Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 23,450 times

Advertisements

We have just returned from a four day discovery weekend at Compass Pointe and have selected our lot. Now we need to select a builder. I have read all of the threads about builders and wanted to ask again for input. We especially like Trustt. Anyone have positive and/or negative feedback? Another showcase home we liked was built by Liberty. Our friends also have purchased a lot and are considering going with a custom builder. Jordan is new to Compass Point. Any feedback on Jordan or R.S. Parker? Lastly, what are the thoughts on a screened lanai, a glassed lanai, and a more elaborate Carolina room? I may not be using the correct terminology. By glass I mean the simple panels that keep rain and pollen out and by Carolina room I mean more substantial windows but still a three season room. This forum was so useful in preparing me for our trip. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:32 AM

52 posts, read 92,089 times
i cant say i know a lot about these builders. Many of the same builders at Compass Pointe build in other development in Brunswick County. You may want to take a look at Parade of Homes scheduled in 2 weekends in October. Details should come out later this summer. refer to Brunswick County Parade of Homes

Old 07-18-2016, 10:54 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronsFan View Post
Lastly, what are the thoughts on a screened lanai, a glassed lanai, and a more elaborate Carolina room?
It depends on how you would use the room, and how much space the rest of the house has.

A screened lanai has limited use: it's too hot in the summer, except very early or late. It's OK for spring and fall when the weather is pleasant. I think the glassed lanai would be equally limited, except for protecting you from rain.

If you expect to use it year round, it is best to have a fully insulated, heated and cooled Carolina room, but it is the most expensive.

We have a compromise: as screened porch with EZ-Breeze plastic windows, and a window cooling unit. It is usable about 8 months a year.

BTW, you should also plan for a space for outdoor grilling. You are likely to use it more than you would in Chevy Chase.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-18-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM

Goldenage1, thank you. This is very helpful. And thanks NJcali. I will look for the Parade of Homes information. I am 95% certain we are going with Trustt based on walking through several of their models and talking with some residents. My friend is going to the Compass Pointe August discovery weekend and will get some more information on the custom builders, especially Jordan. Hopefully others will chime in with feedback on Trustt, Liberty, Jordan and R.S. Parker. Compass Pointe exceeded our expectations. We had looked at Fearrington Village outside of Chapel Hill, but there was too much traffic in the metro area and it was pricier so we focused on the Wilmington area. Based largely on feedback in this forum, we narrowed in on Compass Pointe. From the moment we entered the property with it's gorgeous landscaping, we were sold. We plan to build on 1/3 acre backing up to a nature preserve. The house is over 3,100 heated square feet and the estimates are about $165 per foot, with many upgrades and a landscaping package included. Also included is adding a third bay to the garage to add a bedroom to the bonus room and bath over the garage, also bumping the breakfast nook out by five feet, and adding a walk-in pantry. The Carolina Room will add to the cost but will be worth it to use year-round.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:08 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronsFan View Post
Also included is adding a third bay to the garage to add a bedroom to the bonus room and bath over the garage, also bumping the breakfast nook out by five feet, and adding a walk-in pantry. The Carolina Room will add to the cost but will be worth it to use year-round.
These all sound like good additions. Many people in my development have a third bay on the garage for storing a boat.

Sorry, but I can't help with the builders. You might search the forum on the builder names for any reports.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:40 AM

32 posts, read 51,485 times
Trusst does an excellent job! Not a lot of experience with the other builders.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM

JFBR, thank you. This is very helpful.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 PM

20 posts, read 38,102 times
Default builders

HiIGHLY recommend Barker & Canady. They just recently completed our home in Compass Pointe (in North Waters). Can not say enough good things about them. Their work is impeccable. My husband is a retired carpenter and building inspector and interviewed many builders. We found that trac builders do not like to make changes in their plans and their up-charges are very high. Staff is very professional , kind and very accommodating. They also are one that allows the owner onsite anytime.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:30 AM

16 posts, read 21,576 times
Love Compass Pointe but also looking at Brunswick Forest. What made your decision for Compass Pointe? Now we have added a third choice with the new RiverLights in Wilmington.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:42 PM

We had a very targeted search. We are retiring on my husband's CSRS retirement and have two children in college for the next five years, so budget, amenities, health care, accessibility to airports, near culture and a mid-sized city had us targeting Leland. We had considered DE, SC, the Jacksonville, FL area and Fearrington Village outside Chapel Hill. We kept looking further into Compass Pointe, which had received high praise in many reviews including NARFE, Top Retirements, and this forum. When we visited in person, we liked the size, the low HOA fees, the fact that it is not golf centric despite having a golf course, and how friendly everyone is. We did not look at Brunswick Forest or the others. We went to a 4 day sales event, fell in love with the first home we walked into based on our wish lish (Trustt's Harmony II) and then found a perfect lot for the right price. Our sales person listened to us and found us exactly what we asked for. We met the developer. We spoke at length to current owners. Our friends are building in Compass Pointe. It just feels right to us for our needs. It is early days for us. We haven't finalized the builder yet. But we have lined up our lender and soon will be closing on the land. We hope to break ground this spring and move in late fall next year. Our lender told us she has closed hundreds of deals in Brunswick Forest and Compass Pointe with Trustt Builders and she recommended them, too. We are not golfers. We love the trails, the dog park, and the fact that it is still a new development with an indoor pool coming and many social clubs. I think a clincher for my husband was hearing that there are many fellow Redskins fans and a huge tailgate party for the games. Good luck with making the best decision for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina