Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM

253 posts, read 378,211 times

Advertisements

I was gifted with a stamp collection when I was a little girl. It had belonged to my father's co-worker from the time that he was young. When I moved from my parents' home, I left the collection behind and my mother saved it. She gave it back to me about a year or so ago. I sorted through it because I had some great memories of the WW2 cachet images. I also had a lot of loose stamps from those foreign grab bags that I had purchased at the hobby store.There were a lot of duplicates.

In the end, I kept the cachets and gave everything else to an older retired couple. They sorted through the stamps and kept what they wanted and then turned some young people on to stamp collecting. Somehow, it just seems appropriate. Mr. Sperry (now deceased) inspired me to collect and his stamp collection is still inspiring others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I hope that helps.
Good advice and seems to cover it all.

To the Original Poster, I never knew my grandparents, I would keep anything from them which was portable and would not cause inheritance fights in the family.

From my parents who have passed on, I wanted an old watch from my father which did not work, and a few other trinkets from them.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
the secret is: do you want to keep a wonderful memory of your grandfather or would you rather sell it or donate it? If you think it has value, have it appraised asap: If you want to keep it, please get it insured. The cost of insurance isn't very much and you would hate to have it lost or stolen without insurance to cover the value. What you end up doing with it depends on how you and other members of your family feel.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the secret is: do you want to keep a wonderful memory of your grandfather or would you rather sell it or donate it? If you think it has value, have it appraised asap: If you want to keep it, please get it insured. The cost of insurance isn't very much and you would hate to have it lost or stolen without insurance to cover the value. What you end up doing with it depends on how you and other members of your family feel.

Here is how I approach it. MOST stamp collectors are part pack rats. Seldom does a serious collector have a couple of albums and a shoe box full of stamps. Rather, they have 60 large boxes of assorted materials, much of which is not well organized. Most non-collectors have no idea of what grandpa or uncle has in his collection.

A lot of "collectors" were not collectors but accumulators. That is, they subscribed to a "collectors series" where they paid a ton of money for common stamps mounted in attractive packaging that is worth very little.

I would suggest getting the appraisal. You can find a list of qualified appraisers through the American Philatelic Society's website. If all you have is very common stuff, sell it or donate it.

I would recommend keeping some mementos from the collections. For examples, covers from/to famous people (i.e., a letter sent by General MacArthur from Pacific Operations during WWII. Or perhaps, as many have, portions of the FDR Stamp Collection which have been in circulation for the past 60 years. Ot material that has some personal significance.

I have a friend who collects classic automobiles and has hundreds of them. He has promised each of his children TWO vehicles of their choice from the collection. The grandchildren get ONE vehicle of their choice. All of the cars have been selected and put aside. The rest of the vehicles will be put up for auction.

Just some ideas.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:22 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I'm another one who has inherited a stamp collection, from my father. Stamps were mounted into a book published by the Scott Stamp Co. Almost all have been used (stamped) by the post office. Many have fallen off their mounts and are just unattached, sliding between the pages.

Most of the 'collection' are international stamps, many dating from the 1930's. Some are from the 1940's and 1950's. There is a HUGE variety of countries represented, many countries that no longer even exist! I take it that he arranged with friends of friends of friends to get the stamps sent to him from all over the world.

I have no desire to keep this for sentimental reasons (I am lucky to have many, more personal sentimental objects that belonged to my father). There are no family obligations to consider.

I believe that what I am hearing is that this should be appraised, and I read the post that directed to a place to find an appraiser. Any idea what this might cost? And is it even worth appraising since the vast majority of stamps have been used and carefully removed from envelopes and postcards?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:52 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Here is how I approach it. MOST stamp collectors are part pack rats. Seldom does a serious collector have a couple of albums and a shoe box full of stamps. Rather, they have 60 large boxes of assorted materials, much of which is not well organized. Most non-collectors have no idea of what grandpa or uncle has in his collection.

A lot of "collectors" were not collectors but accumulators. That is, they subscribed to a "collectors series" where they paid a ton of money for common stamps mounted in attractive packaging that is worth very little.

I would suggest getting the appraisal. You can find a list of qualified appraisers through the American Philatelic Society's website. If all you have is very common stuff, sell it or donate it.

I would recommend keeping some mementos from the collections. For examples, covers from/to famous people (i.e., a letter sent by General MacArthur from Pacific Operations during WWII. Or perhaps, as many have, portions of the FDR Stamp Collection which have been in circulation for the past 60 years. Ot material that has some personal significance.

I have a friend who collects classic automobiles and has hundreds of them. He has promised each of his children TWO vehicles of their choice from the collection. The grandchildren get ONE vehicle of their choice. All of the cars have been selected and put aside. The rest of the vehicles will be put up for auction.

Just some ideas.

You are correct about the incredible volume of material. I have bookshelves of albums (stamps are unhinged), and boxes and boxes of stuff in the closet. I've been collecting since I was a kid and when I was making a lot of money working, I was buying about $300 worth of stamps a month. I don't think I'd live long enough to sort it all out. I hate to share in the profits but I think contacting one of the companies to do the appraisal to sell is the wisest. I have a marvelous horse topical stamp collection I would keep.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm another one who has inherited a stamp collection, from my father. Stamps were mounted into a book published by the Scott Stamp Co. Almost all have been used (stamped) by the post office. Many have fallen off their mounts and are just unattached, sliding between the pages.

Most of the 'collection' are international stamps, many dating from the 1930's. Some are from the 1940's and 1950's. There is a HUGE variety of countries represented, many countries that no longer even exist! I take it that he arranged with friends of friends of friends to get the stamps sent to him from all over the world.

I have no desire to keep this for sentimental reasons (I am lucky to have many, more personal sentimental objects that belonged to my father). There are no family obligations to consider.

I believe that what I am hearing is that this should be appraised, and I read the post that directed to a place to find an appraiser. Any idea what this might cost? And is it even worth appraising since the vast majority of stamps have been used and carefully removed from envelopes and postcards?
It sounds as if your father enjoyed stamp collecting for the art, the history, the interest that a small piece of paper with adhesive would allow a letter or postcard to travel around the world.

Unfortunately your description is of stamps with no real monetary value. Your collection is post 1930, foreign, used/canceled, removed from mail, low value denominations, mounted in a book.

Valuable stamps are the result of scarcity and rarity. Very rare for used everyday postage to fall in to that category.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,617 times
Default Why not donate?

A good option to get what the stamps are valued at would be to donate. If you donate you would receive a tax deduction based on the value of the stamps. I would recommend https://www.collectibleswithcauses.org. They are an IRS 501(c)3 certified non profit organization. With your donation they will be able to help others in need of assistance.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
Help! I inherited my grandfather's stamp collection and don't know what to do with it. Does anyone have any advice? I'd really appreciate it!
I came across a box in my basement with an old stamp collection from a long lost relative on my mom's side. I hadn't looked at it years. I took it to my wife's boss, who's a collector. He was not impressed, until he saw the Columbian exposition stamps. He told me those stamps were valuable. Unfortunately, they had been stuck to the stamp album page. And the $5 stamp had a tiny piece missing from one of the corners.

Long story short, he accompanied me to a local stamp show, and took me to a dealer he trusted. After about 30 minutes, and much discussion, the guy offered me $1750 for the lot. And I took it. The relative was long dead before I came along, so the stamps held no sentimental value.

--

Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
It is all in how you creatively organize and market them.

At museum gift-shops, antique shops, and flea-markets. I have seen offered, series of mint stamps dealing with the same topic, mounted professionally on a mat in a small frame, and priced at a substantial amount.

For example, you could frame together, several mint, comemmorative stamps issued during the U.S. Civil War centennial -- or a series of mint stamps dealing with astronauts and satellites -- or Black history -- or the Armed services -- or birds, flowers, or wildlife -- or National Parks -- famous musicians -- or antique automobiles or trains.

Now whether many people actually buy these, at the price offered, I do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques