Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 AM

523 posts, read 495,781 times

Advertisements

there are two teams in FBS that should change their nicknames due to the confederate flag issue. here it goes

Mississippi has the nickname Rebels, heres are the list of possible new nicknames

Blue Tide
Stallions
Dream
Blue Cats
Blue Wings
Dragons

UNLV has the nickname Rebels too, and Nevada isnt in the deep south. here are the list of possible new nicknames

Scorpions
Lizards
SandStorm
Cobras
Rattlers
Iguanas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM

8,989 posts, read 17,335,746 times
The UNLV "rebel" moniker has more to do with "rebelling in jest" against Reno.

UNLV Rebel - Mascots, Old and New

Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 PM

4,881 posts, read 6,961,395 times
And the PC police might just have the Rebel mascot on their upcoming agenda. Everyone is so offended by everything now.

Dear God, what I've heard (yea, here-say) is that only 17% of Native Americans nationally find the name Washington Redskins offensive. So once again, a small minority make all the waves. Of course Obama's getting in the act trying to get in the way of a new stadium being built in Washington, DC. He loves to stick his nose into local issues to try to divert attention from everything else that really is important that he's screwing up.

The U. of North Dakota Fighting Sioux were forced by the NCAA to drop their logo, mascot and anything related to it because one of the state's reservation's leaders said it offended them. Mind you, not the residents of that particular reservation, but their representatives. The other reservations in North Dakota were fine with the college keeping the Fighting Sioux.

I think UND recently decided to not have any mascot at all. When this decision was made I could here liberals cheering all over the country for their "victory".

Florida State got to keep the Seminoles moniker only after padding the pockets of those on the reservation. Money suddenly makes it all right.

Pretty soon towns across the country will have to start changing their name because some unknown corporal for the confederate army had the same last name.

I think DGarcia879, that you were merely making some amusing changes should this happen to the Rebel mascot name and some of them are pretty good. Unfortunately, your crystal ball on this possibility of happening may be all to real.

Incidentally, I do like the UNLV Sandstorm. Fits pretty good

Old 07-08-2015, 08:46 PM

8,808 posts, read 10,268,375 times
Dream? Like the WNBA team? Yeah I think that is going to be a no.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:05 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,626,515 times
I personally don't find anything offensive with either Mississippi or UNLV Rebels. At all. It's pretty cool, actually.

However, since we're in PC mode... I think the name Arizona WILDcats is a bit offensive. Too much violence seems to be attached to WILD. I propose it be changed to mildcats, without a capital m. meow.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:38 AM

4,881 posts, read 6,961,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I personally don't find anything offensive with either Mississippi or UNLV Rebels. At all. It's pretty cool, actually.

However, since we're in PC mode... I think the name Arizona WILDcats is a bit offensive. Too much violence seems to be attached to WILD. I propose it be changed to mildcats, without a capital m. meow.
I think we're on to something here. USC Trojans NO MORE. These violent, bloodthirsty Trojans annihilated the Greeks in biblical days. KEEPING THIS NAME CANNOT BE TOLERATED.

The game between Oregon State and USC should be forever cancelled. For shame, we all know what happens when Trojans take on the Beavers.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:52 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Well, when is PETA going to start bugging Texas about our Longhorn mascot Bevo? Or any school that has a critter for a mascot?

My gawd - look at the West Virginia Mountaineers! That guy carries a firearm!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 PM

523 posts, read 495,781 times
maybe im wrong about the nickname, but the logo has to change, cause it resembles a old kooky confederate soldier

Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 AM

I was making a joke about the Mountaineer.

That dude is pretty cool, IMO.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
maybe im wrong about the nickname, but the logo has to change, cause it resembles a old kooky confederate soldier
????

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football