Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 07:50 PM

24 posts, read 25,005 times

Advertisements

Hoping to relocate to the NC coast. We are looking for a small town feel and good schools. Any input on where we should concentrate?
TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,127,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvone832 View Post
Hoping to relocate to the NC coast. We are looking for a small town feel and good schools. Any input on where we should concentrate?
TIA!!
Newport, near Morehead City or Hampstead near Wilmington. Possibly Dare County, if you are willing to live on the Outer Banks.

New Bern is charming and has some good elementary schools, however, the high school is middling. Swansboro and Southport are also charming, but you should check the school ratings and see if they are acceptable to you.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 AM

Thank you! We have visited Southport and loved the feel of the town, but we weren't sure what else compared. We only drove through Hampstead. It didn't really do anything for us as far as the "town" feel. Maybe we missed something?
I will look into your suggestions.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,878,036 times
Quote:
Thank you! We have visited Southport and loved the feel of the town, but we weren't sure what else compared. We only drove through Hampstead. It didn't really do anything for us as far as the "town" feel. Maybe we missed something?
I will look into your suggestions.
Hampstead isn't really a town. That's why it is missing that feel...it's just a strip along Highway 17 with subdivisions.

Southport has a good vibe, but the schools are about average. Would think Beaufort could be an option, but is a bit more touristy.

Swansboro is an underrated small town on the coast and the schools are the best in Onslow County I believe.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:45 AM

Thank you. Swansboro sounds great. Will definitely check it out on our visit next month. Our family moved to Supply 2 years ago and visiting them we fell in love with the NC coast and the intercoastal. They live in a more "retirement friendly" community. We would love a spot with more young families. We are blessed to work remotely so job availability isn't an issue.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
We only drove through Hampstead. It didn't really do anything for us as far as the "town" feel. Maybe we missed something?
I mentioned Hampstead because some people simply are looking for low density when they specify a "small town feel". I agree that it is more of a strip mall place, but it does have excellent schools and family-friendly neighborhoods.

You are really limited to the places already mentioned when looking for a small town with good schools. You might look at Burgaw if you can live with average or lower-rated schools. Burgaw was used as the setting for the small town in the TV show "Under the Dome".

Old 05-14-2016, 07:25 AM

I understand. Lower density is nice but having a "main st" quaint downtown area is huge for us. We currently live in a small town in the Hudson Valley and would love the same type of feel on the coast.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I understand. Lower density is nice but having a "main st" quaint downtown area is huge for us. We currently live in a small town in the Hudson Valley and would love the same type of feel on the coast.
I understand, but remember that much of the coast has only developed since World War II. We have very few towns that go back to the 18th century, unlike the Hudson River Valley.

Beaufort has some very good schools also. It has a cute Main Street on the water.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-14-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,545,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Newport, near Morehead City or Hampstead near Wilmington. Possibly Dare County, if you are willing to live on the Outer Banks.

New Bern is charming and has some good elementary schools, however, the high school is middling. Swansboro and Southport are also charming, but you should check the school ratings and see if they are acceptable to you.
You can live in Manteo if you are going to Dare County. Dare County has the best schools.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Thank you yes that is true. I will definitely check out Beaufort as well. I've not heard of Manteo. Thanks I'll look into that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina