Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times

Advertisements

If you use the term “Night life” and don’t want Wilmington, you are pretty much out of luck,

Oak Island gets very crowded and congested on big holiday weekends in summer. There are now two ways on the island, but it is still rough. And one bridge will be closed for repairs in the mid-term.

I lived there in the late 90’s but got very tired of traffic, lack of services, and local politics. There are now much better stores, but traffic and politics remain as significant obstacles.

Morehead City should be considered. The beaches and more important, the water, is much better up near MHC, and there is a smidgen of nightlife.

New Bern is about an hour from the coast, and in your lifetime, the bypasses to MHC will be complete. It’s also two pretty easy hours to Raleigh heading west. It is great for water based activities, and though not a pleasant topic, has very good medical facilities. When I was in 50s this was not much of a factor, but as I have aged further, good, local medical continues to rise in importance.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 AM

77 posts, read 144,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you use the term “Night life” and don’t want Wilmington, you are pretty much out of luck,

Oak Island gets very crowded and congested on big holiday weekends in summer. There are now two ways on the island, but it is still rough. And one bridge will be closed for repairs in the mid-term.

I lived there in the late 90’s but got very tired of traffic, lack of services, and local politics. There are now much better stores, but traffic and politics remain as significant obstacles.

Morehead City should be considered. The beaches and more important, the water, is much better up near MHC, and there is a smidgen of nightlife.

New Bern is about an hour from the coast, and in your lifetime, the bypasses to MHC will be complete. It’s also two pretty easy hours to Raleigh heading west. It is great for water based activities, and though not a pleasant topic, has very good medical facilities. When I was in 50s this was not much of a factor, but as I have aged further, good, local medical continues to rise in importance.

Good luck.
Thank you. MHC has been recommended to me by more than a few fishing and boating acquaintances and the water quality has been mentioned.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:34 AM

Sounds like we need to give Wilmington a fresh look and investigate boating opportunities.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
It sounds like the Crystal Coast might fit the bill for you. It is definitely a boating community with miles of beaches, approx. 90 miles of uninhabited beaches, fantastic fishing (sound, beach, inshore, offshore). The link below will take you to a brief Crystal Coast tourism video of the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByTE-UeBxlc

Full Disclosure: My wife and I have owned and operated a real estate agency in Morehead City for 15 years.

Crystal Coast Areas
1. Emerald Isle
2. Indian Beach
3. Pine Knoll Shores
4. Atlantic Beach
5. Morehead City
6. Beaufort
7. Harkers Island
8. Shackleford Banks
9. Cape lookout

Here is a detailed list of the Marinas/Ramps/Boating Activities in the area.
https://www.crystalcoast.com/crystal...ing-guide.html

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
God Bless!
Bill

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 04-30-2018 at 05:54 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 AM

One week and we’ll be on our way. Extended our stay one day, 8 nights instead of 7.

Very much looking forward to it!

Old 05-08-2018, 05:39 PM

55 posts, read 98,839 times
Definitely check out the Morehead City and Beaufort areas. We purchased a home in New Bern 2 years ago and love the town but were not pleased with the water quality in the Trent and Neuse Rivers. Purchased a creekfront home last summer in the Down East area and are enjoying the fishing and crabbing. The water is so clear. Now that the new bridge from Beaufort to Morehead is open, it's only about 25 minutes to shopping and restaurants. Plan to move to the cottage full time next year.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
I am a licensed remote pilot. I shot these two pictures yesterday for our real estate agency of Atlantic Beach, above the Oceanana pier. First picture looks east, the other west. These are unedited photos. The masters have our real estate logo on them and I know how strict the rules are here about advertising. Forgive the raw images with the crude graphics. Some folks like to "borrow" without permission. Click to enlarge pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Try this again...2nd/retire home ENC coastal-ab2.jpg   Try this again...2nd/retire home ENC coastal-ab1.jpg  

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 15,818 times
I wish there was some honest feedback about SJP! I see little comments, but want an honest sense of whats up before buying!!
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-16-2018, 10:30 AM

183 posts, read 287,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limnto View Post
I wish there was some honest feedback about SJP! I see little comments, but want an honest sense of whats up before buying!!
Thanks in advance!
Try adding a new comment re. the things you want to know in this existing topic, Thoughts or Information on St James Plantation

Old 05-16-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
Try adding a new comment re. the things you want to know in this existing topic, Thoughts or Information on St James Plantation
Umm...yes. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina