Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 42,485 times

Advertisements

We just rented a cottage (actually, half a duplex) on Topsail beach for the week of June 6th! Since we moved to Raleigh a little over a month ago from the Jersey shore, we figured we should dedicate some time to discovering the seashore of NC.

We found an oceanfront, two bedroom, one bath for $750 and are bringing our little dog with us (she was raised at the beach and loves the sand and a good tennis ball!)

Anyone have any advice on restaurants, day trips, activities, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
You'll be close to Wilmington and if you haven't visited there yet, then I'd head into town one afternoon and visit the downtown area down on the Cape Fear River. VERY dog friendly. You can bring the pup into many stores, some will even have a bowl of water and a snack for the dog. Lots of interesting stores. Some historic homes you can tour I think (really neat old neighborhoods right near downtown). The USS North Carolina is across the river and you could tour it.

There is also the Aquarium and Ft. Fisher if you drive out past Carolina and Kure beaches.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Just don't say "shore" down here it is beach. Have fun and enjoy the shore,,,erhhh, I mean beach.

lln

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
We just rented a cottage (actually, half a duplex) on Topsail beach for the week of June 6th! Since we moved to Raleigh a little over a month ago from the Jersey shore, we figured we should dedicate some time to discovering the seashore of NC.

We found an oceanfront, two bedroom, one bath for $750 and are bringing our little dog with us (she was raised at the beach and loves the sand and a good tennis ball!)

Anyone have any advice on restaurants, day trips, activities, etc?
First of all what is "Inner Banks"???? I grew up near Topsail and have never heard of Inner Banks. And it's not really a "seashore" as all the massive over building on Topsail has destroyed most of the "seashore". However, I often hear folks from Jersey refer to Topsail "as the way the beach use to be"... I assume they are talking about the way things use to be in Jersey, because very little on Topsail resembles what it did 20 years ago.

Resturant selection will depend if you are staying at the North End or South End. Topsail Island is about 24 miles long end to end. Post which end you are staying at and I can recommend some places to eat.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 AM

17 posts, read 42,485 times
Thanks for the advice!

Inner banks: Inner Banks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
I've heard the term, but not often, to refer to Edenton, Bath, etc. But since Topsail is actually on the coast, I wouldn't consider it "Inner".

Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,395 times
Default reply

inner banks seems to be a cheesy chamber of commerce/tourism department created term. i have never heard a native use the term. i wish it would go away.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM

291 posts, read 869,850 times
Re: restaurants - if you like Thai food, try the Thai Grille in Surf City - also Sears Landing in Surf City is nice.....there are lots of others in Surf City and Hampstead...there aren't too many on North Topsail, but a few up at Sneads Ferry...like Rick's and the Riverview.... Enjoy your stay on the island!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
inner banks seems to be a cheesy chamber of commerce/tourism department created term. i have never heard a native use the term. i wish it would go away.
Dang Uncle, after the peeing contest we had over something (which Idon't even remember), I have gone and given you points for this one. Well done!

lln

Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
Thanks for the advice!

Inner banks: Inner Banks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good Grief! What the heck? IBX????

I love this part of the wiki entry:
"The term "Inner Banks" is a recent construct of developers and the tourism industry to rebrand the mostly agrarian coastal plain as a more attractive region for visitors and retirees. The term is rarely used colloquially."

In other words it was created by someone who never owned a drop of soil in NC prior to the 90s.

I personally thought the coastal region South of the Outer Banks was a "more attractive region" before bulldozers killed off all the sea oats & myrtle bushes, bulldozed sand dunes and filled in marsh lands that are nesting grounds for shellfish and other aquatic species.

The person(s) who came up with IBX was only concerned about making $$$$ and sold their sorry soul in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina