Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times

Advertisements

I have a collection of antique wrenches & old tools, some have markings from Railroad companies, like Southern Pacific , or other old railroad lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
I have a small collection of primitive tools. I'm particularly drawn to glass insulators. I have a decent amount all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
what do you collect?-pic1.jpg   what do you collect?-pic2.jpg   what do you collect?-pic3.jpg  

Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,212 times
I know what I would collect if I had the time, money and space: pink depression glass. And I think I would occasionally use it. I used to see it places but these days most people know what it is and it doesn't stay around long.

I inherited a coin collection, and a stamp collection from someone who thought the stamps were worth more if they were cancelled! I have more one-of-a-kind things, like my DDad's violin.

DH still laments the baseball card collection that got tossed when he went into the army. Came back to find everything gone.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,800 times
Lithograph art prints by John Paul Strain, Mort Kunstler and Bradley Schmehl.

All Southern War of Independence (1860-1865) Confederate focused - generals, battles, etc.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 AM

61 posts, read 87,035 times
Collect something very small. The many advantages include:

1. You won't get rid of it when you move.
2. Because you keep it for many years, eventually you will have a collection of very old things that you got very cheaply. So fun to see what things are going for in 2016, when you paid so little for them in 1987!
3. Takes no space, and annoys no one.
4. If you travel, you can go to pawn shops looking for your "thing" and then keep your finds in your luggage--don't have to pay to ship stuff home.

BTW, I collect old Shriners pins. They average 1/4" to 1/2" in size.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeowArfArf View Post
Collect something very small. The many advantages include:

1. You won't get rid of it when you move.
2. Because you keep it for many years, eventually you will have a collection of very old things that you got very cheaply. So fun to see what things are going for in 2016, when you paid so little for them in 1987!
3. Takes no space, and annoys no one.
4. If you travel, you can go to pawn shops looking for your "thing" and then keep your finds in your luggage--don't have to pay to ship stuff home.

BTW, I collect old Shriners pins. They average 1/4" to 1/2" in size.
this is true I have started to collect miniature elephants you would not believe how hard mini elephants are to find LOL .

Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 AM

7,004 posts, read 4,813,910 times
I have a collection of Christmas nutcrackers. Got my first one probably 40 years ago, a gift from a friend. They only come out for Christmas. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred of them, give or take.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM

30,499 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this is true I have started to collect miniature elephants you would not believe how hard mini elephants are to find LOL .
yea, well try finding hippos!

but it's rather happifying when you do find them.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:07 PM

242 posts, read 317,515 times
I collect die-cast scale emergency & law enforcement vehicles.

Hot Wheels (as long as they have theme and not over exaggerated).
MatchBox
Maisto
Jada
Welly
Tonka Metal Die-Cat Bodies

I buy cutlery trays or desk organizers at thrift stores (cheaper than Walmart or Staples) & then drill them to my wall. They make perfect floating shelves.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:56 PM

652 posts, read 680,892 times
I've been collecting DVD movies (new & old) and I wouldn't be surprised if I have over 100 by now. I'm thinking about saving them to my computer. However, I don't wanna take any chances of my computer failing on me and lose all those movies and everything else. I also like to collect wolf stuff such as pictures, t-shirts etc. I also like to collect tools especially the mechanic type of tools. Anyways, I collect just about anything as long as its something that I like or it looks interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques