Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM

159 posts, read 321,978 times

Advertisements

So here is an odd question, but wonder how many people out there experience this. Does College Cafeteria food cause stomach issues....??? The problem becomes much worse when the campus food is eaten. We were wondering about gluten intolerance....but also wonder if it is something else like greasy food?

Just thought I would ask if this is common or only for my son the last three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Ask your son to keep a food diary for a few days. He can then zero in on what he ate before he starts to feel sick.

My oldest and youngest love their college food. They stick to grilled meats, fish, fruits and vegetables.
Middle son leans more towards the greasy chicken fingers, fries, etc. He's the one always complaining about his dining hall.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Could it just be the stress/pressure of school?

My daughter goes to University of Montana in Missoula.....there are food eating places all over campus, but the main dining center is fantastic! There is something for everybody, all types of foods. During orientation in August, the main dietician spoke to the parents.......if there are issues, they want to know about it ASAP. Does your son's school have a person that he can talk to about this? (Maybe he can start out in the counseling office and they can direct him). Is there a medical center on campus where he can go for some allergy testing? If it is something such as gluten intolerance, they can tell him what to avoid......there are so many hidden ingredients in foods nowadays. Maybe he is allergic to a preservative. Does he take any probiotic pills? Our family takes PB-8. Maybe that would help. How is he with milk products--lactose intolerance can be very hard on a system.

It's so hard to hear when your kids are not feeling well and they are far from home. I hope he feels better soon.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 AM

159 posts, read 321,978 times
I just bought him some of the PB-8, ironically. I am taking it to him this weekend. He says the food tastes good going down....just gets bloated later. He is starting to dread eating. He would never go to anyone on campus and talk about it! I am going to see if I can get him to avoid dairy products for a week and see if that might be the cause. Then I guess we will try the gluten approach. I don't want to mention where he attends, because we love EVERYTHING about the school! He loves it and is doing so well there except for this problem.

How do you take the PB-8? Just two in the morning?

Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Depends on what he is eating. The first two schools I went to had cafeteria and buffet style dining that, based on your food choices, could be healthy or unhealthy. The second school also had a food court area with restaurants, which the school I go to now also has. That is all fast-food, same as if you stopped at a chain fast-food place on the road.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
I just bought him some of the PB-8, ironically. I am taking it to him this weekend. He says the food tastes good going down....just gets bloated later. He is starting to dread eating. He would never go to anyone on campus and talk about it! I am going to see if I can get him to avoid dairy products for a week and see if that might be the cause. Then I guess we will try the gluten approach. I don't want to mention where he attends, because we love EVERYTHING about the school! He loves it and is doing so well there except for this problem.

How do you take the PB-8? Just two in the morning?
We take one in the a.m. We've been taking it for years, so our systems kinda expect it. I don't think two would hurt, especially in the beginning. It's funny......some stores have this brand refrigerated, some don't. If I buy a bottle and stock up, I'll refrigerate it, but after it is opened up, I just keep it in a sack with the rest of the vitamin jars until it goes into our little daily/weekly pill dispensers.... And I do a lot of ordering online.....PB-8 can be expensive if you buy it in health types-of-stores.....if you want to know where I buy it most of the time, just pm me. (Not sure if I can publicly say it here as it might be seen as advertising).

I don't think it's the particular school or else you would have heard about it by now. Something that he is consuming is not setting right with his system. Is he eating a lot of peanut butter? Sometimes allergies can develop out of nowhere...

Even though he knows it all already, (they all do at that age--heck, I did!!!!), set him down and make a list with everthing dairy on it that he needs to cut out.....it's so easy to grab things when you are hungry, especially when it smells good and other kids are grabbing it....pizza, milk, ice cream bars, shredded cheese on tacos, cheese at the salad bar, burritos have cheese in them, milk on cold cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese.....and have him ask the server if they mix milk with the scrambled eggs, pancake mix, etc.... (find substitutes: he can get calcium from orange juice this week)

Is he eating a lot of salads? Boy, they can bloat you up!

My husband got bad food poisoning returning from Europe a few years back which led to other things....he was pretty sick for several weeks. A doctor finally told him to take Colon Health and that helped him out, but it didn't happen over night. It was fairly new on the market at that time and not easy too find, but I think lots of stores have it now. The box is kinda purplish-pinkish.

I think the other posters have offered good ideas. Being afraid to eat is not good......poor kid. I know you are worried and I hope he improves soon.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
So here is an odd question, but wonder how many people out there experience this. Does College Cafeteria food cause stomach issues....??? The problem becomes much worse when the campus food is eaten. We were wondering about gluten intolerance....but also wonder if it is something else like greasy food?

Just thought I would ask if this is common or only for my son the last three years.
Any diet changes can trigger digestion issues. The preservatives in the food, if they buy generic restaurant supply stuff, is just terrible for you. It usually does contain a form of gluten.

PB-8 is dairy based. If you are concerned about dairy you need to take a vegan option. He sounds like he is having campus anxiety. I suggest he talks to someone OFF campus. On campus can report if they find a student mentally unstable and screw up his progress. They are there to protect the school, not your kid as an individual.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Bloating could be a sign of intestional gas backing into the stomach. Lactose intolorence is my problem along with the occasional upset stomach due to the grease/oil a place may be using to prepare the food.

A place that does not replace their oil often enough (donut places/french fries) will cause me a headache in the gut. Things to consider.

Best thing is to avoid certain things in the daily diet to narrow down the problem source.

One time I dysentary problems after eating at a Arbys roast beef and their malts. Saw a girl wipe down the counter with a sponge and use the same sponge to wipe the malt machine mixer blade. When I commented to her about doing that she said that she was told to do it that way. Stopped eating there and NO more stomach problems. Ring a bell anyone?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
As an adult, your son should be mature enough and exercise the appropriate judgement to address this problem himself. The university has health and medical resources available to him if he decides that he needs them.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:38 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,294 times
Quote:

It wasn't stomach issues for me...more like bladder issues. Bad enough that I had to be on meds for a while. I didn't have this problem BEFORE I started attending college. Then again, my eating habits weren't all that great during my 1st year. Your son should try incorporating more fruits and veggies and less greasy crap into your diet. See if he notices a change in how he feels. I also recommend for him to keep a food diary as others have mentioned to keep track on the issue.

Best of luck to you and your son!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities