas in Jacksonville, Hubert or Richlands where you could find a 3 BR ranch on a quarter acre within your budget. That would be the rent only, not utilities. Pick up the paper copy of the Jacksonville Daily News and look at the classifieds, or check Realtor.com . Here's one example requiring a pet deposit: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4-03203?row=17

I have been in that neighborhood, it is nice, and close to the college. It is also close to shopping, medical faciities and restaurants. There are also likely to be far more jobs for the fiancee within Jacksonville than in the suburbs.

The budget is also possible in Sneads Ferry or Swansboro, but both of them are a long commute because the military occupies so much land. I have to drive between Sneads Ferry and Jacksonville frequently and I curse the 18-mile long drive.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-01-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 PM

8 posts, read 39,885 times
Thanks goldenage1! So, I'm guessing the traffic is pretty bad when having to through or around the military base? Neither of us have never lived in a military town, so this would be a first. I will definitely check out the areas that you mentioned. Are you originally from the area or lived there a long time? In general, are people pretty friendly? Here in TN, if you say hello to someone they look at you like you are crazy. Really want to relocate to an area where people are nice again!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor2976 View Post
Thanks goldenage1! So, I'm guessing the traffic is pretty bad when having to through or around the military base? Neither of us have never lived in a military town, so this would be a first. I will definitely check out the areas that you mentioned. Are you originally from the area or lived there a long time? In general, are people pretty friendly? Here in TN, if you say hello to someone they look at you like you are crazy. Really want to relocate to an area where people are nice again!
The traffic at the main gates is bad for entering the gates. Civilians are not allowed to go thru the gates, which means you can't use the shortcut on 172 between Swansboro and Sneads Ferry.

The advantage of the rental house I showed you is that you can get to the college without going through the military traffic. It is 5 minutes to CCCC.

We have been here four years, and retired here from the Washington DC area. We are pleased with the area, and find everyone is friendly. People still wave at each other in the neighborhoods. The military people are understanding, and know that everyone moving is in the same boat. Good luck with the job.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:33 AM

10 posts, read 11,279 times
We just rented a 2000+sf 3 bedroom beautiful house with a huge fenced yard in a neighborhood in jacksonville, right on the boarder of Richlands for $1050. There are tons of rentals in the Jacksonville area- mostly due to the military presence. Right now there are 5 houses in our neighborhood available to rent, lol. I don't find the traffic bad at all…but in from NJ, where it is completely congested and traffic is 24/7. Swansboro/Cedar Point is where we will be moving win our lease is up, I'm a beach person tho and thats the lifestyle I'm looking for. Jacksonville is a good starting point.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 11,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The traffic at the main gates is bad for entering the gates. Civilians are not allowed to go thru the gates, which means you can't use the shortcut on 172 between Swansboro and Sneads Ferry.

We have been here four years, and retired here from the Washington DC area. We are pleased with the area, and find everyone is friendly. People still wave at each other in the neighborhoods. The military people are understanding, and know that everyone moving is in the same boat.
goldenage1, HI! You answered questions for me on the thread I posted earlier, again thank you.

I have been researching ALL of NC coastal towns and I'm now thinking that Swansboro would be as close to what I'm looking for that I can afford. It's appears to be a beach town that's small, friendly, community oriented with access to conveniences. I know that the rentals are mostly above the price I want to spend but still doable. I also kind of like that it's a military area as that's what I'm used to. As I said, I don't have to commute for work but in case I need to commute I do believe that I can travel across the base with my veteran ID (I'll have to check, things have changed since 911 and you may have to "state your purpose" to be on base). Either way, I don't think that would bother me.

What do YOU think of Swansboro? Is it a nice, quaint, beachy town like it appears to be? What about hurricanes/storms when they hit? Is that area prone to major flooding? I don't think Jacksonville would be for us. It looks too large and much more of a nondescript city that's just spread due to the military. I've lived that and not interested. I know Swansboro has a lot of military which is good but it doesn't appear that that's the only reason it's there.

I also looked into Hubert and that still may be a possibility but I much prefer to be right where we can jump on our bicycles and ride down to the beach.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyLPNurse View Post
What do YOU think of Swansboro? Is it a nice, quaint, beachy town like it appears to be? What about hurricanes/storms when they hit? Is that area prone to major flooding?
Yes, it is a nice area. The village is small and quaint.

If a hurricane hits, you should be prepared to evacuate. And, yes, flooding can occur, expecially if you live near a creek or river. Thant's just the trade-off of living near the ocean.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 AM

107 posts, read 257,272 times
Sent you a message Nurse.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyLPNurse View Post
I have been researching ALL of NC coastal towns and I'm now thinking that Swansboro would be as close to what I'm looking for that I can afford. It's appears to be a beach town that's small, friendly, community oriented with access to conveniences. I know that the rentals are mostly above the price I want to spend but still doable. I also kind of like that it's a military area as that's what I'm used to......
I think your budget was $850/month. Checking Craiglist, there are numerous 2-bedroom townhouses, duplexes or manufactured homes in that price range. There is shopping along the Highway 24 corridor, and if your ID will get you access to the base exchange, you can save a lot on groceries.

The middle school in Swansboro is rated in the average range (6 of 10) at Greatschools. It has all the usual sports, and I believe your outdoorsy son would find many like-minded kids.

Regarding flooding, the elevation rises quite a bit as you go towards Jacksonville, so it is easy to stay out of flood zones. BTW, you will hear artillery firing from the base and helicopters, but normally not after 10 at night.

I also think you could easily find part-time work if you needed it.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 11,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Yes, it is a nice area. The village is small and quaint.
That's great to hear!

If a hurricane hits, you should be prepared to evacuate. And, yes, flooding can occur, expecially if you live near a creek or river. Thant's just the trade-off of living near the ocean.
I currently live on a river and was nearly flooded a couple of times this past year so I understand that. Why oh why do I have to live near water?! My sister has lived in Pensacola for 30+ years with many a hurricane hitting but with no damage to their home so I guess I'll just cross my fingers and go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina