Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 11:55 AM

17 posts, read 11,842 times

Advertisements

Any information regarding DR Horton and for that matter Pulti, Lennar, and True Homes reviews in and around Bolivia? In many areas they have mixed or worse reviews but that seems dependent on the local project managers and subs that they employ. Reviews good and bad, lawsuits, other issues?
Thanks

Last edited by Mikec52; 07-01-2023 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 01:17 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
True Homes is semi-custom. They build in St James, for example. The others are mass production builders.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 11,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
True Homes is semi-custom. They build in St James, for example. The others are mass production builders.
Thanks and yes, I'm aware. I'm wondering their rep in the Bolivia area.

Old 07-01-2023, 02:54 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
D.R. Horton did some nice houses in Sneads Ferry 8 years ago. The latest offerings in Bolivia are small, very plain models. They seem to be aiming at the lowest budget market, so I can't compare.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:04 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Our agent brought us to two DR Horton developments in Bolivia, did not care for the construction quality, not to mention, lack of options......we were told "What you see is what you get" when we asked about upgrades such as Crown Molding, and different type of flooring. We also noticed small patio area, so I mentioned "WE" could take out double window in extremely small living room, put in French doors and add a 3 season room.....I was told it would have to be approved thru HOA (totally understand, been there), no guarantee it would pass.....would need to purchase the home, then go before the board.....no sale.....not to mention advertising 1,600 sq. ft.......I just didn't see it being 1,600 being we currently own 1,700.....seemed a heck of a lot smaller. This has brought us to the conclusion that we purchase a resale, try to stay away from HOA's....or, be present during construction phase daily, with a hired inspector in an established community with solid finances and somewhat flexible HOA. Just a suggestion......You Tube DR Horton.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:50 AM

159 posts, read 189,015 times
We have a DR Horton junk in E TN. 3 months old. A/C is out for 2nd time. Still waiting for call back a day. Issues with electrical in kitchen, blowing fuses!!! Trim fallung off of garage! Lot not graded properly, rivers in backyard when it rains!! No drainage. Biggest mistake I've made.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:26 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgirl View Post
We have a DR Horton junk in E TN. 3 months old. A/C is out for 2nd time. Still waiting for call back a day. Issues with electrical in kitchen, blowing fuses!!! Trim fallung off of garage! Lot not graded properly, rivers in backyard when it rains!! No drainage. Biggest mistake I've made.
They don`t build them like they used to...it`s the same where ever you go. I have heard about cabinets falling off the walls, sinks falling in, and many other problems. I would look into older homes.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:16 PM

129 posts, read 171,121 times
None of them are exempt from poor craftsmanship. There are Facebook groups for all the builders. Good sources for the good, bad, and ugly. Sadly, even the award winning home builder's are only as good as those that build them. Try a tour during construction, if they'll allow. You'll learn a lot. As with any new home builder I would highly recommend an inspection at every phase.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:53 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterTherapy View Post
None of them are exempt from poor craftsmanship. There are Facebook groups for all the builders. Good sources for the good, bad, and ugly. Sadly, even the award winning home builder's are only as good as those that build them. Try a tour during construction, if they'll allow. You'll learn a lot. As with any new home builder I would highly recommend an inspection at every phase.

Not sure how it is working in your area but this is the perspective from Texas. Typically these type issues are common to the same Builder around the country if they build around the country.

Inspections are always recommended however Builders have gotten wise to inspections and many throw up road blocks to having them. One big problem is that for many the inspection clauses and requirements are not even in the original purchase contract as many buyers are not thinking about them when signing. Afterward when they do want them Builders either refuse to allow it or make all types of ridiculous demands for them to be completed.

DR Horton has mostly done Spec homes meaning they don't even offer them for sale until they are near finish out. As a result there are no real opportunities for phase inspections.

Agreed that "None of them are exempt from poor craftsmanship". What I have found over the lat 19 years is that it almost always comes down to the abilities of the Build Supervisor. Get a good Build Supervisor and issues are minimized. Obviously if you get a bad one you'll be pulling your hair out watching the issues pile up and go uncorrected.

This is a very good piece of advice!

Quote:
Try a tour during construction, if they'll allow.

I will add to not only tour one house under construction but also several more in that development. That will give a better perspective if they are consistent in the building process. If you get a chance to speak with current homeowners then do so. Visit the development at a time where you would expect people to be out and about. Strike up a conversation and ask what they think of their build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina