Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,270 times

Advertisements

My husband works in Fayetteville, and we are considering moving our family to the Wilmington area. Can someone tell me what kind of commute to expect, or if there would be a more convenient option for him to commute on the coast? We have three kids, and will be looking for good school districts as well. Currently near Raleigh, so he is already doing 65 minutes daily but we want to live near the beach.
Thanks for any advice/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgnolte View Post
My husband works in Fayetteville, and we are considering moving our family to the Wilmington area. Can someone tell me what kind of commute to expect, or if there would be a more convenient option for him to commute on the coast? We have three kids, and will be looking for good school districts as well.
Well, the radius of 65 miles from Fayetteville in the direction of the beach would put you in the area of Bladen County (Clarkton, Elizabethtown), Sampson County (Clinton), Duplin County (Beulaville), or Pender County (Wallace). You won't find any great schools there, except maybe a charter school or early college high school. It is farm country, and the kids are not pressured to achieve the way they are in the Raleigh suburbs. You might cruise around in SchoolDigger.com and see where the better schools are. Clarkton has some average schools, and that's the best ordinary public school I saw. Atkinson has some 3 out of 10 schools, which are not the worst.

If the husband were willing to commute from Burgaw (75 miles) or Rocky Point (just north of Wilmington) it would be 82 miles. Hampstead would be about 96 miles or 1 hour and 40 minutes commute to Fayetteville. If he could telecommute part time, it might be feasible.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-08-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 11:51 AM

460 posts, read 778,940 times
Where in Fayetteville does he work?

I used Google Maps to plan a trip from my house (vicinity of the Cross Creek Mall) to Wilmington and it came back at 95 miles, 1 hr 46 minutes (one way, Sunday morning traffic). If he works on Bragg, make that 100-105 miles each way. If he works normal hours and gets off when everyone else is trying to get home, you can plan on adding about 1/2 hour to the inside Fayetteville portion of the commute alone.

So, 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way (4-5 hours per day) is going to be spent driving directly to and from work. 200 miles per day in gas. You do the math and see if it is worth it. I'd try the commute for a week or so before committing, and that might not even be enough. My thoughts are that this commute will become unbearable in a short amount of time, and could lead to resentment towards you and the kids for wanting to live by the beach while working in Fayetteville.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:48 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times
If you're in Fayetteville, you're only 1 1/2-2 hours from the beach.....close enough for day trips down there. I wouldn't want to spend 4 hours in the car each day driving to and from work!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Commuting from Wilmington to fayetville is not feasible

It would be a two hour commute one way more or less

Old 05-09-2016, 07:30 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Interesting commute...this would be the expected schedule...

Leave Wilmington at about 6AM, should put him in Fayetteville at 7:30 with little to no traffic.
Leave Fayetteville at 4:30, should put you in Wilmington at about 6PM.

So you would leave Wilmington before any traffic gets started...and you would leave Fayetteville before 5PM rush hour and go opposite of Wilmington traffic (into town while those are leaving) coming in.

12 hour days. Mostly 2 lane road, but not much traffic if you time it right.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Interesting commute...this would be the expected schedule...

Leave Wilmington at about 6AM, should put him in Fayetteville at 7:30 with little to no traffic.
Leave Fayetteville at 4:30, should put you in Wilmington at about 6PM.

So you would leave Wilmington before any traffic gets started...and you would leave Fayetteville before 5PM rush hour and go opposite of Wilmington traffic (into town while those are leaving) coming in.

12 hour days. Mostly 2 lane road, but not much traffic if you time it right.
Your timetable indicates thirteen hours. Isn't there often a problem with weather, traffic or construction? I've never made it from Fayetteville to Wilmington in under two hours door to door.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM

183 posts, read 287,238 times
Sounds like the best alternatives would be a second home or apartment in one of the two locations.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times
Another option would be to move somewhere like Warsaw, NC or Elizabethtown, NC. Both are roughly an hour from each city. They are small towns with nothing to do, but would allow easy trips to both cities for fun things to do.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Your timetable indicates thirteen hours. Isn't there often a problem with weather, traffic or construction? I've never made it from Fayetteville to Wilmington in under two hours door to door.
No...only 12 hours. 6 to 6. Assuming no stopping for gas and leaving from midtown.

The key is to leave so early, there is zero traffic in Wilmington. If that's the case, the bridge/causeway is not an issue and you are cruising out of town. As well, coming into Fayetteville around 7:30 is before its worst traffic.

And I was figuring the downtown area via 87. I have made it in an hour and half. There is not much stopping at all along the route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina