Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlfrank View Post
Is it necessary to include GPA in resume? 'Cause my GPA is low, about 3.1, so I am afraid this would reduce the employers's interest in the first impression. But if I don't include GPA, will they assume I am hidding something? I am so confused now. Need your advice. Thank you.
Btw, I am a grad student in EE

out of school, i know it matters some for an MD, and probably in some other fields.

i was more tech-oriented, and in my field GPA was at most a formality. i never added it to my resume, and no one ever asked for it. plenty of employers will ask for your transcript for proof that you're not a liar, and if they care about GPA, they will look at it then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Leave it out. It's going to be too HIGH or too LOW.
This is the advice I was given.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I would not list it unless asked.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I work in a desirable field and with our college graduate training program, we often get 3,000+ resumes for a training class of 12. GPA is the first criteria we use to "weed out". When I go on campus recruiting trips, the resumes with below 3.5 GPAs (or those who don't list one at all) often end up in the airport trash can and never even make it back to the corporate recruiter's desk.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Is it necessary to include GPA in resume? 'Cause my GPA is low, about 3.1, so I am afraid this would reduce the employers's interest in the first impression. But if I don't include GPA, will they assume I am hidding something? I am so confused now. Need your advice. Thank you.
What job are you applying for? That can make a big difference.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
TurtleCreek80 -- do you ask for people to list GPAs, or are you just assuming that they do? Do you look for indicators that a student does have a decent GPA (references to graduating with honors, membership in Phi Beta Kappa, etc.)

Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
TurtleCreek80 -- do you ask for people to list GPAs, or are you just assuming that they do? Do you look for indicators that a student does have a decent GPA (references to graduating with honors, membership in Phi Beta Kappa, etc.)
99% of our summer interns and executive trainees are interviewed and hired via campus recruiting from top schools in my field. They are coached & prepped enough by professors/ career office / academic advisors/ our current interns & trainees to know exactly what to do resume-wise to get noticed.

FYI, I work in the fashion industry as a Senior Buyer, so most applicants are coming up through business / marketing (where the retail classes are typically housed) majors, merchandising/ textile science majors, or other misc majors (but with excellent relevant experience). I have noticed a some students will only list their major GPA, whether it's marketing / management/ other relevant degree. As long as it's over 3.5 and they interview well, I ususally give them a pass onto the next round....but I can read between the lines to know their overall GPA is much weaker. Of course we want well-rounded people who are strong at writing/ communication/ analysis, but we also want and need people who show a strong aptitude and passion for retail- which is one of those half art/ half science fields as far as using current data to predict future customer behaviors....I've been around long enough to realize you don't always get every strength in every hire.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:09 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
I do not think I would put it but it may be asked in your interview, what is your GPA.
To which you can answer 3.1 but let me explain.

I worked hard for my grade and while some may feel it is low I want you to know that I paid for my college outright. I attended school along with working full time and raising a family. I am proud of my 3.1 GPA.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
No, you generally don't need to include your GPA on your resume. Once you get work experience, people won't care much about what your GPA was 5 years ago. I'd only put it on as an extra item if it is notably high.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I suppose it depends on what field you are in, but I have never, never had a job where they cared one bit what my GPA was. All that mattered was that I had the degree.

You think a lot about GPA in college but employers usually don't care at all depending on the major. The interview is 99% of what gets you the job in my field so work on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities