Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 08:39 AM

23 posts, read 33,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK NY View Post
Can you elaborate more on this Renaissance Development?

My understanding is the West Side of CP is slated for 150+ new lots to be opened up soon, but is delayed. Do you have any insider information on that as well?

Otherwise how is management? Responsive when there's issues? Etc.
Belated BYOB Update: CP residents are again able to BYOB at the lanai and the pool. Still no restaurant available onsite unless you pay to join the golf club.

Other than perhaps the developer, nobody seems to know when those anticipated 150+ lots on the northwest side will be developed. They recently announced 2 new neighborhoods coming soon (October) on the southeast side of the community: Palm Pointe and Harbor Cove. Palm Pointe will have about 18 lots and Harbor Cove about 25 lots. Both neighborhoods are pretty close to Interstate 140 and the Amenities Center. Many of the Harbor Cove lots will be on Cardinal Lake. I can't really speak to management's overall responsiveness because we don't live there yet (our home is still under construction). I can say that the onsite management folks we have spoken with were very nice and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 04:41 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I find this post quite suspect…possibly a troll, a competitor of Compass Pointe. The poster joins City Data the same day as he writes this post bashing Compass Pointe. He has had no other posts and has not been back on City Data since I have no knowledge of the development but would take his comments with a grain of salt.
Whether he is trolling or not us locals would never ever live that far in where CP is located. Developers
basically bought some swamp land 30 miles from the beach , out in the boondocks, no kidding, and convinced people to buy into their vision. If you buy there you will be doing a lot of driving and when you drive to the coast you will slowly realize that its the only development way out there.
It will be at least 30 years before any development other than commercial comes nearby.

Old 08-26-2022, 04:50 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Whether he is trolling or not us locals would never ever live that far in where CP is located. Developers
basically bought some swamp land 30 miles from the beach , out in the boondocks, no kidding, and convinced people to buy into their vision. If you buy there you will be doing a lot of driving and when you drive to the coast you will slowly realize that its the only development way out there.
It will be at least 30 years before any development other than commercial comes nearby.
Agree, we didn’t even consider it. Way too far out for us.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:29 AM

59 posts, read 49,667 times
Hahaha, thanks for the insight and responses. As for CP being the boonies, well, I guess if you want all the big box stores in your backyard, it may seem like the boonies. I live in NY, and of course most people's idea is NY means "City" unfortunately NY is a huge state and we are a little more than an hour above the city. We live in an open space idea, and have to travel for most shopping already, lol. CP, Leland, Wilmington and their proximity to each other isn't such a big deal. Again, CP as a gated community is going to require you to get in your car to find those amenities. And that's ok (for us). Half hour to the beach is a +++ as well. We currently can drive to the beach in Long Island, 1.5 hours there, 2.5 hours to return so we'll take a half hour easily. Not defending it's location, only noting the comparative...

Hopefully some who reside there in CP can chime in

Otherwise how is Wilmington? We checked out all the main drags, shopping and walked the River Walk. How's the town itself? Culture, activity, crime? Is it a college town? How's peak tourist season in regard to the beaches? We've stayed up in TopSail a few times, seems ok. Are the other beaches the same?

Really appreciate all responses, thank you!

Old 09-07-2022, 12:23 PM

49 posts, read 50,215 times
Default I am not a troll - ljt

I have lived in Compass Pointe for four years plus now. I moved in right before Hurricane Florence - evacuated the area for six days or so. Compass Pointe held up well as it is on high ground and the numerous ponds (used for irrigation) can be emptied via mechanical pumping mechanisms before the storm. The rainfall was legendary and the storm literally sat over Wilmington and rained for about 5 days straight. Not the usual wind driven hurricane.

The first two years were quite nice.....then - new management/developer owners, massive building, new lots, entire new neighborhoods were introduced shortly after Renaissance Lifestyles took over and privatized the golf facilities. Renaissance does not communicate much with the residents and most recently has refused to hold in-person annual meeting and answer questions "from the floor" originally Compass Pointe was represented to us as having a max of 2,200 units....that is why we chose CP over Brunswick Forest which at the time was slated for a max of 7,500 units. We still have no idea whatsoever how many units will be built. There are stub roads at the end of every new neighborhood leading out to the yet uncleared forest. The new amenities promised on the wets side of the community have never materialized and the new developer has been waffling about this since they purchased development rights and took the existing golf course private.

Most of the facts I answered for one of the posters can easily be ascertained - some from news stories (Gen-x, building developments along Rte 74 (Google the Malmo Loop development in Leland which is about 1800 units directly across the highway from CP) and Rte 17 south- a number of various developments and the roads to the beaches - several developments - all of which affect transportation here...some from the other answers etc listed thru-out this section. You can also read stories about the age related problems with the two bridges leading to downtown Wilmington....which is where most of your entertainment and restaurant facilities exist....one or both bridges are either slated for renewal or replacement and the need for a third bridge to Wilmington has been discussed about for a number of years and may be placed near Brunswick Forest....if it is ever built.

I "joined" and posted the same day because I did not remember my login from four plus years ago when I was using this very same forum to scout properties....so, I requested and received a new user name. Please don't call me a troll....trolls rarely go into any detail...I am just a four plus year resident of the community who bought in before the current CP issues but after the Gen x and other issues...none of which the real estate agents disclosed.

The competitors need no assistance...Compass Pointe and Brunswick Forest are growing by leaps and bounds.....as long as real estate sales are strong in NJ, Staten Island, Long Island - there are enough lots here to sell to everyone...and smaller developments are popping up all over the place in Brunswick County as new developments are being rubber stamped by the county at every meeting. I am just giving a first hand - four year plus resident's opinion based on experience and facts. Obviously, everyone makes their own decisions, but at least knowing some of the issues can assist prospective buyers in asking the right questions of their real estate agent before signing on the dotted line.

Respectfully,

Mike

Old 09-07-2022, 12:40 PM

49 posts, read 50,215 times
Quick reply....I live in Compass Pointe. Although Wilmington is great for recreation etc....you would be advised to look at the flood maps for ANY property in Wilmington area. Even if you do not see a river/stream nearby. There are many streams and tidal river tributaries etc that actually are affected by tides, currents rain and storms. I was on an annual house tour and visited a home near Oakdale Cemetary and was surprised when I was informed the area floods frequently....I did not even see a river...it was blocks away. Just a cautionary note.

Also, if you are a transplant, you will most likely meet more people in a emerging development like CP, Brunswick Forest, River Lights, River Bluffs, etc as there will be many people like you.

One thing I learned from Wilmington locals I met at an Osher Living course on retirement - "don't tell us how you do it "up there" - learn and accept how we do things here".....Northerners without attitude are welcomed....but be forewarned...bad drivers and the opinionated are not welcomed with open arms.

There is a saying and some signs in Southport (Brunswick County town) "Don't change Southport, let Southport change you" Ironically, Southport is going thru the same growing pains rest of the county is feeling as proposed Project Indigo an 1,800 home development is slated to begin soon....this will change Southport from a touristy little riverside town with free parking that closes at 7pm into a highly trafficked suburb. Paved paradise and put up a parking lot

Old 09-07-2022, 02:11 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK NY View Post
Hahaha, thanks for the insight and responses. As for CP being the boonies, well, I guess if you want all the big box stores in your backyard, it may seem like the boonies. I live in NY, and of course most people's idea is NY means "City" unfortunately NY is a huge state and we are a little more than an hour above the city. We live in an open space idea, and have to travel for most shopping already, lol. CP, Leland, Wilmington and their proximity to each other isn't such a big deal. Again, CP as a gated community is going to require you to get in your car to find those amenities. And that's ok (for us). Half hour to the beach is a +++ as well. We currently can drive to the beach in Long Island, 1.5 hours there, 2.5 hours to return so we'll take a half hour easily. Not defending it's location, only noting the comparative...

Hopefully some who reside there in CP can chime in

Otherwise how is Wilmington? We checked out all the main drags, shopping and walked the River Walk. How's the town itself? Culture, activity, crime? Is it a college town? How's peak tourist season in regard to the beaches? We've stayed up in TopSail a few times, seems ok. Are the other beaches the same?

Really appreciate all responses, thank you!
I don't live in Wilmington, my wife grew up there, her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and parents are all there, so I spend some time there...

My big complaint about Wilmington is the traffic. IMO the town got too big without sizing infrastructure (IE, hiways) appropriately. We'll be out and one of her friends that still lives there will make a joke about Raleigh traffic and we roll our eyes; Raleigh's isn't nearly as bad unless you're leaving an NCSU football game (which is the extent of their experience in Raleigh traffic.) YMMV with that. My in-laws are either in Wrightsville Beach or within a mile of it, so it means they're in something of a chokepoint with traffic.

It isn't a college town, it's a town with a college. Wilmington was a town of almost 50K when UNCW became a 4 year institution (1960) and had been a relatively large and established city long before UNCW came along, so its not really like a UNC-CH where the town was founded to serve the university. So, you will see college students obviously, and the University contributes to the area in terms of economy and other things, but it doesn't feel like a "College Town" the way Bloomington IN, Chapel Hill, Hanover NH, Charlottesville VA, State College, etc...or for that matter Greenville NC, or Boone NC (ECU and App State) are.

Culture? Hard question to answer. What does that mean to you? It's big enough to get various concerts, etc. Crime? It happens, but it isn't a place I'd feel unsafe; mostly property crime, but in a gated community, probably not a big concern.

From Compass pointe you'd have a couple semi-convenient beach options. Carolina beach is nice and largely convenient, and I don't mind visiting there, but it's heavier on the touristy-schtick with T-shirt shops, carnival stuff, etc...Wrightsville is very nice but almost impossible to access during the peak without some kind of insider setup to handle the parking question, though we've done it without that, its easier to get one of my in-laws parking passes, if we can't it's hardly worth the trouble during peak season (but we love it off peak.) From CP I'd go down to Caswell or Southport myself. They seem less crowded, and I go to Caswell during the season because I can run my dog there. But, you're looking at 30-45 minutes no matter how you slice it. IIRC I didn't have to pay for parking at Caswell either.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:22 PM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRetired View Post

One thing I learned from Wilmington locals I met at an Osher Living course on retirement - "don't tell us how you do it "up there" - learn and accept how we do things here".....Northerners without attitude are welcomed....but be forewarned...bad drivers and the opinionated are not welcomed with open arms.
Are they welcomed anywhere?

QUOTE is a saying and some signs in Southport (Brunswick County town) "Don't change Southport, let Southport change you" Ironically, Southport is going thru the same growing pains rest of the county is feeling as proposed Project Indigo an 1,800 home development is slated to begin soon....this will change Southport from a touristy little riverside town with free parking that closes at 7pm into a highly trafficked suburb. Paved paradise and put up a parking lot[/quote]

Thats not true, on multiple levels. The proposal is for 1,500 housing units, and it won't be approved. And S'port hasn't closed up at 7:00 PM in decades. It was discovered many years ago and is already heavily trafficked. But its also still a great little town, much more authentic and better than any of the new developments like CP, SJP, etc.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:00 PM

59 posts, read 49,667 times
Thank you (all) for your replies, they're very helpful and offer insight that is useful.

To be sure, yes, transplanting from NY the traffic isn't scary. Neither is a 45min drive to the beach, which cuts my current trip down to half, lol. But I do understand about expansion because I've lived through it here as well.

Very interesting insight on CP, sounds as there's a bit of a negative shift there. I would love to "see" the HOA rules but the website is limited to members. As the rules could be a deal breaker. I also would find it interesting to know the dynamic between the HOA and current development/developers. My discussion when walking thru was CP being slated for 1800 units...

We definitely are escaping NY, not to drag and bring with us what's here! We find the area very welcoming and would love to melt in and become a local (transplant), lol. I hope Brunswick County doesn't turn BLUE and stays RED as well. We've had enough of all that up here! But certainly appreciate the welcoming culture in regard to everyone saying hello, holding doors and being generally wonderful.

I'm sure if you look hard enough that we could all find negatives in almost anything. Question is whether or not those negatives outweigh the positives... And so far, the boxes checked are almost all +++ lol.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,378 times
Default Cp

I am a new resident of CP. It is a pretty neighborhood and my neighbors are very nice.
With that being said, be forewarned — don’t believe the sales pitch. Everyone moves to a neighborhood for a reason. I was sold on the new amenities center on the west side, which was to include a 9-hole golf course. It was also to have a playground and a pool. Apparently, the 9-hole course is out, and the developer said at a recent meeting that they are not obligated to add an amenities center. The current pool is not big enough for all the homes. Great if you can afford to put one in your backyard, or as some have done — buy the lot next to your house and put in a pool…

We were told, and their brochure reflects, nature, biking, and walking trails. Ask the sales person to show them to you. There are none. Well, there are sidewalks, which they can call “walking trails” or paths, I guess….Their ides of a “nature trail” is a 50’ sidewalk that ends at a path that goes another 50’ to nowhere. People bike on the street, as do I. There are no bike paths.

Another selling point was the golf course. Halfway into our build, they went private and we cannot afford to join — not at $14,000 for the initiation fee, plus several hundred per month. There is a social membership for a $5,000 initiation fee and over $100 per month that will allow you to use their pool and gym. I hear the gym is not as nice as the one in the community, though. I found an article recently from 2018, where it said the golf course was going to go private. Hmmm… Maybe the sales person should have mentioned that when we bought our lot in 2021…

Since the developer still owns the community, we have an MOA. A year ago, when we bought our lot, the HOA fees were $120. When we moved in 11 months later, it was $125. In 2023 it is going up to $140. Some areas — like townhomes— pay more because lawn service is included.

As far as rules… some seem petty. You are only allowed 1 garden flag in your front yard. If you have more than one, you will receive a violation letter…. But, there seems to be no problem with the colors that some homeowners want to paint their homes.

Now that I am here, I would like to know what the future development is going to look like. Since the 9-hole course is not going in, that must mean they are going to put more lots in. I heard there were going to be 150 more homes, but it wasn’t approved. Then I heard it was 100 homes… So, who really knows? I can’t seem to find anything online, and the developer is not being transparent.

I obviously was not here, nor looking to move, when “Mr. Bobby” was developing this community (before he sold it to Renaissance). But, it seems there is a big difference between Mr. Bobby’s vision and Renaissance’s vision. Some of the new residents are moving, some even before their house is completed. If you Google “Compass Pointe,” there is a ad that comes up that says, “Looking in Compass Pointe? View River Bluffs Instead.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina