Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM

8 posts, read 15,396 times

Advertisements

Good morning,
My wife and I are considering a relocation to coastal NC from MD. We have visited the areas around Shallotte.
We liked Brierwood Estates. There is no HOA (which is fine for us) but the majority of the properties seem to be kept up.
We found out that the owner closed the golf course on June 1st.
We also noticed that houses are being listed frequently and many of them have only been owned for one to three years.

Does anyone have any info on Shallotte and Brierwood Estates that would help us with our choices?

Is the owner required to maintain the coarse?

Thanks in advance for any info and have a great day!
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM

Is there anyone with any info on this?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Not familiar with that development but piqued my curiosity and I found this-

On Grand Strand Golf: Brierwood Golf Club in Shallotte, N.C., will be closing Thursday | Myrtle Beach Sun News

The owner has closed the golf course and the club house, he is selling off all the equipment. He can do what he wants with the old course, he has the option of building more homes. He tried to sell the course and there were no takers.

There are several homes for sale in that development. I think people choose property for the amenities and the services, with the golf course gone the buyer pool probably diminishes.

Why were you attracted to that development?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:06 AM

Hi jerseyj,

Thanks for the reply.

My wife and I were down there last month looking at different areas around Shallotte for relocation. All of the new developments have small lots and HOA's. Every mailbox has to be the same.

Brierwood has nice sized lots and no HOA. The properties seem to be kept up.

Our concern is the houses seem to turn over a lot. Also, if the course isn't maintained will the whole development turn to crap.

This is what we are looking for:
We would like to have an individual house with 3br/2b on a lot at least 1/2 acre. We enjoy the beach. We would be OK if we were within a 30-minute drive to the beach. Our budget would be about 250K. Safety and low crime are very important as well as good healthcare.

Any info would be appreciated.
Jim

Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
There was a spate of golf course closings along the Grand Strand in early 2000.

Some of the courses were used to build more homes or malls (Gator Hole), some were bought by the home owners (East Port and Carolina Shores) and kept as golf courses and some look like this-

Fairway to heaven: What happens to an abandoned golf course - Salon.com

Brierwoods closing is pretty recent and there does not appear to be a concrete plan for it.

Sea Trail golf course in Sunset Beach filed bankruptcy in 2012 and was bought by a Chinese investor in 2013, he dumped some money into it and it is a very popular course on the Grand Strand now.

If we had purchased in Brierwood we would be selling too (we are golfers).

Why not contact a real estate agent, give them your parameters and see what they come up with? It doesn't obligate you to anything. Good luck!!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Hi jerseyj,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay.

Your comments also sparked my interest. I found some other areas where golf course closings have not gone well. Here is one in Florida if anyone is interested.

Homestead residents frustrated by neglected golf course | Miami Herald

I was told today that nothing has been done with the grass at Brierwood since the closing and it's getting high.

It is strange that some of the houses that are for sale are now pending (under contract?) even after the closing but there are quite a few that are just sitting.

I would apprecite it if anyone is in the area could post any pictures of the course showing it's condition.

Thanks to all and have a great day!

Jim

Old 07-21-2017, 11:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagecalman View Post
Hi jerseyj,

Thanks for the reply.

My wife and I were down there last month looking at different areas around Shallotte for relocation. All of the new developments have small lots and HOA's. Every mailbox has to be the same.

Brierwood has nice sized lots and no HOA. The properties seem to be kept up.

Our concern is the houses seem to turn over a lot. Also, if the course isn't maintained will the whole development turn to crap.

This is what we are looking for:
We would like to have an individual house with 3br/2b on a lot at least 1/2 acre. We enjoy the beach. We would be OK if we were within a 30-minute drive to the beach. Our budget would be about 250K. Safety and low crime are very important as well as good healthcare.

Any info would be appreciated.
Jim
You might want to look at the town of Boiling Spring Lakes.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I will take a look at that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina