Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM

304 posts, read 745,232 times

Advertisements

I have a question: I hear about students getting their masters or PhD's who have a full ride of some sort, I guess a scholarship, AND the school PAYS them a stipend! My cousin is doing a masters in history I believe at a FL state Uni, and he told me the school pays his degree and gives hima stipend to live off of.

Does anyone know more about this? Would this just be some scholarship that he happened to qualify for as a young, single student? (I am a 37 yr old student lol, dont know what I would qualify for scholarship wise for my masters)............ Also read about PhD progs that pay the student. When I began the current masters program I am in, I filled out the standard form where the school is supposed to inform you if you qualify for any scholarships or grants etc..............

Thanks for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
often times there are teaching jobs tied to that stipend for a masters unless you are in prestigeous program tied to very selective process for choosing applicants
like the creative writing program at U of Houston which takes like 10 people per year--from thousands of applicants

read the catalogues of universities carefully
there is usally explanation of scholarships/financial aid available and consider VERY carefully what you are going to do IF you don't get a full ride scholarship that pays for all college tuition/books AND living expenses--
there are so few of those in any program you can count them on one hand--
MOST people going to grad school full time wind up taking out loans and spending a s---load of money to support themselves, graduating with over 100K in debt, and then not getting jobs that allow them to actually pay for their loans--so they return to school and take on MORE debt getting a PhD in order to avoid paying what they owe for their grad school
it is a vicious cycle that college/unis support because THEY need to pay their professors,deans, heating bills, etc...
interesting article in the NYTimes recently about law school grads and their growing disillusionment with going through law school and coming out with huge debt and no job...
more than half law schools out that are basically diploma mills turning out attorneys with degrees that law firms don't want to hire and who can't find jobs in private sector companies that will pay them enough to cover their loans...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
As a low-30's grad student who came back on his own dime after 5 years in industry, most of those scholarships come with strings attached, just like those offered by employers.

Your best bet is to do research under a professor. This will pay a good chunk of your bills, but don't expect to make money unless you take additional side-jobs as a grader or externally. Then, of course, you'll have a hard time keeping up with your own coursework and maintaining a good GPA. Plus, it's VERY hard for an external incoming student to convince a professor to hire them. Those jobs generally go to undergrads going straight in, or those who are oriented to become professors themselves. Profs don't have much interest in guys headed back into industry, so if you aren't planning to spend the rest of your life in a Uni lab with a PhD, lie about it.

Basically there's two funded routes: University-employed, or Industry-employed. Either way, you're beholden to the Uni or Industry (or Government--many opportunities in the DOD and some research branches) for 2-4 years after they've paid your way.

My wife and were in the town of our Uni and met the resident requirements--state-sponsored school. We're massively frugal and can work until we drop, so we managed to finish a triad of degrees (MBA-her and double-Engineering MS's-me) for about 60K in total (including living expenses). Which we already had in savings. We were hoping to get TA jobs and break even, but that's not really possible if you're outside the system.

If you're working for a big-name company, consider using your company's grad school program. They often pay you for the time you spend in class and cover tuition and books. It takes longer and I don't think you get the same benefit as concentrated Uni work where you're free to just pick up random projects and classes that you like, but if you don't have the luxury of a flush savings account you're going to have to work for The Man one way or another.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
I have a question: I hear about students getting their masters or PhD's who have a full ride of some sort, I guess a scholarship, AND the school PAYS them a stipend! My cousin is doing a masters in history I believe at a FL state Uni, and he told me the school pays his degree and gives hima stipend to live off of.

Does anyone know more about this? Would this just be some scholarship that he happened to qualify for as a young, single student? (I am a 37 yr old student lol, dont know what I would qualify for scholarship wise for my masters)............ Also read about PhD progs that pay the student. When I began the current masters program I am in, I filled out the standard form where the school is supposed to inform you if you qualify for any scholarships or grants etc..............

Thanks for any assistance.
It depends on the program. Age and marital status have nothing to do with it. I got a full ride plus stipend and some book money, and I was married. The only string was that I was not allowed to hold an outside job; school WAS my job.

I'm rather surprised that your cousin in Florida is getting a stipend for just a master's, though. Usually the fellowships are restricted to those going for a PhD, or in some cases, those who are getting master's degrees in fields with no attached PhD available. It's possible that your cousin is either (a) really lucky, (b) getting the MA on his way to the PhD, or (c) is getting the stipend in return for school-related work, like teaching or serving as a research assistant. Still, at many of the history programs I looked at even those positions were limited to primarily people who were going the full PhD route. (then again, many programs won't even accept students who are not going for the full PhD)

Are you thinking of trying to find a new school, or just wrangle up funding for your current program? It seems to really vary heavily by specific field, and the best funding packages also generally seem to come from very competitive programs, and again, often just for PhD students. TA jobs and other school-affiliated positions might be easier to come by, though, and are certainly worth investigating.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
As a low-30's grad student who came back on his own dime after 5 years in industry, most of those scholarships come with strings attached, just like those offered by employers.

Your best bet is to do research under a professor. This will pay a good chunk of your bills, but don't expect to make money unless you take additional side-jobs as a grader or externally. Then, of course, you'll have a hard time keeping up with your own coursework and maintaining a good GPA. Plus, it's VERY hard for an external incoming student to convince a professor to hire them. Those jobs generally go to undergrads going straight in, or those who are oriented to become professors themselves. Profs don't have much interest in guys headed back into industry, so if you aren't planning to spend the rest of your life in a Uni lab with a PhD, lie about it.
Yea, this is how it went for me. I knew both profs I worked for very well. Under one I TA'd his organic labs as a primary instructor. This provided a stipend and paid for school. I also RA'd under another prof at the same time, which provided ok money. Between the two, I was earning enough to survive. My grades didn't suffer tho. I also planned my wedding while a grad student. That was a real time suck.

Quote:
If you're working for a big-name company, consider using your company's grad school program. They often pay you for the time you spend in class and cover tuition and books. It takes longer and I don't think you get the same benefit as concentrated Uni work where you're free to just pick up random projects and classes that you like, but if you don't have the luxury of a flush savings account you're going to have to work for The Man one way or another.
My co offers money for school as well. 10k a year for classes and if going for a PhD a full ride. An employee is required to stick around for a year or two following the award of a degree.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM

80 posts, read 400,283 times
i think natural science/engineering grad schools offer way more stipend than social science/art fields. people i know are getting about 30k a year in grad school, but again, they are working 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week, and some of their mentors do not give a damn about what they are doing.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

Basically there's two funded routes: University-employed, or Industry-employed. Either way, you're beholden to the Uni or Industry (or Government--many opportunities in the DOD and some research branches) for 2-4 years after they've paid your way.

My wife and were in the town of our Uni and met the resident requirements--state-sponsored school. We're massively frugal and can work until we drop, so we managed to finish a triad of degrees (MBA-her and double-Engineering MS's-me) for about 60K in total (including living expenses). Which we already had in savings. We were hoping to get TA jobs and break even, but that's not really possible if you're outside the system.

Sponger:

I wish I was working for a big name, I am not.

I am trying to understand some parts of your reply: when you speak about being an assistant to a professor, is that something you arrange personally between yourself and the prof or is that part of assistanceships or TA jobs? I spoke to a Uni today that said, yes, we have TA/assistanceship positions, many cover 100% tuition. I dont know if thats what you are reffering to in doing research under a professor.......

also, when you say you and your wife couldnt get TA jobs because you are outside the system, I am unclear as to what that means? I am in the same state as the potential Uni....

thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It depends on the program. Age and marital status have nothing to do with it. I got a full ride plus stipend and some book money, and I was married. The only string was that I was not allowed to hold an outside job; school WAS my job.

I'm rather surprised that your cousin in Florida is getting a stipend for just a master's, though. Usually the fellowships are restricted to those going for a PhD, or in some cases, those who are getting master's degrees in fields with no attached PhD available. It's possible that your cousin is either (a) really lucky, (b) getting the MA on his way to the PhD, or (c) is getting the stipend in return for school-related work, like teaching or serving as a research assistant. Still, at many of the history programs I looked at even those positions were limited to primarily people who were going the full PhD route. (then again, many programs won't even accept students who are not going for the full PhD)

Are you thinking of trying to find a new school, or just wrangle up funding for your current program? It seems to really vary heavily by specific field, and the best funding packages also generally seem to come from very competitive programs, and again, often just for PhD students. TA jobs and other school-affiliated positions might be easier to come by, though, and are certainly worth investigating.
Uptown:

Thank you for your reply. I dont know what my cousins deal is, could be scholarships plus a TA position.........

May I ask what kind of scholarship/"full ride" did you qualify for and what program were you in?

So thats what PhD's do, fellowships, I wasnt sure what it was called.....

I am in a program pursuing a masters now and received no special funds or grants, BUT its not in my state.........I am considering dropping it and switching to a different masters at a school here in my state.........at the school where I am I was told there are to some degree TA assistanceships available and some that cover 100% tuition, but then I am wondering OK, but where does any extra money come from to live on? I also dont know what scholarships are around. The program would be a Masters in Public Admin. It is not a very competitive program, nothing that I know of outstanding about it or the degree of MPA.

Do you know ways to get info on this subject of funding packages and their corresponding fields? Is it info one just bumps into depending on what school or program they have chosen?

Thank you very much for the very helpful info you gave me!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
I wish I was working for a big name, I am not.
I was, but I quit to go travel the world. Plus I didn't want to go to the local uni. After travelling I ended up in a town with a good Uni for what I wanted to study, so I enrolled after a bit.

Quote:
I am trying to understand some parts of your reply: when you speak about being an assistant to a professor, is that something you arrange personally between yourself and the prof or is that part of assistanceships or TA jobs? I spoke to a Uni today that said, yes, we have TA/assistanceship positions, many cover 100% tuition. I dont know if thats what you are reffering to in doing research under a professor.......
The Uni will try to place you if you ask, but profs can and will give 1st priority to students they know and like. So schmoozing with a prof who is doing research you're interested in will be a good idea for you to get a R[esearch]A. T[eaching]A's usually are drawn from students who did well in the class that they then TA for. Since you're probably not fresh outta the undergrad class, TAships will be hard to find. Try checking prof's profiles and pick one who does research you're interested in. Meet with him/her and try to sell yourself as a motivated RA. Sometimes they will not have the money to hire a RA.

I was unlucky because the Nuke prof I wanted to work for quit while we were out gallavanting around the globe. Every other prof was doing stuff that was damn boring so I just decided to suck it up and go it alone on my own dime. Gave me lots of freedom.

Quote:
also, when you say you and your wife couldnt get TA jobs because you are outside the system, I am unclear as to what that means? I am in the same state as the potential Uni....
If the Uni has in-state tuition you're in luck then. Outside the system meant I was coming from industry without industry money/backing. I schmoozed some profs, but I hadn't taken courses in the Uni for 6 years, so my connections were cold. I didn't want to stick around for 4-6 years to get a PhD.

I just wanted a MS so I could make more money in industry. I just want to graduate and get a job. I don't give a flying ***k about their research, really. Academia and Industry don't mix well, and when you're just out to get a job for yourself, the Uni and profs have no real motivation to take you on. Thus you're outside the system. I'm not good at faking interest in stuff that bores me stupid. If you want to get a PhD, you'll be more likely to be able to pick up funding. I knew I couldn't stand more than 2 years of school going in, so I didn't bother applying for anything with "Doctorate" in the description.

If one of the profs was doing research I was interested in, it'd be a different story. Instead, I scrounged around for some way to pursue my own projects, allied with a student group and built myself a fun little rocket engine that only one prof in a broke (couldn't afford an RA) was interested in. It was a neat experience, but it didn't get me any money. Still, the alternative was to burn up 20 hours a week staring at optical devices or something equally dull for relative peanuts worth of pay, so I'm not too unhappy with my choice. At least I've got some great videos of our engine to show potential employers that, yes, I can make stuff go and I know which end the fire's supposed to come out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities