Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times

Advertisements

Vintage cards, postcards and/or travel posters. Some are just reprints, some are the genuine item.
Some are fairly recent, some are from the 20th century.
I don't have all that many, but I like the ones I have.
One of my favorites (I sure hope I can find it, we just moved) is an original postcard depicting Brigitte Bardot as France's Marianne, in mermaid form, recling on the beach.
Bizarre yet fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
You mean besides lint and dust?

American-made pottery and dinnerware, especially Ohio-made dinnerware from 1900-1970. My biggest collection is of LuRay Pastels, made by the Taylor Smith Taylor Co. in Chester, W.Va. I also have a ton of Fiesta, various sets of dinnerware from Salem, Sebring and Royal china companies, and lots of Hall China.

Also a nifty collection of 1950s ceramic ashtrays.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,199 times
I bet no one would guess that I collect dolls and anything related to dolls. HA HA HA

Yep .... they are running me out of the house. You Barbie collectors would love my house.....I have closets of collectible Barbies in unopened boxes but my first love is antique dolls and those from the 1950's and 1960's.

Of course I also collect hummels, snowbabies, pitchers, doll houses, vintage doll furniture, vintage childrens clothes, some types of antique furniture, quilts, and on and on.....

Good thing I have a big house.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
I collect fountain pens and have since I was a child. I don't know how many I have but probably too many!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
My husband would like you all to know that I collect stray cats. I generally find homes for them, but I keep one every once in a while......

Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
I collect anything peratining to tea; cups, kettles, teapots, demispoons, little forks and I also collect hand painted plates to display. Oh and hardcovered books...I read them all and than shelve them, I love my collection hope to have a den/library one day.

Rocks ans seashells from different places I go to. I have an acrylic cylandar table that I fill them into by regions.
Hi Pixie Dust! We got hooked on those quirky Paul Cardew Design tea pots from England. Have you seen/collected any of them?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
My husband would like you all to know that I collect stray cats. I generally find homes for them, but I keep one every once in a while......
Our neighbors accused us of "collecting cats" last summer because we were giving treats and catnip to another neighbor's cat, which in turn attracted two kittens dumped in the alley behind our house. The kittens set up housekeeping under our shed and in our garden (which I firmly believe kept the squirrels and bunnies away from the tomatoes!), which made the neighbors' dog bark, which they blamed on us and our "collecting cats."

We ended up keeping the kittens. They are the sweetest things!

You go right on collecting stray cats!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Here is what dh and I collect:

Shot glasses from all of the places we go (don't really use them but they are small so that is why I think)

Playing Cards from all the places we go.

The Sticker that is shaped like a football of all the places we go that has the initials. Like the one from Hilton Head Island is HHI. (I can put those in the albums of the pic's from the trip IF I ever get them all developed)

Small refridgerator magnets from places we go. Hubby likes lighthouses and so we try to see them whenever we can on trips and I've found small magnets of some.

Seashells - if they are cool ones and sand dollars.

Fischer-Price Little People buildings - the original ones from the 60's. My kids LOVE to play w/ these. I had them growing up but my parents got rid of them. I started finding them all several years ago and have all of them now and some I have more than one of. I have one of the blue and yellow houses in the box that they don't get to play with.

Books - hardcover and mostly history. Some of the picture ones that are the "then and now" from different places.

Miniture Lighthouses - this is dh's collection of lighthouses. The ones that are about 4" and all come from this one company.

Miniture Pedalcars - he has a few but would like a real one that is original.

Hot Wheels - this is dh's collection. I think he last counted close to 2000 but he only collects the OLD ones, Redlines. Not much into the new stuff unless it is the model of a car he likes.

Cars - yes we collect cars. Even the other day when the guy came to clean the carpets he asked if we had bought anything since he was last here. LOL!!! He collects cars too. Of course we had indeed bought another car for the collection. Oh well.

If you saw my closet you would say I collect shoes. I LOVE shoes

Old 06-20-2007, 10:33 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,858 times
I love collecting old photos and documents pertaining to our area. We just raised enough money to relocate the old library and are going to use it as a historical society building so now my collection will have a home! I also collect cereal boxes and believe my original Batman cereal box (1989) with the coin bank is fairly valuable. And yes I too collect stray cats.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:20 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Books - hardcover and mostly history. Some of the picture ones that are the "then and now" from different places.
Mom..I forgot to add that I also collect those hardcover "then and now" books too..I have most all I think, give or take a couple of cities...I've always been a fan of historical photos, especially if they also have a pic of what it looks like today. The book, Colorado 1870-2000, is terrific if you don't have it. Modern day photographers in Colorado found the exact same spot to retake pics that originally were taken in the late 1800s. Very interesting how some areas haven't changed one bit except for maybe a tree getting larger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques