Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

Anybody have a massive collection? I'm trying to figure out what I might do with mine. Unfortunately I'd say 75% of it is from the early to mid 90's and 80's. I know all about how it's not valued much because of various reason.

Just curious what other people in my shoes decide to do? It's no $ in putting them on Ebay because shipping cost would kill any profit.

I've thought of just trying to organize with rookie cards and star cards and possibly putting the common cards in order by team so that if I know somebody who collects a certain team I can easily give it to them. Or at least use it to trade for cards I want (Dodgers).

I have probably 50 complete sets but I almost wonder if I should just break apart and grab the star cards A lot of sub sets.

Just a huge collection & now that I'm getting older I start to think what am I going to do with it all? I don't want to throw away but eventually it might come to that but I'd at least hope to only throw away the stuff that doesn't value much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,931 times
It's possible you may have some gems from that time period but you would almost certainly have to have them graded and hope for a high grade to make any money. For example, 1993 Derek Jeter Upper Deck SP rookies can sell for obscene amounts in PSA 10. There are a few other cards like that but probably not likely you would have them.

Do you just want to get rid of them regardless of money or do you want to maximize any money you can? Are there any regular consignment auctions in your area? I used to sell some of my cards that way. I'd box them up in big lots of several thousand cards and sometimes people would bid them up high. People can get carried away at auctions sometimes and it can be hard to resist big piles of cards.

If there are no such auctions, probably the best way to dispose of them is to sell the whole kit and caboodle at a garage sale or Craigslist. You won't get that much but you'll at least get something and will get them out of your hair and your house.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
It's possible you may have some gems from that time period but you would almost certainly have to have them graded and hope for a high grade to make any money. For example, 1993 Derek Jeter Upper Deck SP rookies can sell for obscene amounts in PSA 10. There are a few other cards like that but probably not likely you would have them.

Do you just want to get rid of them regardless of money or do you want to maximize any money you can? Are there any regular consignment auctions in your area? I used to sell some of my cards that way. I'd box them up in big lots of several thousand cards and sometimes people would bid them up high. People can get carried away at auctions sometimes and it can be hard to resist big piles of cards.

If there are no such auctions, probably the best way to dispose of them is to sell the whole kit and caboodle at a garage sale or Craigslist. You won't get that much but you'll at least get something and will get them out of your hair and your house.
As a teenager I'd go to local card shows with my dad. From what I remember it was a lot of traffic at these shows. In order to be there you had to pay for a table.
That actually probably is the best method but I don't think they do that anymore. I could easily sell som sets for $5 to $10. I think a lot of people would be willing to pay that amount just to have a set that they might remember collecting but never did or just to get a certain collection of star cards.

I wouldn't say i want to maximize my money. I think I just have that mind set where I don't want be 70 years old with a boat load of cards & ultimately throw away.

Thanks for the reply. just kinda like the feedback about the subject.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:43 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
You already know that interest is low. So far as I'm aware, there's no comforting answer. I see the same CL ads as you do, someone trying to unload five figures of cards for $100, and not getting takers.

If you know someone with a child who loves sports, especially one whose family doesn't have a lot, you might consider giving them away. The child at least could benefit from them, and you wouldn't have the exacerbated frustration of trying to sell them and hearing over and over what you already know about their value. And if the kid finds stars in there, he or she will be pretty jazzed.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
A friend of mine owns a sports shop and he collects baseball cards to sell .... He only wants 60s and earlier though.. He says the newer ones arent worth anything...

Old 06-21-2020, 06:47 PM

1,855 posts, read 796,237 times
Just thought about starting a thread in the business section about this hobby. I used to collect as a kid and now I'm in the business of seeing how much money I can flip from my knowledge of the hobby mixed with my new online e-commerce store. I'm creating packs of 5 & packs of 10 sports for sale on my website (link in profile), plus selling on Facebook and next week I'm listing all my products on Walmart since they hooked up with Shopify to compete with amazon. I only have one pack of 5 online currently but once cases come in the mail, I'll have 2 more packs of 10, one football, one basketball.

Gary Vaynerchuk is the guy who got me started with this, if you are collecting and selling cards in 2020, you know this guy.

I thought I'd start my new collection of cards I'll list individually online. I bought a graded 10 Lebron James rookie, graded 8 derek jeter rookie, graded 8 Alex Rodriguez cards to hold and look at until they sell.

I realized this morning I missed out on 20 years of the hobby the hard way

Cards I knew for a fact had value of at least $5 were now listed as low as a dollar or even freaking less which is crazy because the shipping cost more. All because of the internet, everyone became a seller.

Whats your opinion on the sports cards investing/business stuff in 2020?

I guess my biggest question is, does anyone care anymore!?

Do you think anyone will buy sports cards in 2020? (Besides me & Gary Vaynerchuk).

Looks like I'm excited asf for sports to come back!

Old 06-21-2020, 08:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Saturated market.

Do you realize how much of the stuff the OP described I see in thrifts. ALL OF IT WORTHLESS!!!

I found a mix of baseball, football, and basketball cards one time and the football, and basketball were 1970ish, with the exception of some late 50's cards ( Some Unitas cards). All the baseball cards were 1990ish, and absolutely worthless.

I had to buy the lot to get the good cards, and only paid $20. Still have some of them. I sold a chunk of the lot for $60, and donated all the baseball cards.

(All of the cards were in top loaders)

Old 06-22-2020, 06:56 AM

Wow I forgot about this thread until I was rep'd.

I might as well update since a couple years ago I went through a massive project with my collection.

I knew I had a lot of junk overall. What decided to do is separate what I might want to keep for years & years. These would be the cards that actually have value. i.e. Elway rookie, Marino rookie, 60's & 70's etc..

Then I went through and literally threw away duplicates. I think I had about 10k worth of duplicates.

The cards that were not $ cards/star cards I put into team sets. Between baseball & football a lot of team sets consisted of about 500-1000 cards. Then I had star cards with the team sets. These would be cards not valued much but star players people might be attracted to in a big lot of the team sets. So let's say I had 1000 Yankee cards but in there I had 50 Jeters, 50 Mattingleys, etc. I could make it more appealing to buy as a team set or worst case just give away to somebody that might appreciate it.

I did that for all teams & documented what I have. I probably have about 30 monster boxes full of these teams between football & baseball. But because of the way I organized if I need to throw away more I can at least take out the star cards within each team set to seriously cut back on the amount of cards. I'm doing all of this to think long term on what I might want to do with it.

I also have duplicate star cards that again I might just give away or at least I could package together easier. I figure if I had 100 Clemens, 100 Ryans, 100 Ripkens etc..might be easier to package in a lot together to make a little bit of $.

I went through all my sets & subsets and made sure the count was correct but also the condition was good. Any set/sub set that had any issues with condition I broke apart. I figured chances of selling a set is unlikely but who knows it might happen but the last thing I want to do is sell/give away a set and it's missing cards or damaged cards.

Doing all of this was enjoyable though because my dad & I did it while I was growing up and brought back some good memories. I actually have everything documented on my computer so I could literally tell you how many cards of each player I have. This could help me sell online.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Wow I forgot about this thread until I was rep'd.

I might as well update since a couple years ago I went through a massive project with my collection.

I knew I had a lot of junk overall. What decided to do is separate what I might want to keep for years & years. These would be the cards that actually have value. i.e. Elway rookie, Marino rookie, 60's & 70's etc..

Then I went through and literally threw away duplicates. I think I had about 10k worth of duplicates.

The cards that were not $ cards/star cards I put into team sets. Between baseball & football a lot of team sets consisted of about 500-1000 cards. Then I had star cards with the team sets. These would be cards not valued much but star players people might be attracted to in a big lot of the team sets. So let's say I had 1000 Yankee cards but in there I had 50 Jeters, 50 Mattingleys, etc. I could make it more appealing to buy as a team set or worst case just give away to somebody that might appreciate it.

I did that for all teams & documented what I have. I probably have about 30 monster boxes full of these teams between football & baseball. But because of the way I organized if I need to throw away more I can at least take out the star cards within each team set to seriously cut back on the amount of cards. I'm doing all of this to think long term on what I might want to do with it.

I also have duplicate star cards that again I might just give away or at least I could package together easier. I figure if I had 100 Clemens, 100 Ryans, 100 Ripkens etc..might be easier to package in a lot together to make a little bit of $.

I went through all my sets & subsets and made sure the count was correct but also the condition was good. Any set/sub set that had any issues with condition I broke apart. I figured chances of selling a set is unlikely but who knows it might happen but the last thing I want to do is sell/give away a set and it's missing cards or damaged cards.

Doing all of this was enjoyable though because my dad & I did it while I was growing up and brought back some good memories. I actually have everything documented on my computer so I could literally tell you how many cards of each player I have. This could help me sell online.
The problem is after their desirable rookie cards most of their stuff is almost worthless. Even pre 75' Ryan's in clean condition are tough flips at competitive prices........

Best of luck.

This is the problem with this stuff.

I can get records for 50 cents and flip them even if they aren't worth much.

This stuff?

Old 06-24-2020, 08:44 AM

1,855 posts, read 796,237 times
Screw cases came in the mail

I agree there isn't a market for mass produced 90's cards but I do think there is for any graded basketball and football too. Graded or good cards that arn't graded to buy to grade as an investment. Which I am hoping people do with my cards. Baseball cards are the OG of card collecting but people don't like them as much as basketball. In my opinion.

I have the first 5 pack of pre-graded cards available for grading as in a investment. Its only $45 and on my website. Doing Basketball and football 5 packs this week once I get the cases and cards together in the same location.

Example below: selling 5 good ones for only $45

card info:
Quote:
2001 Upper Deck MVP Ichiro Suzuki Rookie Card #60

1987 Topps Barry Bonds Rookie Card #320

2001 Fleer Platinum Grandstand Greats Sammy Sosa #10 of 20

1985 Fleer Kirby Puckett Rookie Card #286

2000 Topps Opening Day Josh Hamilton Rookie Card #ODA4 Autographed

I have 6 1000 card cases full but all worth nothing. If cards worth 5 bucks back in 1998 are now a dollar or less on ebay, then even the worthless cards back then are even further worthless now.

I have 6 graded cards in the mail and I'm going to list on my website individually, and the non-graded cards at 5 for $45.

Bought two gem mint 10 Kobe Bryants, plus a gem mint 10 Trae Young rookie. Sending some other cards away to PSA soon. I learned the process. I'm sending two Kobe Bryants away plus a Jerry Rice rookie.

If you YouTube "Sports cards 2020 investing" new videos pop up.

Last edited by Shhon; 06-24-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques