Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 PM

652 posts, read 873,710 times

Advertisements

A lot of the Hot Wheels collectors show up at toy stores to help stock the shelves when they get new shipments of hot wheels. What people will not do for first pick of the newest hot wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
When I was in 2nd grade, the boy I like was into Hot Wheels so I had to be, too. For Christmas I asked for Hot Wheels. Santa was very accommodating, complete with track and everything. The only problem was I had to wait until my father & older brother got done playing with them before I could.

Fast forward a few decades: My husband & I are in the business of buying junk & selling antiques. We do very well with toys-including Hot Wheels and Matchbox. I don't collect but I was very tempted to keep set we once acquired, they were Corgi MLB trading cars-almost the ENTIRE SET!!! (Missing one)

I was really disappointed when we sold them because we only got $25 for them and then the guy we sold them to, turned around and sold each one for $7. If I knew he was going to do that, I would have held on to them. (BTW the photo was the one we used to sell it in 2006-I just realized that I made a booboo. It should have been the Cards where the Mets are-but that was how the season ended that year. I no longer have the set but I have the pic to prove I once did. lol)

There is one Hot Wheels if we were to acquire it, I would be very tempted to keep-and that is the Splittin' Image:

I remember this from when I was a kid. I loved it then, and I still love it today. Some things you never outgrow. lol.

Cat
I have a bunch of these in great shape I'll sell you for $1.50 each.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:13 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
A lot of the Hot Wheels collectors show up at toy stores to help stock the shelves when they get new shipments of hot wheels. What people will not do for first pick of the newest hot wheels.
When a man, who I told I found a ' rare find' HW care on those pegs, tried to follow me and my then 3 yr old out of Walmart and I drove to the Police Dept and had them go to the store to see who he was on the video...that was the END of our Hot Wheels collecting!
So I have lots of HW....in sets, in groups, and all of them from the 1990-1995 years. IF anyone is looking for those, I'm inclined to sell ALL of them and give the $$ to my son for college expenses. They have been in Rubbermaid bins for 23+ yrs and I kept in climate controlled and smoke free home. NONE of them are opened. I always bought him one to play with and one to keep.

Last edited by mooksmom; 05-31-2015 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: change info

Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 PM

Default Take it from me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Me and my Wife we trying to think of something to collect. Maybe for monetary value later on, giving to our Daughter later in life or just plain collecting for the hell of it. We boiled it down to Hot Wheels cause yoyo's that we play are too expensive and we cannot resist playing them. We are thinking like when we are in Walmart or the Grocery Store (one we shop at sometimes has them) seeing one we like and maybe buying doubles if we can.

Are there any good online sites for pricing? Buying and trading (yes we know ebay already...lol)? Any tips for when or where to look for any less common ones? Any other tips for us?
DON'T DO IT! They take up a LOT of room, you have to worry about peeps breaking into your home who know you have them, and you will NEVER get close to what you paid for them, even in the original packages and even in sets. I have more than 100-200 of them, from the 90s, and have even emailed the original HW guy, Mike, to see who he suggests I sell or give them to.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I got over 750 of them from the mid 1990's to the early 2000's and can't find a dealer. I got many in different series and won't let someone cherry pick. I will sell the whole bunch or not. I guess not so far, ha ha.
It was fun to do for my son and me for a while, but now he doesn't want them (he is 23) and I even bought the books on what they're worth and he won't sit there and sell them...it's left to me. I am like you, I'm not gonna let people pick through them and I have 100+ full sets! I'll just keep em for the grand-kids one day or I will die with them and then my son can take them to Goodwill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques