Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:53 AM

25 posts, read 26,209 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

So my husband and I are looking into moving our family of 5 from Oklahoma City to some coastal town NC. We need as much information regarding jobs and rental housing, as possible. We prefer to stay North, and as close to the beach (at least within 2 hour drive, but perfer to be really close). School information would be great as well, two of our children are in elementary school.

As far as jobs go, husband has experience with construction, factory, and food service. I have had customer service, insurance, and registration within a hospital. Any and all help would be great!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Greenville. Specifically, Winterville, a suburb of Greenville. Maybe Jacksonville or New Bern.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenloyer89 View Post
As far as jobs go, husband has experience with construction, factory, and food service. I have had customer service, insurance, and registration within a hospital. Any and all help would be great!!! Thanks!
Greenville might be a place to start looking, as it is a city of 85,000 with a hospital and university. It is growing, so there may be construction jobs. It also has some nearby industrial parks.

There is also an interesting Production Supervisor job with Cargill in Wilson. Wilson is also the home of BB&T Bank, which may have customer service or insurance-related jobs.

However, the North Carolina coast is 300 miles long, so you ought to try narrowing down your target area. But definitely scope out jobs first.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-15-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Thanks! I'll do more looking into that area. Do either of you happen to know the weather around that area? We want coastal for the breezes, in hopes it helps with humidity. We don't want anything near what we deal with here in Oklahoma as far as heat wise in the summer. As this is the biggest reason we are wishing to move from this state.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:53 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Thanks! I'll do more looking into that area. Do either of you happen to know the weather around that area? We want coastal for the breezes, in hopes it helps with humidity. We don't want anything near what we deal with here in Oklahoma as far as heat wise in the summer. As this is the biggest reason we are wishing to move from this state.

LOL coastal North Carolina..is loaded with summer humidity. You are going from the frying pan..to another frying pan.

Unless you live right on the water coastal breezes will do little.

If you want to avoid humidity a little look toward Asheville ,Boone, even Roanoke VA.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Unless you are right on the water, there will be no coastal breeze. Eastern NC is hot and humid in the summer. You probably need to come for a visit in August.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-15-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Thats exactly what I am afraid of.... We are fine with humidity, we are orignially from Michigan, but mixed with southern heat, its just too much. So any information on a very coastal town would be great

Old 07-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Unless you are right on the coast, there will be no coastal breeze. Eastern NC is hot and humid in the summer. You probably need to come for a visit in August.
"Close" is limited to about a half-mile from the beach. However, you will find very few good jobs in beach towns, just seasonal hospitality jobs.

Jacksonville might be a prospective source of jobs, and you could live "near the beach" in Swansboro.

Alternatively, look at the Virginia Beach, VA area. It has a much larger pool of jobs than any place on the North Carolina coast.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Thats exactly what I am afraid of.... We are fine with humidity, we are orignially from Michigan, but mixed with southern heat, its just too much. So any information on a very coastal town would be great
BUT ..even Wilmington and Charleston S.C. are right on the coast and hotter than hell in summer. I think what you are looking for does not exist unless you can afford to buy a house right on the beach and even then the humidity and heat is searing in summer.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
We want coastal for the breezes, in hopes it helps with humidity. We don't want anything near what we deal with here in Oklahoma as far as heat wise in the summer. As this is the biggest reason we are wishing to move from this state.
Have you considered Coastal Oregon? It is nice and cool in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina