Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The question with Boise State is how many other undefeated teams are there going to be this coming year as well? I am guessing they got a better shot this year since there might not be any other undefeated teams and they are starting high. I do think if they do this in 2011 it would be a better shot due to being in the MWC by then. This won't be an issue in three to four years once the MWC gets an auto-bid. (They will likely get one at this point even if they fall short due to politics or the next round of realignment ends the Big East and/or Big XII) The key with the MWC right now is to see the middle of the conference get better since depth is the one thing that might be lacking. (Although some current BCS conferences might not be much better)

In terms of who wins each conference, I just have the gut feeling that we will have more suprises this year than the average year. Who does anyone think are the possible overrated and underrated teams this coming year?

A big wild card after this season: The Big Ten might not be done with expansion and could add teams as per their origional 12-18 month schedule. If they add teams it will be 2 or 4 with 3 a possibility due to Notre Dame (my guess is if they do after this year it will be two more). If it is four then everything starts rolling in place but maybe not with two depending on who it is or if it sinks a conference. We also now know after last month what guidelines they have in inviting more teams, especially any who didn't change.
There is no chance the MWC gets an auto-bid anytime soon. Orrin Hatch was the big champion in D.C for it. He's the senator from Utah. The Utes would never have got the blessing to leave if they were getting a bid.

And Boise, or any other "mid-major" is never going to be allowed in the BCS title game. Never. What if they win? I'm not saying they don't deserve it, I'm saying the people that run college football will never allow it.

The Big 6 Conferences would just leave the NCAA and set up their own post season bowls or tournament before they allow these schools in.

That's just they way I see it.

I suspect the Big Ten is trying to get Maryland and Virginia. Notre Dame probably has an open invitation.

People call me crazy but I think the Big Ten might try and get Toronto. The more I look at that school the more they seem to be a perfect fit. Plus, they add 26 million Canadians to the Big Ten Network. No one else can do that except Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There is no chance the MWC gets an auto-bid anytime soon. Orrin Hatch was the big champion in D.C for it. He's the senator from Utah. The Utes would never have got the blessing to leave if they were getting a bid.

And Boise, or any other "mid-major" is never going to be allowed in the BCS title game. Never. What if they win? I'm not saying they don't deserve it, I'm saying the people that run college football will never allow it.

The Big 6 Conferences would just leave the NCAA and set up their own post season bowls or tournament before they allow these schools in.

I suspect the Big Ten is trying to get Maryland and Virginia. Notre Dame probably has an open invitation.

People call me crazy but I think the Big Ten might try and get Toronto. The more I look at that school the more they seem to be a perfect fit. Plus, they add 26 million Canadians to the Big Ten Network. No one else can do that except Texas.
The question of setting it up to block mid-majors from getting a shot at the title game when they deserve it will raise too many red flags from politicians. Also it will bring in the anti-trust lawsuits and a question of tax-exempt status for college athletics. I am just thinking they would give an auto-bid to the Mountain West if they fall just short of qualifying for one to prevent or at least delay any possible political issues. Also I got a feeling it might tie in with a potential ploy by Jerry Jones to add the Cotton Bowl as another BCS game opening up two more teams to go to BCS bowls. Orrin Hatch might still have an axe to grind due to BYU which is more infuental in his state.

I do think you are right on the idea that Virginia is on the Big Ten radar more than most people would think. The big question is how strong their ties to the NC schools are and would they break them? Also with trying to get Notre Dame, wouldn't they try getting the Big East teams they are intrested in first to get them to join due to there being their home for all non-football sports?

As for this years conference champs, I just see several of the major conferences having a possible suprise one that isn't a favorite. I just have a feeling this year is going to have some real suprises where someone might come out of nowhere and make a real serious run at it and someone thought to be a contender just falls flat. Not likely to end up like last year with so many undefeated teams.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,413,587 times
Quote:

What in the world do you base that off of? They are a different world away from what the BigTen looks for. I can see the Big 10 targeting ND, of course...but then Syracuse and Pitt. If anything I can see Virginia and the ACC targeting WV and Louisiville..

The only thing I don't know, is if basketball is enough to keep the Big East together....or if they will allow special circumstances to their football programs, like they do ND, already.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
The question of setting it up to block mid-majors from getting a shot at the title game when they deserve it will raise too many red flags from politicians. Also it will bring in the anti-trust lawsuits and a question of tax-exempt status for college athletics. I am just thinking they would give an auto-bid to the Mountain West if they fall just short of qualifying for one to prevent or at least delay any possible political issues. Also I got a feeling it might tie in with a potential ploy by Jerry Jones to add the Cotton Bowl as another BCS game opening up two more teams to go to BCS bowls. Orrin Hatch might still have an axe to grind due to BYU which is more infuental in his state.

I do think you are right on the idea that Virginia is on the Big Ten radar more than most people would think. The big question is how strong their ties to the NC schools are and would they break them? Also with trying to get Notre Dame, wouldn't they try getting the Big East teams they are intrested in first to get them to join due to there being their home for all non-football sports?

As for this years conference champs, I just see several of the major conferences having a possible suprise one that isn't a favorite. I just have a feeling this year is going to have some real suprises where someone might come out of nowhere and make a real serious run at it and someone thought to be a contender just falls flat. Not likely to end up like last year with so many undefeated teams.
Seriously we should impeach any politician worrying about this. The US is too much of a mess for them to ruin the FBS, too.

I want a playoff, but it might be impossible. Just let the big conferences get bigger. TCU to the BigXII, and BSU (eventually, hard hard sell) to the Pac12 would be a start.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
What in the world do you base that off of? They are a different world away from what the BigTen looks for. I can see the Big 10 targeting ND, of course...but then Syracuse and Pitt. If anything I can see Virginia and the ACC targeting WV and Louisiville..

The only thing I don't know, is if basketball is enough to keep the Big East together....or if they will allow special circumstances to their football programs, like they do ND, already.
Maryland and Virginia are both state flagships. Great schools academically. Competitive in most all sports. Are in growing poulation areas. Bring in new markets like D.C. and Baltimore. Spend big money on research. Add 4 U.S. Senators to the Big Ten footprint. Add 2 schools in the east to keep PSU happy. They are perfect fits.

If the Big Ten wanted Syracuse or Pitt they would've invited them by now. They ran all the numbers. They know what those schools add. They know those schools would accept in a heartbeat. The only Big East team that makes sense for the Big Ten is Rutgers.

I think the Big Ten is talking to Maryland especially and possibly Virginia. It's just gonna take some time to convince them. They both have strong ties to the ACC. And the ACC is a good conference to be in. But Nebraska has strong ties to the Big 12 North. So it can be done.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:

I see what you are saying. I'd like to see the Cotton get BCS status.

As far as gettting Big East teams to get ND, I don't see it. The Big Ten is in a position where they don't need to take schools they don't want. (Not saying they are bad schools they just don't work for the BT).

50 years from now we don't want the President of Indiana telling to President of Syracuse to "sit and and shut up. The only reason your sorry-arse is here is beasue we wanted the Domers." LOLs.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

That will be a hard sell to break ACC schools away...unless there are football only conferences.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,611 times
Quote:
I see what you are saying. I'd like to see the Cotton get BCS status.

As far as gettting Big East teams to get ND, I don't see it. The Big Ten is in a position where they don't need to take schools they don't want. (Not saying they are bad schools they just don't work for the BT).

50 years from now we don't want the President of Indiana telling to President of Syracuse to "sit and and shut up. The only reason your sorry-arse is here is beasue we wanted the Domers." LOLs.
I just see the idea of the Cotton to BCS with Mountain West getting an auto-bid combination as something that might happen when its up for negotiations again. It would be a win-win for multiple parties: it silences the BCS critics for a while, if formalizes the fact that a Mountain West team gets in practically every year anyway, gets a BCS game in Texas, lets Jerry Jones have another big event in his house, and opens one more at-large bid for the current BCS conferences so as to not lose one by adding one more AQ conference.

You are right that it would be better for the schools to join on their own feet and not as a ploy to get the Irish. I am thinking they got Nebraska now to see if its enough to break up the Big XII, to get the championship game, and to get divisions set up. (in terms of Big Ten network deals with cable companies, they won't directly get more money due to the small population, but the brand might allow them to get a few more cents from both inside and outside their footprint) I do think the idea that the Big Ten might look for more in the future also gives schools a chance to improve their profile and to be put on notice. (unless it happnes within a year)

On the Big Ten not going after Pitt, the big strike against them is that they are in a state with a Big Ten team already in it. I do see them however go to the ACC if the Big East falls apart or if they need to replace teams. (My guess is that the ACC is more likely to lose teams to the Big Ten than SEC since the latter did give away its hand on who they would invite first and they said it isn't ACC teams especially the 4 southernmost ones everyone thinks they would invite)

It is also possible for the Big Ten to wait and see how BCS negotiations wind up, especially if the special rules for Notre Dame still continue. If they don't then the Irish will be looking for a home which will almost certainly be the Big Ten. (though I can't rule out ACC if they contacted them due to in that case they would not be thought of as just another Midwestern university if they go there)

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,616,481 times
Quote:
The Boise St Donkeys won't be let in even if they are undefeated. It aint gonna happen.
I guarantee if they are 1 of only 2 undefeated teams (or the only undefeated team) in the end they will play for the BCS MNC.

They are starting the year in the top 5.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,459,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I guarantee if they are 1 of only 2 undefeated teams (or the only undefeated team) in the end they will play for the BCS MNC.

They are starting the year in the top 5.
Very good chance they'll go unbeaten as well, really only 3 games should be competitive, Oregon State, V Tech and Nevada, perhaps Fresno State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football