Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM

77 posts, read 353,770 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I will be traveling from Columbus OH to Outer Banks in a little over a week and I was wondering if anyone knew any good stops along the way. I will be taking US 33 to I 77 to I 64 (There are a few others but those are the biggies). Basically Columbus then Athens, Charleston WV, through the Appalachian Mts, by Charlotesville, Richmond VA, Chesepeake then OBX! Hopefully that makes sense to someone. Its hard to find things along the way rather than researching a specific location. All help is GREATLY appreciated!

Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
you can stop in charlottesville and see monticello. charlottesville is actually a nice town. also, when you get passed richmond on I-64, you will be going through the historic triangle of yorktown, jamestown, and williamsburg. there is lots to see and do along that stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley111 View Post
Hi everyone! I will be traveling from Columbus OH to Outer Banks in a little over a week and I was wondering if anyone knew any good stops along the way. I will be taking US 33 to I 77 to I 64 (There are a few others but those are the biggies). Basically Columbus then Athens, Charleston WV, through the Appalachian Mts, by Charlotesville, Richmond VA, Chesepeake then OBX! Hopefully that makes sense to someone. Its hard to find things along the way rather than researching a specific location. All help is GREATLY appreciated!

Ashley

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
You can check out the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive right off of 64. Short hikes and sceinic overlooks abound off the Blue Ridge parkway and its free.
A nice place to check out and have a picnic is at milepost 6 along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Its an interprative center, visitor center, and if you like to hike, a refreshing( moderatly hard ) 1 mile hike up to Humpback Rocks overlook.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 PM

69 posts, read 453,971 times
I moved to Wilmington from Columbus, Ohio last August. Enjoy the ride! It's a beautiful drive!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone! I am beyond excited.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 13,550 times
What a great trip!

Sorry, I only have suggestions of things to do in OBX!

Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesNJ View Post
What a great trip!

Sorry, I only have suggestions of things to do in OBX!
That would be great too! I plan to check out lighthouses, shopping, the aquarium, kayak and just explore. I've done a lot of research but nothing compares to people who have been there and learned helpful things about OBX. Thanks! 1 week to go!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,858 times
Hey there. I am from Ohio originally, live in Virginia Beach, and go to the OBX all of time.

That is a good route you are taking, and the easiest way to get here.

Be careful driving in the mountians.

Where in the OBX are you going to be staying, city wise?

My favorite restaurant is in Duck, and it is called Fishbones Raw Bar and Grill. Wow, the food is amazing! And the view is fantastic! Get the calamari! Also, in that area, is a place called Lighthouse bagels, They have the most amazing bagels EVER.

If you drive a little further, on the left hand side there is a lighthouse (The Name escapes me). It is right by the Whalehead Club. You can get some amazing pictures there. One cool thing to do. When you park your car there, you will see a "Public Access" sign and what looks like the start of a small pier. Take a walk on that, it dead ends in the sound. It is a nice, relaxing spot, and I took my all time favorite photo there. Very pretty, and you can get some good shots of the lighthouse from that vantage point.

Stay away from the "Outlet Mall", as that is the worst outlet mall I have ever seen, bar none.

Mulligans is a great place to eat as well, it is right by there.

The Wright Brothers Memorial is pretty cool, but, bring your walking shoes, as you will get a workout climbing the hill.

Are you planning on taking a trip to Cape Hatteras? That is fun, although I am sure the traffic will be a nightmare

I hope you have a great time, I LOVE going there. I have lived here 2.5 years and have been probably 10 times or more

Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 PM

[quote=IonRedline08;4432479]
Be careful driving in the mountians.

Where in the OBX are you going to be staying, city wise?

My favorite restaurant is in Duck, and it is called Fishbones Raw Bar and Grill. Wow, the food is amazing! And the view is fantastic! Get the calamari! Also, in that area, is a place called Lighthouse bagels, They have the most amazing bagels EVER.

Stay away from the "Outlet Mall", as that is the worst outlet mall I have ever seen, bar none.

Thanks for all the info! I have never driven through the mountains so I'm a little nervous but I am a very cautious driver. I am staying in Kitty Hawk. I figured it was close to a lot of places so I went with it. I'm glad you told me about the outlet mall haha...I would have been so disappointed! I will definetly check out Fishbones and get the calamari! Thanks again...5 days to go!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
You'll see a lot of Ohio license plates on the way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina