Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,575 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I have just accepted jobs in Morehead City, and we would like to find a 2-bedroom condo or townhome rental for @ $725 a month in a nice, safe area. We want to live within 15 minutes drive of Carteret Community College, but my understanding is that places like Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, and other area are within easy driving distance. Could anybody suggest some areas for us to look at or which property management/rental agencies to work with?

What is crime like in the Atlantic Beach area? Are there high-crime areas in and around Morehead we should avoid?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times
All of Morehead, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach and Newport are 15 minutes away from CCC. And crime? Well, if you come from a medium to large city just forget what you nare use to in terms of crime. That 'stuff" just doesn't happen here.
I would recommend you to visit the county newspaper the Carteret News Times. It is a tri-weekly publication. Your crime questions would be best answered by visiting the online paper and doing a search there.
Bill

Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 AM

Default More info

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! We're coming from Greenville, where crime seems pretty high, but we've never been personally affected by crime and live in a safe area, on the safer side of town.

I should also add that we are in our 30s, young professionals, and have one cat. I see a lot of places saying "no pets," so I'm worried about our limited options.

I would love to be within walking distance of water, but I know that affordable places near water may be limited.

I saw some really affordable townhomes on Center Drive in Atlantic Beach close to the Sound and was wondering WHY they are so affordable...made me wonder if that area had a bit more property crime or something.

Here is the spot I am referring to

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...ed=0CAcQ8gEwAA

(sorry I can't figure out how to add a hyperlink in my post)

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Melissa2010,
Not a crime issue-A real estate inventory glut and in the middle of winter issue. I've seen more properties for rent this winter than I ever have.
The one negative about where you picked in Atlantic Beach is that it is the Hub of Tourism during the summer.
And when it comes to walking distance to water-Most of carteret Co. is walking distance to one body of water or another.
Might I suggest you look at my profile here at CD for additional information that would be most helpful for your search.
Take Care,
Bill

Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,692 times
In eastern NC, in general, apartments/townhouses tend to come in two varieties. Section 8 housing for low income, and overpriced preying on military/retirees with deep pockets. People have yards and land around here and apartments and townhouses are often viewed as being one step up from a trailer. In Greenville there's alot of good cheap apartment complexes due to the college. There are starting to be nicer townhomes being developed, as more transplants are moving to the area that have an affinity for them. Though as I said, you are likely to find cheaper rent on a home of similar size than a newer townhouse. Also, you are far more likely to find a house that allows pets than an apartment.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM

So you're saying that there would be decent homes to rent for $725 a month in the Morehead area?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM

So you're saying that there would be decent homes to rent for $725 a month in the Morehead area?
Yes. Keeping mind that "nice" is subjective. My advice to you would be first to check the classified section of the Carteret News Times. Home rentals have a high rate of the owner doing it alone. I'm a real estate broker and access rentals via the mls-But i would try the paper first.
Bill

Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Thank you Bill. I found 1-2 leads from the paper and Craigslist. And I called around 12 realtors today. I'm not finding a lot...we're willing to go as high as 800 a month. We have a cat, which knocks several places out of contention. If have any leads on rentals, I'd be most appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina