Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,947 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone- I have a jar of very old marbles, different sizes and different materials, got at an antique auction 20 years ago. I see on E-bay that marble collecting is Big Business. I need a marble expert to tell me if any of my marbles are worth anything! I got some books at the librairy about collecting antique marbles, but it seems like you really, really have to study and know your stuff for years to be able to differentiate between valuable marbles and hunks of glass. Is there anyone that would be willing to help me? Maybe I could e-mail close-up digital pictures of some of the marbles I have and you could tell me if they are worth anything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 12:37 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Are you sure you haven't already spent more time and money on this than it's worth? On the other hand, if you want to become a marble collector and expert, then I would recommend finding small mom-n-pop type antiques shops, as I've often seen marbles in such shops, and the proprietors are sometimes old enough to know about marbles. Maybe they could help you out.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I have no idea what marbles are worth, but back in HS I went out with a guy who was into antiques and all that, and with all things old, also came marbles.

I have a huge jar (a Ball Mason Jar) full of them, mixed with some newer ones too.

I just keep that jar on my mantle, and give some to friends every once in a while, who think they are about to lose it, over every day life, with a little note inside telling them that with these, they will never have anyone tell them they have lost their marbles...

LOL

I am sorry I could not be of help, but, I love my jar of marbles... They sit next to an old birdhouse that looks like an old country church on top of my mantle...

I would never think of them as worth money, though... some may be, I have not a clue... I just like them.

ok, call me a dork, I don't care! you can't have my marbles!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I have no idea what marbles are worth, but back in HS I went out with a guy who was into antiques and all that, and with all things old, also came marbles.

I have a huge jar (a Ball Mason Jar) full of them, mixed with some newer ones too.

I just keep that jar on my mantle, and give some to friends every once in a while, who think they are about to lose it, over every day life, with a little note inside telling them that with these, they will never have anyone tell them they have lost their marbles...

LOL

I am sorry I could not be of help, but, I love my jar of marbles... They sit next to an old birdhouse that looks like an old country church on top of my mantle...

I would never think of them as worth money, though... some may be, I have not a clue... I just like them.

ok, call me a dork, I don't care! you can't have my marbles!!!
That sounds great - they're such nice objects aren't they?

Kitty3 - I'd keep them if I were you. Did you buy them because you liked them, or with selling-on in mind?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:09 AM

7,913 posts, read 933,225 times
i collect marbles. i have like 200 and my mom has a few thousand. you can sell them for $1.00 a piece at mom n pop stores.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:17 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
LOL!
Wonderful! Wonderful! What an insanely wonderful idea!!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:23 AM

7,913 posts, read 933,225 times
does anyone wanna give me marbles? My birthdays in a month? lol

Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 11,506 times
Anyone interested in buying old marbles. They were dug up in Savannah Georgia and are old Indian Marbles. Must sell

Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 41,591 times
I like marbles and I used to buy them when I was younger but there lost now, they wouldnt have been old, although I do have this one big marble that I've hung on to just because I havent seen one as big, I used to chuck it and catch it while standing on the bed lol , but I don't think it would ever be worth anything, maybe a few hundred years lol.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
This is an arcane science indeed. The books often list only the rarest and priciest types. I would refer you to marblealan.com, but his site seems to have melted down and is being reconstructed. He is still the one to contact as that dude knows EVERYTHING. He can at least refer you to the best books!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques