Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times

Advertisements

A lot of it has to do with the iconic nature of the American Buffalo. It's also one of those rare standard issue coins were both sides represent so much. Truly a great coin. Then Jefferson nicks. Dead presidents.

Although I don't think it's as attractive as the Buffalo Nickel, the Indian Head Penny is one of the most collected coins out there. Easily as Iconic, and recognizable as the Buffalo nickel.

Sorry to get off topic, but outside of rarity, and somebody that has more money than they know what to do with the coin mentioned in this thread does nothing for me.

American symbolism of the late teens, 20's, and 30's. Best US coinage ever made!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:41 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
That 1894-S was so coveted that when the original Whitman folders were produced for the Barbers in the 1950s, the hole was covered up with a special piece of cardboard with the word "RARE" on it, assuming that the average or even above average person won't be able to acquire one. If you can't afford that, there's always the 1916-D Winged Liberty (once again, few call it that and most call it "Mercury") that you can get for four figures in a decent circulated condition with just light to moderate wear (and around $300 for those worn to the rim), and it has proven to be a good investment in better grades, although it is 10,000 times more common than that elusive Barber, so it's not hard to attain, though lately, condition has become a lot more important than rarity, except for some of the early series like the Seated and Busts.

Remember the Dennis the Menace episode where Dennis gets caught onto a bank truck while he looks through pennies? As it turns out, he helps his buddy find a 1914-D Wheatie!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
That 1894-S was so coveted that when the original Whitman folders were produced for the Barbers in the 1950s, the hole was covered up with a special piece of cardboard with the word "RARE" on it, assuming that the average or even above average person won't be able to acquire one. If you can't afford that, there's always the 1916-D Winged Liberty (once again, few call it that and most call it "Mercury") that you can get for four figures in a decent circulated condition with just light to moderate wear (and around $300 for those worn to the rim), and it has proven to be a good investment in better grades, although it is 10,000 times more common than that elusive Barber, so it's not hard to attain, though lately, condition has become a lot more important than rarity, except for some of the early series like the Seated and Busts.

Remember the Dennis the Menace episode where Dennis gets caught onto a bank truck while he looks through pennies? As it turns out, he helps his buddy find a 1914-D Wheatie!
I remember talking with a Gentleman in Brewers Art in Baltimore in about 2003 who said he went to the bank in the 50's when he was a kid to get a roll of dimes for his mother and actually acquired the 16 D Merc and still had it up to the time of our conversation.
Around the same year a guy purchased a low grade one at a show for just under two, and was ecstatic.

I have little interest in this stuff other than to flip it. Bikes, Records, Art, and everything else. I do dig those Hot Wheels I found a couple weeks ago.

Everything is for sale, including me......

Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
I think our OLDER money was a real bunch of genuine ART by talented artists, the crap produced today on computer for coins and paper money looks like garbage, Jackson on the $20 looks like he has AIDS, the portrait is UGLY, the portraits on the coins look very amateurish.
Attached Thumbnails
"Buddy, can you spare a dime?"-5.jpg   "Buddy, can you spare a dime?"-4.jpg  

Old 08-29-2019, 07:56 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
$5 silver certificate

I also like a number of the older Irish coins that all featured various animals on them- Hunter horse, hare, salmon, chicken and chicks, bull, sow and piglets, Irish wolfhound dog.
The 3 pence coin with the hare is about the size of a US dime while the half crown with the horse is about the size of a Kennedy half dollar, the chicken on the one pence coin is almost as large and that was basically a penny from the 1930s!
The sow is on the half pence coin.
The horse also appeared on the 20 pence coin which like the US Sacaga.. whatever... coin is bright gold in color and is about the size of a US quarter- pictured with the obverse design common to all of these coins, the Irish harp, Eire and year
Attached Thumbnails
"Buddy, can you spare a dime?"-screen-shot-67.jpg   "Buddy, can you spare a dime?"-screen-shot-6.jpg   "Buddy, can you spare a dime?"-irish-coins.jpg  

Last edited by Sculptor; 08-29-2019 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 11:17 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I'm waiting for a coin with Chester Arthur on the obverse.

But my favorite U.S. coin is the Indian Head nickel.
I like the Indian head/ buffalo nickel myself.

I also like the Indian Head gold coins...

https://www.providentmetals.com/know...old-coins.html

Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I like the Indian head/ buffalo nickel myself.

I also like the Indian Head gold coins...

https://www.providentmetals.com/know...old-coins.html
The $2.5 Gold Indian Heads are the coins the kid was trading for those proof sets I mentioned earlier in the thread. I forgot, I thought they were $2.

I anybody has anything unusual to trade for a few nice buffs you can PM me. I am located in Baltimore County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques