Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

Hi, I guess like many other folks on this site, I'm looking to make a move to North Carolina. I've lived in Nashville for the last 19 years and after 20 years in the music business, I'm really ready to get out of here. Great city... don't get me wrong. Just time for a change. I'm originally from Philly. I've lived in NYC and L.A. and now I just want to be somewhere on the coast where I can sail. I got back into sailing heavily about 5 years ago and inland lakes of TN. just don't cut it any longer. I'm looking for an artistic community with some cool local spots and decent restaurants. My girlfriend and I are in our mid 30's early 40's and we have no children. I've been working in the film industry as a producer / production coordinator for the last 6 years. We'll probably rent first. We've been thinking about Wilmington and or Southport but we're open for suggestions. We'll be visiting in May to drive around and get a feel for the different areas we're considering. I've read so many posts on this site (which is great by the way) that it's hard to get a feel for each opinion. Unfortunately the ages aren't posted with each one so a person who is retired and wanting a slower pace is going to feel differently than a 22 year old looking to live in a place with constant stimulation. Any input / advice would be greatly appreciated and of course, taken with a grain of salt. Thanks everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,679 times
Default Nashville to North Carolina..

Nashville to North Carolina...Wilmington is an artistic community for musicians...many movies are made in this area. Southport has it's share of artistic talent, but the night life sucks! I live in Southport and love the charm...Nightlife will have to put you in Wilmington (30 miles away) or Myrtle Beach (70 miles away). But for sailing...southport's the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd4700 View Post
Hi, I guess like many other folks on this site, I'm looking to make a move to North Carolina. I've lived in Nashville for the last 19 years and after 20 years in the music business, I'm really ready to get out of here. Great city... don't get me wrong. Just time for a change. I'm originally from Philly. I've lived in NYC and L.A. and now I just want to be somewhere on the coast where I can sail. I got back into sailing heavily about 5 years ago and inland lakes of TN. just don't cut it any longer. I'm looking for an artistic community with some cool local spots and decent restaurants. My girlfriend and I are in our mid 30's early 40's and we have no children. I've been working in the film industry as a producer / production coordinator for the last 6 years. We'll probably rent first. We've been thinking about Wilmington and or Southport but we're open for suggestions. We'll be visiting in May to drive around and get a feel for the different areas we're considering. I've read so many posts on this site (which is great by the way) that it's hard to get a feel for each opinion. Unfortunately the ages aren't posted with each one so a person who is retired and wanting a slower pace is going to feel differently than a 22 year old looking to live in a place with constant stimulation. Any input / advice would be greatly appreciated and of course, taken with a grain of salt. Thanks everyone in advance.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,536 times
Thanks for the input. Not too many posted replies and I appreciate it. We'll be coming to the area for a visit in May. Looking forward to seeing both.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:49 PM

70 posts, read 182,616 times
Chris, I think you guys would enjoy Wilmington. It can be as busy or as laid back as you want it to be. My children always said they couldn't wait to leave but they are in their mid to late 20s and appreciate it more now. We have a boat(motor, not sail) and it really makes life more fun here. There is such a feeling of freedom and serenity on the water, especially during the week when it is less crowded. Feel free to e-mail me with specific questions about any area you are interested in and I will let you know what a "local" thinks.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM

148 posts, read 611,511 times
You may want to spend a day or so in Morehead City, alot smaller than Wilmington, but Morehead City has charm about it, I like the downtown...I recently ate at a place called Raps, reminds me of Cheers the old TV show....Morehead City may be a little slower pace, but it is charming....

Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM

60 posts, read 188,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd4700 View Post
I'm in my early 40's, and have spent quite a bit of time in Wilmington. As far as coastal NC goes, I think that is what you may be looking for. Wilmington has a very strong music scene. Theatre is also strong in Wilmington. There is almost always live theatre going on, usually at Thalian Hall (Thalian Hall) or City Stage (Level 5 at City Stage). There are lots of great restaurants in the Wilmington area, as well. In general, live music and theatre are big factors in Wilmington ( Don't forget Universal Studios has a location there, as well.) It is a college town,(University of North Carolina, Wilmington) so nightlife is pretty lively, probably a big reason live music is so popular there, as well. However, it is a large enough city that the college doesn't dominate the place. Healthy, organic living is a pretty popular theme, as well. Wilmington has a very nice organic co-op (Organic Foods | Natural Foods & Deli | Wilmington, NC), as well as many other health food stores.

Southport is pretty much a smaller version of Wilmington, with less choices - but still a GREAT place, especially if you are looking for a smaller town. Being right on the ocean is very soothing - and a gem if you're into sailing.
It's only about 45 minutes from Wilmington.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,107 times
You might want to check out Oriental, NC...I've heard it referred to as the sailing capital of NC and there website states "800 residents and over 3000 sailboats...". Best of luck to you! Oriental Escapes - Oriental, NC the Sailing capital of North Carolina

Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,682 times
Wilmington if you already have work or are not in need of an income (artsy). Oriental if you worship sailing and can go without income. Myrtle Beach if you need work. There are several 'theatres' that produce year round shows and need talent. Carolina Theatre, Ronnie Milsap, Alabama ... sort of like a Branson atmosphere plus the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina