Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 38,134 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'm buying a house in Eastbrook Estates in Leland and am wondering if anyone is familiar with the area?

I'm originally from a different part of NC and live in Florida now. Any information you don't mind volunteering will be welcome.

Doug (and Beaver)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 AM

57 posts, read 274,507 times
I have driven down Mount Misery road and saw the sign for Eastbrook but never went to look at homes. I know the area has many run down trailers-some look abandoned with missing windows and doors.
There is a newer Food Lion store close by. Good luck.
Also hire a home inspector to do an inspection before you buy it or for the final walk through. I would suggest using your own attorney-many builders give you help with closing costs if you use their attorney-this equates to shooting yourself in the foot!

Last edited by qaz123; 02-29-2008 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 AM

Thanks!

My agent is meeting with the inspector today. I'm actually buying the house as a resale, not as new.

The whole area reminded me of my home town (Henderson, just north of Raleigh), and, honestly, the trailers don't bother me as long as I am not living in one. The next hurricane will cull the herd.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 PM

450 posts, read 2,322,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverTheCat View Post
honestly, the trailers don't bother me as long as I am not living in one. The next hurricane will cull the herd.
Most likely the owners will be taxed out--land values are skyrocketing and they won't be able to afford their taxes anymore. It's happening around us..

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you, but when I found out the tax bill for the house I bought, I had to change my slacks. I couldn't believe it would be so low, compared to South Floruda.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 80,209 times
BlueLily7 -- It should be noted that just because land values have skyrocketed, that doesn't mean that taxes are following suit. Case in point: My property value increased over 75% in last year's revaluation, yet my taxes were LESS than the previous year. The millage rate actually went down.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 AM

I meant to get this in earlier, but I got side tracked.

It took a while for me to find a house in broward county (where I live now, Fort Lauderdale area) with the same square feet, age, garage, # of bed/baths, and so on, and I still couldn't find one with a yard as big, but to give you an idea, the house I am buying in Leland has property taxes around $655 a year, including the fire fee.

The same exact size house, same age, same size garage and construction features (but with a heavier roof), the taxes are $4769.65. Each year, the assessed value of the home can rise as much as 3% for tax assessments. it resets when a home is sold, so the new owner could actually pay a tax of around $5818.17.

And to think that I used to think that sales tax and income tax in NC were a rip off!

I should also point out that there are exemptions and, if this house were someone's primary residence, they wouldn't pay that much in taxes.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,120 times
Hey, how are you liking that area? We are looking at houses there. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina