Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times

Advertisements

With College football season starting this month, I'd like to see what college stadiums you all have attended, what you thought of them, and which ones you would like to attend. I'll start:
Ive been to:
Carter-Finley Stadium-NC State; Stadium finished a 6 year renovation project that included closing in the end zones, a new scorboard, a student-athlete facility center, new seats, and a new press box. Nice place, but I do miss the grassy area behind the end zones.

BB&T Field-Wake Forest- similar to Carter-Finley before carter-finleys renovations, but smaller.

Wallace Wade Stadium-Duke- Not very impressive, but then Duke isnt known for Football. It is historic though, the 1942 Rose bowl was played here. Possible expanding in the works.

Kenan Stadium-UNC- Dont remember this one very well, I was I think 6 at the time, all I remember was seeing blue all around.

Richardson Stadium-Davidson College- Nice setting but very small stadium, even for Division 1-AA

Ones I'd like to attend:
Memorial Stadium- Clemson
Williams-Brice Stadium- South Carolina
Memorial Stadium- Texas
Kyle Field- Texas A&M
Buckeye Stadium-Ohio State
The Big House- Michigan
Notre Dame Stadium

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 09-11-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,434 times
The Horseshoe - Columbus, Ohio ...nothing like it anywhere. Sea of Scarlet and Grey. Tailgating for MILES surrounding. Beautiful old architecture.

The Big House - Ann Arbor, Michigan ...not as much character as the Shoe, but still an amazing experience...+ we beat the Wolves in their own house. Good Times.

Doyt Perry Field - Bowling Green, Ohio ...nice little stadium. Fans are into it. MAC football is a blast to watch. Falcons have beautiful uniforms.

Glass Bowl - Toledo, Ohio ...typical 70's era concrete bowl. Kinda bland.

Doug

Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
(TCU) Amon G. Carter Stadium here in Fort Worth,TX- Old school stadium in a good setting on TCU's campus. Been a while since I've been there, but it's a nice stadium for it's size.

(Texas) DKR Memorial Stadium in Austin, TX - Huge. A good fit for Downtown Austin. I can't wait to see it with all the upgrades finnished.

(PVAMU) Blackshear Stadium in Prairie View, TX - DON'T go there. It's a joke.

There are several college stadiums I haven't been to, but want to visit. I've seen Kyle Field a million times, but neve really stopped there.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Memorial Stadium (Death Valley) - Clemson - I'm a Clemson fan, so this is biased, but it is a fantastic stadium. It is a valley and sits on a lake. The hill at one end where the team enters gives a unique experience.

Williams Brice - South Carolina - I like the stadium. It's a little further away from the school than I like, but the stadium is very impressive and is never an easy place to play.

Doak - FSU I like the stadium once you're inside. It doesn't look very impressive upon arrival. A good place to see a game.

Sanford Stadium - UGA I really like seeing a game "between the hedges."I've been to several here and really enjoyed every one.

Kenan Stadium - UNC Pretty setting among the trees. Nice college atmosphere.

Groves Stadium - Wake Forest - A long time ago, but I remember it being a nice place and a good afternoon. It's not particularly intimidating, but it is nice.

LA Coliseum - USC It's tough to beat the tradition and pageantry of the coliseum. If you don't have a parking space inside the gates, you take your life in your hands before and after the game. It was a great experience other than the parking scenario.

I've been inside the Big House and Neyland Stadium, but not during a game.

I would love to go to Notre Dame and hope to see a game at LSU soon.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
I've been to the following:

Ohio Stadium (horseshoe): I never missed a game in my 5 seasons as a student (I went 1 extra quarter just so I could get student season tix one more year, and witness Coach Tressel's first season), plus have gone to games there from the age of 6 (my first game the Buckeyes upset #1 Iowa 22-13, when Iowa was lead by Chuck Long): I love the Shoe, 104,000+ rabid Buckeye fans clad in Scarlet & Gray, and great tailgating for miles. Usually another 50,000 fans just outside the stadium tailgating all game long, w/ big screens out everywhere. I'm biased but it's the best atmosphere out there.

Beaver Stadium: PSU: Loud, & intimidating w/ the Whiteout, but very unkind to visitors, it's the only place i've been pelted w/ beer bottles whilst wearing my school colors w/ pride.

Michigan Stadium: UM: very quiet and very unintimidating, for 110,000+ people. Very much a wine and cheese crowd.

Ross Ade Stadium: Pur: not much to it, attended the OSU game in 2002, & there were as many Buckeye fans as Pur fans it seemed like. Hard to get into and out of.

Camp Randall Stadium: Wis: First off, Madison is a great town, awesome atmosphere, closest Big Ten atmosphere to OSU on gameday. Stadium is nice, but not very big, only seats 80,000.

Ryan Field: NW: Northwestern has a nice setting in the northern Chi suburb of Evanston, right on the lake. When OSU plays there, fans are usually split close to 50/50. No midwest city comes close to Chicago in terms of stuff to do, so tailgating isn't the best but the windy city has plenty of great options to have fun pre and post game.

Memorial Field: IU: Bloomington is a great college town, the stadium isn't much at al though.

Memorial Stadium: Illinois: In the middle of a cow pasture it seems, stadium was old and worn down, not very intimidating either, of course Illinois was no good then. Tailgating was nothing special.

Notre Dame Stadium: Of course the tradition there is 2nd to none, the fans were generally great to visiting fans, the stadium only sat 60,000 when I went there to the OSU game in 1996, but it was still great. Tailgating seemed a little lackluster, b/c it was much more subdued than the rock and roll party atmosphere of OSU and some other places.

Mountaineer Field: WVU: nothing great, decent tailgating, but the fans are not the most civilized.

Lane Stadium: VT: Impressive noise level for only having 65,000 seats, has a great intimidating atmosphere, especially for night games. Pretty hard to get into Blacksburg though.

Carter Finley Stadium: NCSU: went in 2004, pregame and post game was ok, game atmosphere was ok, nothing to write home about though. Easy to get in and out of though compared to other places I've been.

Memorial Stadium: Clemson: I think it's by far the best stadium in the Carolinas, and Clemson since I've moved here has become my 2nd favorite team. Beautiful setting, the entrance is unique, great tailgating atmosphere, very hard to get to though.

Williams Brice Stadium: SC: Not to bad, about the same size of Clemson, not as intimidating though, decent but not great pre & post game tailgating atmosphere, pretty cheap tickets though.

Neyland Stadium: Ten: My favorite stadium outside of Ohio Stadium. The tailgating is unreal, the Volunteer Navy rocks, is the only stadium I've been to that seems louder than Ohio Stadium, not as nice architecturaly though.

Royal Memorial Stadium: Tex: Awesome pre and post game atmosphere, very welcoming to visiting fans, (I was even more embarrased how some Buckeye fans treated Tex fans the year before in Columbus, after the hospitalilty shown to us by Tex fans), surprisingly not a very loud stadium for it's size.

Husky Stadium: Washington: This may have the most beautiful setting of any stadium in the country, right on a cove on Lake Washington. UW's campus is awesome too. Pregame and post game atmosphere is pretty good

Sun Devil Stadium: Ariz St: While it was 2 Fiesta Bowls, the 2003 NC game where OSU beat Miami, and the 2006 game where OSU beat ND, I didn't think too much of the stadium. It got loud, but not intimidatingly loud, it wasn't the best looking stadium of all, and being a bowl game, the pregame and post game atmosphere was great. ASU does have som very good looking co-eds though, so, if you go to a game, you always have that to look forward to

Rubber Bowl: Akron: pretty crappy if you ask me
Stambaugh Stadium: Youngstown State: not bad for a Div 1AA stadium, crowd was into the game pretty good, decent tailgating.
Nippert Stadium: Cincinnati: nothing good to say about this place imo.
Pedan(sp?) Stadium: Ohio U: no one pays attn to the game, b/c everyon has partied too hard b4 hand, and is resting to party up after the game.

Some high schools, (in Ohio) have better stadiums than the above college stadiums I have been to at the smaller Ohio schools. Fawcet Stadium in Canton, home of the Canton McKinley High School, and host of the Pro Football HOF game and induction ceremony holds more people and is better than those ones. Same w/ Paul Brown Stadium, home of the Massillon High School, and host of the Ohio High School State Title games.

Stadiums I'd still like to attend:
Spartan Field: Michigan State
Kinnick Stadium: Iowa
TCB Bank Stadium: Minnesota (when it's finished, it will be a gorgeous facility, and could help bring Minnesota back to respectibility)
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium: Florida
Sanford Stadium: Georgia
Death Valley: LSU
Bryant Denny Stadium: Alabama
Mississippi's Stadium (don't know the name, but I want to go check out The Grove more than the stadium)
Memorial Stadium: Nebraska: I heard they are the nicest fans in college football
Kyle Field: Texas A & M
Autzen Stadium: Oregon
Aloha Stadium: Hawaii (though I hear their fans are complete *******s to visiting fans)
Mitchie Stadium: Army (that's what college football is all about)

If someone gives me a good reason to check out another stadium, I very well may put it on that 2nd list. I love going to different places for games.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
I've been to:

Rutgers Stadium (Rutgers)
Kenan Stadium (UNC)
Death Valley (Clemson)
The Horseshoe (Ohio State)
The Big House (Michigan)
Nippert (Cincinnati)
Carter-Finley (NC State - not on college gameday though)
Slippery Rock Stadium (Slippery Rock, Pa)

Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,324 times
Attended OU, so goes without saying my favorite stadium is Owen Field in Norman, OK.

Stadiums I have attended

Rose Bowl-just ok, very wine and cheese oriented-not very loud
LA Coliseum-very large, not very loud-but impressive considering its Olympic history
Sun Devil Stadium
Univ of CA Berkeley
Univ of WA Husky Stadium-very pretty
Univ of Tulsa-Skelly Stadium
Cotton Bowl-Dallas, TX

Stadiums I would like to go to

Univ of Michigan-The Big House
Univ of Alabama
Notre Dame
Univ of Nebraska-Memorial Stadium

Old 08-08-2008, 12:07 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times
I've been to:

The Big House - Michigan - My favorite. I went to one game and was able to walk on the field during the offseason on a trip up there. The softest grass I have ever walked on.

Notre Dame - I got to see ND lose to BYU, great game. I also got to walk on the field after the game, that was cool.

Memorial Stadium - Indiana University - Went to one game here, got to sit in the student section ( even though I wasn't a student ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football