Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM

112 posts, read 255,691 times

Advertisements

I'm currently pursuing an ME (Master's of Engineering) degree. This is termed the professional Master's where I'm at. I opted out of the MS because I couldn't get funded for research and research was kind of hard to come by anyway. I figured if I had to pay for this myself then I wasn't going to put myself through hell doing research and writing a thesis.

I was just curious if anyone else has a similar degree to the ME and how it is looked at in industry? Is it comparable to an MS for most jobs? Every job posting I see says Bachelor's required, MS preferred. I never see anything about an ME. A couple of my professors who have worked in industry said that a Master's is a Master's and it's all the same.

The official degree that I will get is a Master's of Engineering in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Your profs are right. I'm doing a double non-thesis (NUCL and AAE) at a tier-1 (or close at least) and we don't have a distinction between MS and ME. It's just a "non-thesis" MS. I'd just put MS on your resume and be prepared to explain your choice of non-thesis route.

Unless they're a national laboratory or a company big into egghead R&D (and most aren't) most employers are going to be fine with getting a MS who's not all wrapped up in the world of published research. MS research can sometimes be off-putting to a company that wants you to work on something different from your thesis topic.

My impression is that the thesis route is highly geared toward going for a PhD and teaching/research.

I'm not sure if writing a thesis is worse than the extra classwork (6 hours or so here) that you have to do, instead. Because I'm a masochist, I'm doing some research work as well, and it's lower-pressure than the advanced coursework. Then again, I don't have to formally defend it, which I imagine would be kind of nerve-wracking.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 PM

That's pretty much what I figured but I was just curious to see what other peoples opinions were. What's your major if you don't mind me asking

Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Nuclear Engineering and Aerospace Engineering. I like easy topics.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Ahhhh...its a piece of cake right. Not like Its rocket science or anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities