Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:28 AM

978 posts, read 677,299 times

Advertisements

Might do a short Cycling tour soon and was wondering, are there any designated bicycle lanes on the bridges to Topsail Island? Are there any bicycle lanes crossing the bridges to Emerald Isle?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 09:51 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Might do a short Cycling tour soon and was wondering, are there any designated bicycle lanes on the bridges to Topsail Island? Are there any bicycle lanes crossing the bridges to Emerald Isle?
Thanks
Yes, there is a bike lane on the bridge to Topsail Island.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:40 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Emerald Isle's Causway has very skinny margins with a very low protective edge. It is not marked as a bicycle-friendly road by Google. I would not recommend it, although once on the island, there is a marked trail.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:59 PM

Thank you for the info. Too bad on NC’s shortsightedness .

Old 12-13-2021, 06:07 PM

927 posts, read 756,919 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. Too bad on NC’s shortsightedness .
FYI, the bridge to Topsail has a dedicated pedestrian wlakway, not a dedicated bike lane, so it is shared with walkers, dogs, etc.

And really, please name the states that have dedicated bike lanes on all bridges to to its beaches. I bet its a pretty short list...

Old 12-14-2021, 12:49 AM

You may be correct that it is a short list. The bridge at surf city is new. Creating a multi use lane - bicycles, pedestrians is a good thing no? Bringing a different slice of the economic pie to the beach area. No need for sour grapes.
It would be nice to go for a morning run, or bike ride cresting the bridge as the sun rises. Yea, short sighted.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:34 AM

927 posts, read 756,919 times
Quote:
You may be correct that it is a short list.
Yes, I am. Therefore singling out NC is unecessary and wrong.

Quote:
bridge at surf city is new. Creating a multi use lane - bicycles, pedestrians is a good thing no? No need for sour grapes.
Yes, absolutely a good thing. No sour grapes on my end...I don't understand your comment.

Quote:
would be nice to go for a morning run, or bike ride cresting the bridge as the sun rises. Yea, short sighted.
Sure, and NC built the Surf City bridge just so. Not short sighted.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 6,072,325 times
I have cycled over those bridges for many years and the only angst was the wind. Especially the Emerald Isle bridge/Causeway, low railings, wind, and the occasional broken beer bottle, make for a stressful cycling adventure. I actually loved the adventure in my 30s, thru my 60s, but not into my 70s.!!! LOL

If I may digress for a moment, a funny story about the old Bonner Bridge.

The first time I cycled down the Outerbanks (1990-ish), I came to Oregon Inlet and the northeast side of the old Bonner Bridge. I contemplated cycling across, but notice the speed and frequency of the traffic and the very, very, narrow space between the lane's edge and the cement wall of the bridge. After a moment or two I decided to forego the ride across Herbert C Bonner's namesake and instead enjoy a cold soft drink at the Marina. I turned around, and slowly rolled down from the bridge toward the entrance to the parking lot.
As I was turning around, two, barely teenage, girls in flip flops and beach cruisers came off the bridge, waved and continues up the road in the direction of Whalebone Junction, 28-30 miles up the road.
An YES, this veteran bike rider decked out in full cyclist clown costume turned tail and coasted into the marina for his cold drink.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I have cycled over those bridges for many years and the only angst was the wind. Especially the Emerald Isle bridge/Causeway, low railings, wind, and the occasional broken beer bottle, make for a stressful cycling adventure. I actually loved the adventure in my 30s, thru my 60s, but not into my 70s.!!! LOL

If I may digress for a moment, a funny story about the old Bonner Bridge.

The first time I cycled down the Outerbanks (1990-ish), I came to Oregon Inlet and the northeast side of the old Bonner Bridge. I contemplated cycling across, but notice the speed and frequency of the traffic and the very, very, narrow space between the lane's edge and the cement wall of the bridge. After a moment or two I decided to forego the ride across Herbert C Bonner's namesake and instead enjoy a cold soft drink at the Marina. I turned around, and slowly rolled down from the bridge toward the entrance to the parking lot.
As I was turning around, two, barely teenage, girls in flip flops and beach cruisers came off the bridge, waved and continues up the road in the direction of Whalebone Junction, 28-30 miles up the road.
An YES, this veteran bike rider decked out in full cyclist clown costume turned tail and coasted into the marina for his cold drink.
Thank you for your constructive input! Bonner bridge is a different beast altogether!

Old 12-14-2021, 10:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 6,072,325 times
Quote:
Thank you for your constructive input! Bonner bridge is a different beast altogether!
Several years back I did a credit card ride from Ducktown, Tn to Duck, NC. That forth day after 165 miles in the saddle riding the bridges onto the Outer Banks was wayyyy worse than any crossing of the Emerald Isle Bridge/Causeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina