Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,655 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm trying to reach out to property owners within the city limits of Kinston to find properties that we can use these funds on. Few people are aware that Kinston was awarded this grant (which is no easy task and the City staff should be commended for their efforts) and even fewer people are aware how this can benefit them.

From the EPA website: A brownfield is a property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. It is estimated that there are more than 450,000 brownfields in the U.S. Cleaning up and reinvesting in these properties increases local tax bases, facilitates job growth, utilizes existing infrastructure, takes development pressures off of undeveloped, open land, and both improves and protects the environment.

If you are a property owner in Kinston or know an owner that they would like to sell, always wanted to redevelop, or could use an environmental assessment to help position themselves for a future sale/redevelopment, let me know! Do note that these funds are not typically used for residential properties. These funds have even been used to remove old underground storage tanks.

If selected, these services are provided to the property owner at NO COST. The City doesn't get to keep this money if these funds are not fully used by the time the grant expires. This money can help rejuvenate old buildings and help bring in local and outside investment to create jobs and improve this great old city.

I know this post is out of left-field but the only way to use take this grant to its maximum potential is with the help, support, and input from the residents of Kinston. Also, please give me your suggestions and ideas on how to reach out to more people in Kinston.

-Mid-Atlantic Associates, Inc. (919-250-9918)

You can also reach out to the Director of Planning for the City of Kinston (252-939-3269)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ_Mid-Atlantic_NC View Post
Hello All!

I'm trying to reach out to property owners within the city limits of Kinston to find properties that we can use these funds on. Few people are aware that Kinston was awarded this grant (which is no easy task and the City staff should be commended for their efforts) and even fewer people are aware how this can benefit them.

From the EPA website: A brownfield is a property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. It is estimated that there are more than 450,000 brownfields in the U.S. Cleaning up and reinvesting in these properties increases local tax bases, facilitates job growth, utilizes existing infrastructure, takes development pressures off of undeveloped, open land, and both improves and protects the environment.

If you are a property owner in Kinston or know an owner that they would like to sell, always wanted to redevelop, or could use an environmental assessment to help position themselves for a future sale/redevelopment, let me know! Do note that these funds are not typically used for residential properties. These funds have even been used to remove old underground storage tanks.

If selected, these services are provided to the property owner at NO COST. The City doesn't get to keep this money if these funds are not fully used by the time the grant expires. This money can help rejuvenate old buildings and help bring in local and outside investment to create jobs and improve this great old city.

I know this post is out of left-field but the only way to use take this grant to its maximum potential is with the help, support, and input from the residents of Kinston. Also, please give me your suggestions and ideas on how to reach out to more people in Kinston.

-Mid-Atlantic Associates, Inc. (919-250-9918)

You can also reach out to the Director of Planning for the City of Kinston (252-939-3269)
There are numerous old gas stations not in business anymore around Kinston...would think that would be an ideal place for use of these funds. One of which I can think of is on the corner of Hwy 11 and 70 East. Find out the owner of that parcel, because it would be a parcel that could be valuable at that intersection.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There are numerous old gas stations not in business anymore around Kinston...would think that would be an ideal place for use of these funds. One of which I can think of is on the corner of Hwy 11 and 70 East. Find out the owner of that parcel, because it would be a parcel that could be valuable at that intersection.
I truly appreciate your response. I've been attempting to contact several property owners of old gas stations around Kinston with mixed success, I'm worried that these owners think I'm trying to sell them something and won't contact me back. I'll keep trying though because the more of these funds we can use to spur development is better for everyone. I just looked up the intersection you mentioned and the old Spur Service Center would be a great candidate, unfortunately according to the tax records the corner parcels of that intersection are considered part of Goldsboro instead of Kinston, even though the Kinston limits circle the area south of that intersection with the exception of the Sunoco gas station (I think that's the name if memory serves)... Click image for larger version

Name:	70 and 11 intersection.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	165436 A stipulation of these funds is that they must be spent in the city limits. Regardless, I will be forwarding your suggestion to the Planning Director with Kinston to make sure that these records are correct because that is a great location for development and it's very likely that no one has developed it due to environmental concerns (which is what this grant is designed to help). Thank you again, and if you see or think of other properties let me know! -K

Last edited by KJ_Mid-Atlantic_NC; 02-05-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
I think that parcel where K-Mart used to be on N Queen St is totally abandoned now. Not sure if that qualifies as brownfield.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I think that parcel where K-Mart used to be on N Queen St is totally abandoned now. Not sure if that qualifies as brownfield.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I've forwarded information about this property (1628 N. Queen St.) to all appropriate members. We'll have to do some investigating to see if this site is a good use of funds from the grant at this time. That said, thanks to your suggestion the property will stay on our radar and I'll be sure to update you if you'd like. Please don't hesitate if you think of some other properties - especially if you happen to know any property owners that might be interested in learning about this grant and how it can benefit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina