Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

I went into this game thinking that OSU deserved to be in the BCS title game perhaps more than Bama did. But not anymore. There's no question after tonight's game, and there's no question after watching the bowl games so far that LSU and Alabama are the right teams in the BCS title game.

OSU's defense is just not as good as I thought it was. I thought they'd get pressure on Luck and I thought they'd stuff the run, but they couldn't stop Stanford. And they were luck - very lucky - to win that game tonight. Stanford just choked - plain and simple.

Most people agree that LSU deserved the #1 spot and are focusing most of their attention on Bama. Believe me when I say that as an LSU fan it puts me in a mighty uncomfortable position to defend Alabama football. But there's not a doubt in my mind that Alabama would beat OSU or Stanford. THe Cardinal would have been beaten up on the front lines. ALabama's defensive front is the best in the nation -even better than LSU's. They are dominant. They would have stuffed Stanford's running game right from the start, and would have put pressure on Luck to throw it. I could see Luck maybe getting off some big plays early, but the Bama defense would quickly adjust and would batter and wear down the Stanford line by the 3rd quarter. They and LSU have done that with just about every team they've played this year.

And as for OSU? Well let me just say that if I saw that game and saw that Stanford, a team that couldn't tackle all year long, found ways to make open field tackles and put pressure on OSU's passing game until late. They did get tired late - will give them that. But considering how easily Stanford ran all over OSU...there is no way, absolutely no way OSU would be able to stop LSU or Alabama. OSU would stop Trent Richardson? Pfffff bwahahahaha!!!! OSU would stop the three/four headed running attack of LSU?? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

I know that the rest of the country doesn't want to hear it, but the truth is the truth: LSU and Alabama are the best. And the Southeastern Conference is the best. Deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Bama sucks.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I went into this game thinking that OSU deserved to be in the BCS title game perhaps more than Bama did. But not anymore. There's no question after tonight's game, and there's no question after watching the bowl games so far that LSU and Alabama are the right teams in the BCS title game.

OSU's defense is just not as good as I thought it was. I thought they'd get pressure on Luck and I thought they'd stuff the run, but they couldn't stop Stanford. And they were luck - very lucky - to win that game tonight. Stanford just choked - plain and simple.

Most people agree that LSU deserved the #1 spot and are focusing most of their attention on Bama. Believe me when I say that as an LSU fan it puts me in a mighty uncomfortable position to defend Alabama football. But there's not a doubt in my mind that Alabama would beat OSU or Stanford. THe Cardinal would have been beaten up on the front lines. ALabama's defensive front is the best in the nation -even better than LSU's. They are dominant. They would have stuffed Stanford's running game right from the start, and would have put pressure on Luck to throw it. I could see Luck maybe getting off some big plays early, but the Bama defense would quickly adjust and would batter and wear down the Stanford line by the 3rd quarter. They and LSU have done that with just about every team they've played this year.

And as for OSU? Well let me just say that if I saw that game and saw that Stanford, a team that couldn't tackle all year long, found ways to make open field tackles and put pressure on OSU's passing game until late. They did get tired late - will give them that. But considering how easily Stanford ran all over OSU...there is no way, absolutely no way OSU would be able to stop LSU or Alabama. OSU would stop Trent Richardson? Pfffff bwahahahaha!!!! OSU would stop the three/four headed running attack of LSU?? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

I know that the rest of the country doesn't want to hear it, but the truth is the truth: LSU and Alabama are the best. And the Southeastern Conference is the best. Deal.
Alabama doesn't have a good defense... the SEC just has crappy offenses.

You really think the defense of the SEC is that much better than that of the Pac-12? Get real.

Alabama really doesn't deserve to be there-- the whole nation knows it.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:

Last I heard, the Big 12 was leading the country in bowl game wins...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Spoiler

Every game is different, unto itself. Maybe Stanford would have played differently against Alabama. Maybe OSU would have played differently against LSU. Not even maybe... of course they would have.

So LSU and Alabama may be the best in the country... so what? They'll not get the opportunity to prove it. I've already seen them play the most boring game of the year... not gonna waste that time again.

'Are you ready for some Bball ? ? ? ? '

Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Alabama doesn't have a good defense... the SEC just has crappy offenses.
I agree that with the exception of Arkansas and Georgia, the SEC schools are in a down cycle in terms of passing. But they're still good at pounding the ball up the middle, which is something Stanford was able to do all night long against an OSU team that was supposedly one of the few teams that could boast a defense that might match that of the SEC's elite teams - a myth that can now be put to rest.

Quote:
You really think the defense of the SEC is that much better than that of the Pac-12? Get real.
Let's see. OSU needed two missed chip shots by a normally reliable place kicker to get past Stanford. Now, let's see...Stanford got beat by Oregon -- 52 to 30!!! And let's see, which team was it that curb stomped Oregon - with four of its starters missing??? Oh yeah, that's right, LSU.

Alabama was the only team this year that had a single-digit loss. In fact they're the only team that was able to keep the spread within 13 points (it would have been 20 points had LSU not allowed Oregon to score a meaningless TD with 20 seconds left in the game). It took another elite SEC team to challenge LSU.

Quote:
Alabama really doesn't deserve to be there-- the whole nation knows it.
I know it's tough to accept it, but Alabama most certainly does deserve to be there. After last night, the debate is settled.

Don't get me wrong: I'm impressed by OSU and Stanford offensively. Both teams have better passing games than either LSU or Bama - I'm not contesting that. But overall, when you stack those teams up against each other, there's less uncertainty now about which teams would win and lose. The rest of the country simply hasn't seen the kind of line strength that Alabama and LSU have. Stanford might be able to hang for a while, and its passing game might keep teams on their toes for the first half, but eventually, the Bama and LSU lines would wear them out. And if you lose in the trenches, you lose the game.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Every game is different, unto itself. Maybe Stanford would have played differently against Alabama. Maybe OSU would have played differently against LSU. Not even maybe... of course they would have.
They would have played differently, but it wouldn't matter. OSU did not make the case last night that it deserved to play LSU more than Alabama does. They had their chance. I went into that game looking for OSU to make a statement. I actually expected them to. They just didn't. That was a win they're very fortunate to have, and they know it. There's no way anyone can credibly still say that OSU's a dominant team after watching that game last night. A good team, yes, but a dominant, BCS-title worthy team, no. The only thing that keeps the debate going is SEC hate. And to that I say, sorry, you all shoulda accepted the plus-one bid when the SEC proposed a few years ago.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
The BCS selection is a joke.

Playoff. End of story.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
They would have played differently, but it wouldn't matter. OSU did not make the case last night that it deserved to play LSU more than Alabama does. They had their chance. I went into that game looking for OSU to make a statement. I actually expected them to. They just didn't. That was a win they're very fortunate to have, and they know it. There's no way anyone can credibly still say that OSU's a dominant team after watching that game last night. A good team, yes, but a dominant, BCS-title worthy team, no. The only thing that keeps the debate going is SEC hate. And to that I say, sorry, you all shoulda accepted the plus-one bid when the SEC proposed a few years ago.
They didn't show us their grades to prove they were eligible to play either. So what?

You're looking for something that doesn't exist, other than in your own mind. That was sacrificed with the 'championship' game. That's all you get. You have to settle for LSU/Alabama at it yet once again. It couldn't possibly prove anything other than the influence of the SEC gathering attention unto itself. So what if it's powerful? So they can beat the crap out of one another. So what?

NOT a national phenomena.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:

PLAYOFFS, PLEASE!!!!

Seriously getting sick of this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football