Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 06:17 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Is it fathomable he's looking at an NFL vacancy?
Doubtful. His foray in the NFL was a failure. Why go in that swamp again? His place is secure on the Mt. Rushmore of coaching. No point in tarnishing that legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 06:41 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Dabo's job for the taking, if he wants it, going back to his alma mater!
Coming off a 4 loss season? I doubt Alabama fans would want him.

The Bama HC job has to be one of the worst as far as pressure and expectations go. Just look at Ryan Day right now. He goes 11-1 during the regular season yet there's still chatter about his ouster among the fanbase. And Urban Meyer only won 1 title there. Saban has won 6 at Alabama so imagine how much higher the expectations for a new HC will be. Bama fans want someone who can jump in and win championships right away but I doubt any of the marquee coaches (Riley, Dabo, etc.) would want to deal with those insane expectations.

All programs go through the wilderness at some point. Butch Davis left Miami and they haven't been the same since. Bobby Bowden got old and FSU became irrelevant during the early 00s. Urban left Florida and what have they done since? Osborne left Nebraska and his successor enjoyed some success until he couldn't reproduce Osborne's success on the recruiting trail. Bobby Ross won a title at Georgia Tech and left and their program has been mediocre ever since. And as we know, Michigan went through a couple of coaches with middling results until they were able to lure Harbaugh, who didn't have the most stellar results himself his first few seasons. Auburn has obviously fallen apart. The only major program that has been relatively stable is Ohio State.

It's really hard to just insert a coach into the place of a living legend and get right back to competing for championships...no matter the money or pedigree. Just ask Texas and USC how hard it is.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:48 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Rumor is Dan Lanning of Oregon is in line for that Bama gig. I think he's doing well with that Nike money and recruiting in Eugene. I don't see him leaving but you never know.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:53 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Saban said he'd retire when Miss Terri told him to. I think she told him it's time because she wanted the job.
Another Saban at 'Bama!

Old 01-11-2024, 07:46 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
This will send a ripple effect through college football that will cause a lot of coaches to get significant raises.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:58 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,228,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I can see Saban replacing Lee Corso on ESPN College Gameday, since Lee is 88-years-old now and 16 years older than Nick.
That might be a good fit.

Lee has had a great run on College Gameday, but man, this year he was looking old, was slurring his words and some lengthy pauses in replying.

He should go out in style.

Much respect to Saban - he created a dynasty at Alabama. He should stop doing those annoying Aflack commercials with Dion and enjoy some off time. Maybe come back for ESPN - assuming he'll be able to talk over/tolerate Pat McAffee.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:07 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Is it fathomable he's looking at an NFL vacancy?

No way. He & Ms Terry just bought a house in Jupiter FL. He's retiring. And I wish him all the best. He had a great run.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:10 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
assuming he'll be able to talk over/tolerate Pat McAffee

From what I hear, McAfee is on his way out. He has not been asked back for the 2024 season due to fan criticism.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:18 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Haha. A&M is paying Jimbo $75 mil not to coach. Dabo's buyout if he goes to Bama is $9 mil. Chump change.

In a year when Clemson "fans" decided to bash the coach, might have been bad timing.

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/f...buyout-clauses

If Swinney leaves Clemson for Alabama after the 2022 season, he would owe Clemson $9 million. In 2023 and 2024, it drops to $7.5 million, $6 million in 2025, $4.5 million in 2026 and 2027, $3 million in 2028 and 2029 and $1.5 million in 2030.
Ok.. At the time he signed it two/three years ago, it was a massive buyout number.

And.. Bringing up Texas A&M.. Look.. They're about as dumb as the Raiders who will be paying two coaches for the next 5 years or so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
From what I hear, McAfee is on his way out. He has not been asked back for the 2024 season due to fan criticism.
I enjoy McAfee's show, but not so much him on gameday.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:06 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
If I were Bama, I'd go with Coach Prime.

I know the people who have never played football in their life will say "But he sucks, he went 4-8 lololololol." But it's abundantly clear they won those 4 games as opposed to the 1 game they won the year before in large part due to the talent he brought in. He simply didn't have enough talent in all the positions that mattered to make the Buffs more competitive.

At Alabama, Prime would be walking into a 5-star roster already, and would easily be able to keep up with Saban's success on the recruiting trail. If he can get 5-star players to come to Jackson State, and then convince those players to follow him to Colorado, why wouldn't he be able to leverage the Alabama brand to steal recruits away from Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Marcus Freeman, etc? Add to this the fact that he would be able to hire the best assistant coordinators and analysts money can buy.

But the biggest asset Prime has is moxie. To come behind Saban and his 6 titles, his successor will need a whole lot of it. To be a star defensive back in the NFL, and to be willing to be left alone on an island against some of the greatest receivers of all time and risk public humiliation, requires an entirely different level of moxie. If there's anyone capable of holding up to the pressure of crazy expectations, it's Prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football